Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Residential door hardware with HIGH quality locks?

Hello all -

I'm going to replace a front entry door before too much longer, trying
to decide on good (not cheap) door hardware and locks.

I'll probably choose between Schlage, Baldwin and Emtek hardware.

I realize the locksets sold by Lowe's and Home Depot box-stores are at
the low end of the product line.

Do the companies above market a "higher-grade residential" product line?
If so, where can I buy them?
Just locksmith shops?

What I'm looking for specifically:
- single deadbolt
and
- lever (with key outside)
Both keyed alike.

What I'd REALLY like is Abloy Protec cylinders inside, BUT -- I've seen
NO residentially-styled door hardware with internal locks of this quality.

Perhaps I'm not looking in the right places.

Securitysnobs.com sells Abloy deadbolts and leversets, but the
utilitarian styling is more suited to an industrial park.

There must be SOMEBODY that sells residential-styled hardware with
quality locks.
Or does one have to have stuff like that custom-assembled?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/1/2016 2:44 PM, John Albert wrote:
Hello all -

I'm going to replace a front entry door before too much longer, trying to
decide on good (not cheap) door hardware and locks.

Are you mostly interested in "quality of manufacture"? Cosmetics?
Security? etc.

I'll probably choose between Schlage, Baldwin and Emtek hardware.

I realize the locksets sold by Lowe's and Home Depot box-stores are at the low
end of the product line.

Do the companies above market a "higher-grade residential" product line?
If so, where can I buy them?
Just locksmith shops?

What I'm looking for specifically:
- single deadbolt
and
- lever (with key outside)
Both keyed alike.

I'm not sure as to the security of a lever-style "knob". I've been
looking to replace ours with real "knobs" thinking you can't lean
on them to force them to turn.

The lever is handy for places where you have your hands occupied
and want to actuate it with an elbow, etc. (The inner door
connecting garage to living space is a perfect place for this)

What I'd REALLY like is Abloy Protec cylinders inside, BUT -- I've seen NO
residentially-styled door hardware with internal locks of this quality.

Perhaps I'm not looking in the right places.

Securitysnobs.com sells Abloy deadbolts and leversets, but the utilitarian
styling is more suited to an industrial park.

Yes, that was the problem I had with the garage/house door -- brushed
nickel finish (really tacky but few choices given the other constraints
I placed on the lockset)

There must be SOMEBODY that sells residential-styled hardware with quality locks.
Or does one have to have stuff like that custom-assembled?

You might be able to "reskin" the hardware. I.e., buy a lock of the
desired security/quality and put new skin on it (from a cheaper
"residential" lockset).
Posted to alt.home.repair

the best change i made here was upgrading too touch pad locks. no key needed, just enter the code and were all in. fantastic in hard rain or zero weather..

you can buy a thousand dollar lock, but your home is only as secure as any glass window.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/1/2016 5:03 PM, bob haller wrote:
the best change i made here was upgrading too touch pad locks. no key
needed, just enter the code and were all in. fantastic in hard rain or zero
weather..

you can buy a thousand dollar lock, but your home is only as secure as any
glass window.

+1

Some years back, a new neighbor moved in. One (hot, summer) sunday, he
knocked on the door (we'd not yet been introduced).

Seems he had locked himself out of house and his infant son was
in need of getting out of the sun, etc. Locksmith wouldn't
be showing up until "after the game".

I walked over to look at his house. Came back home to fetch
a screwdriver. Removed *one* screw and dismantled his
kitchen window: "Do you want to give ME a boost, in?
Or, would you like ME to give YOU a boost?"

The look he gave me was one of mixed appreciation -- and fear!
("Who *is* this guy that he can break into my home so effortlessly?
And, without even damaging anything??!")

Most people fail to remember that a thief cares very little
about how much "inconvenience" he is causing you (getting
the window repaired, etc.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

It makes sense to buy quality locks so they last longer and don't fail.

It doesn't make sense in most areas to buy locks for security. Real burglars don't pick locks, they just kick the door down. Or break a window.

If you are more at risk than most of us for whatever reason, you need a burglar alarm and a dog.

I did make the mistake of buying a cheap lock at the big box store. I started installing it and realized there was no way I was putting this in my house. It was a matter of life and death survival - didn't want to die of shame.

I bought a more expensive lock, but not to deter burglars. They don't care.

