Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is drywall an electrical hazard?

Sorry, didn't have another way to say it. Anyway, while hacking the drywall
to see if the old Romex was stapled to the wall I got plaster on the wire
side of the outlet. Made me wonder, if I have old drywall dust on the
outlet is that a fire hazard? Sweeping it away is of course an option and I
did but at the time it fell on the outlet it was live and I didn't want to
get electricuted.

I know drywall is fire rated, but is it a conductor of electricity?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
Sorry, didn't have another way to say it. Anyway, while hacking the
drywall to see if the old Romex was stapled to the wall I got plaster on
the wire side of the outlet. Made me wonder, if I have old drywall dust
on the outlet is that a fire hazard? Sweeping it away is of course an
option and I did but at the time it fell on the outlet it was live and I
didn't want to get electricuted.

I know drywall is fire rated, but is it a conductor of electricity?

Not combustable or conductive. Just vacuum or blow it out

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
Sorry, didn't have another way to say it. Anyway, while hacking the
drywall to see if the old Romex was stapled to the wall I got plaster on
the wire side of the outlet. Made me wonder, if I have old drywall dust
on the outlet is that a fire hazard? Sweeping it away is of course an
option and I did but at the time it fell on the outlet it was live and I
didn't want to get electricuted.

I know drywall is fire rated, but is it a conductor of electricity?

It's gypsum. Last I checked, the world was not on fire due to gypsum
catching fire and it typically doesn't conduct.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
Sorry, didn't have another way to say it. Anyway, while hacking the
drywall to see if the old Romex was stapled to the wall I got plaster on
the wire side of the outlet. Made me wonder, if I have old drywall dust
on the outlet is that a fire hazard? Sweeping it away is of course an
option and I did but at the time it fell on the outlet it was live and I
didn't want to get electricuted.

I know drywall is fire rated, but is it a conductor of electricity?

It's gypsum. Last I checked, the world was not on fire due to gypsum
catching fire and it typically doesn't conduct.

That would be the operable word there - "typically".

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
Sorry, didn't have another way to say it. Anyway, while hacking the drywall
to see if the old Romex was stapled to the wall I got plaster on the wire
side of the outlet. Made me wonder, if I have old drywall dust on the
outlet is that a fire hazard? Sweeping it away is of course an option and I
did but at the time it fell on the outlet it was live and I didn't want to
get electricuted.

I know drywall is fire rated, but is it a conductor of electricity?

The answer is No. Electrical boxes often have
drywall dust in them because the drywallers are
not careful. It is not a problem until you get it
wet (and then it would be the water that is the
conductor).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message

I know drywall is fire rated, but is it a conductor of electricity?

It's gypsum. Last I checked, the world was not on fire due to gypsum
catching fire and it typically doesn't conduct.

That would be the operable word there - "typically".

Poor choice of words. Gypsum does not conduct electricity. Period. All
the time, No. Operable word: NO

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. net...

Put enough water into it and it'll conduct .

Seriously, I thought the question was kind of silly to begin with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
. ..

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. net...

Put enough water into it and it'll conduct .

Seriously, I thought the question was kind of silly to begin with.

Why, because you were born with an total understanding of what constitutes
an electrical hazard?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector posted for all of us...

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
. ..

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. net...

Put enough water into it and it'll conduct .

Seriously, I thought the question was kind of silly to begin with.

Why, because you were born with an total understanding of what constitutes
an electrical hazard?

No because once AGAIN you did NO research! Did you look up gypsum on a search
engine? Of course not because you are a putz.
--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
. ..

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. net...

Put enough water into it and it'll conduct .

Seriously, I thought the question was kind of silly to begin with.

Why, because you were born with an total understanding of what constitutes
an electrical hazard?

Hardly. But a 0.00007 sec search would have yielded your answer. I use
common sense most of the time. Interestingly enough, I did do a bit of
research after the thread started. Appears gypsum is made up of calcium
sulfide and 2 molecules of water. The water is in a "dry" state but will
turn to water when it hits boiling temp. I assume at that point, the gyp
board could theoretically conduct as the water would now have ions to
transport the charge (pure water doesn't conduct electricity, or not very
well anyway). So if this is true, and you've got this installed in a 212
degree sauna, yeah, you might have some troubles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

So a simple "yes" or "no" would have answered the question, as opposed to
trying to be cute? But as you yourself just admitted, you don't actually
know if it does constitute an electrical hazard, as you can't tell what
contaminants are in it at the time I wrote the message. So basically your
answer is "I don't know, I'm just guessing but I'll show him how stupid he
is by making a smart ass comment to cover my own ignorance." As opposed to
Ed's response - a simple "no", qualified by pertinent information or Paul's
answer which was equally informative.

Thin-skinned? You betcha!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:

So a simple "yes" or "no" would have answered the question, as opposed to
trying to be cute? But as you yourself just admitted, you don't actually
know if it does constitute an electrical hazard, as you can't tell what
contaminants are in it at the time I wrote the message. So basically your
answer is "I don't know, I'm just guessing but I'll show him how stupid he
is by making a smart ass comment to cover my own ignorance." As opposed to
Ed's response - a simple "no", qualified by pertinent information or Paul's
answer which was equally informative.

You're missing the point. You're smart enough to ask stupid questions,
and stupid enough to think you're witty. Expecting anything other than
a smart ass answer to a stupid question is being optimistic. No
offense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 01:57:56 GMT, "Paul A" wrote:

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
Sorry, didn't have another way to say it. Anyway, while hacking the
drywall to see if the old Romex was stapled to the wall I got plaster on
the wire side of the outlet. Made me wonder, if I have old drywall dust
on the outlet is that a fire hazard? Sweeping it away is of course an
option and I did but at the time it fell on the outlet it was live and I
didn't want to get electricuted.

I know drywall is fire rated, but is it a conductor of electricity?

Not combustable or conductive. Just vacuum or blow it out

Please do not say "Blow". You are turning me on and makeing me hard.