Posted to alt.home.repair

a deadbolt with a long shackle, one that not only goes thru the door frame, but thru a stud is a good idea. my moms home was vacant and someone tried to kick the door in, but the extra long throw deadbolt stopped them
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at 7:03:39 PM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
the best change i made here was upgrading too touch pad locks. no key needed, just enter the code and were all in. fantastic in hard rain or zero weather..

you can buy a thousand dollar lock, but your home is only as secure as any glass window.

We never carry house keys anymore.

All doors have touch-pad electronic locks. The entry door pads control the
deadbolt, we don't bother locking the latch.

The garage door pad controls the opener.

One code, all doors. The odds of the batteries (or pads) dying on all doors
at the same time is pretty slim. In fact, it's pretty easy to tell when the
batteries are getting weak, so they get changed way before they die. I've
never had a failure in the 5 years since we switched over to keypads.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/1/2016 4:44 PM, John Albert wrote:
[...]

The locks I've serviced over the years,
Emtek is terrible poor quality.
Baldwin is very well made, and they send parts n/c
to me if the lock breaks.
Schlage has several quality grades. Sounds like you
might be suited with a B-160c, I think they are
called. And an A line lever set.

Please also consider Arrow, which is good quality but
lower priced than Schlage.

Please call two or three locksmiths near you
(yellow pages) and ask them for ideas.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/1/2016 7:45 PM, TimR wrote:
It makes sense to buy quality locks so they last longer and don't fail.

It doesn't make sense in most areas to buy locks for security. Real
burglars don't pick locks, they just kick the door down. Or break a
window.

Exactly. Locks just keep honest people honest. An aunt had
the entire door FRAME pulled out of her home to gain entry.

If you are more at risk than most of us for whatever reason, you need a
burglar alarm and a dog.

I did make the mistake of buying a cheap lock at the big box store. I
started installing it and realized there was no way I was putting this in my
house. It was a matter of life and death survival - didn't want to die of
shame.

A lot of locks are trivial to "beat". And, those tricks have been
widely circulated (so it's not like a bad guy won't KNOW them!)

I bought a more expensive lock, but not to deter burglars. They don't
care.

Buy a lock (cylinder and mechanism) that isn't going to give *you*
trouble in using it. And, for which you can readily cut more keys!

Years ago, I had Medeco cylinders on my deadbolts. Very fine
quality. But, damn near impossible to get keys cut! frown
Posted to alt.home.repair

John Albert writes:

I'll probably choose between Schlage, Baldwin and Emtek hardware.

My door guy recommends Emtek.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/2/2016 8:10 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
John Albert writes:

I'll probably choose between Schlage, Baldwin and Emtek hardware.

My door guy recommends Emtek.

The back door, through the years it kept getting harder and harder to
open and close. I finally got around to fixing it when I realized the
doorknob was going to get pulled off if I didn't get around to doing
what needed to be done. So it was drill, cut, chisel chisel, reset the
strike plate etc. No more butt bumps to get it closed all the way or
risk pulling the knob off to open it and next year I might even redo the
weather seals. I suppose I'll have to do it all again in another 15 or
20 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/2/2016 9:10 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
John Albert writes:

I'll probably choose between Schlage, Baldwin and Emtek hardware.

My door guy recommends Emtek.

As a locksmith, I've had Emtek locks apart.
I think the quality is terrible.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

John Albert writes:

I'll probably choose between Schlage, Baldwin and Emtek hardware.

My door guy recommends Emtek.

As a locksmith, I've had Emtek locks apart.
I think the quality is terrible.

And your opinion between Schlage and Baldwin?

Posted to alt.home.repair

And your opinion between Schlage and Baldwin?

Baldwin (the ones I've worked on) have been
very nice quality. As good as the Schlage high
end locks (D line for knob sets, for example).

Actually, Schlage D line knobs / levers and the
Baldwin are about equivilant. Both excellent.

I'm unsure what that converts to in Schlage
deadbolts.

Baldwin and Schlage use the same keyway, depth
and spacing. Most Schlage use the C keyway, which
is same as Baldwin's keyway.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

John Albert writes:

I'll probably choose between Schlage, Baldwin and Emtek hardware.

My door guy recommends Emtek.

As a locksmith, I've had Emtek locks apart.
I think the quality is terrible.

You're not a locksmith, and your opinion doesn't match
that of the professionals I deal with, nor does it match
the general consensus on the internet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/2/2016 11:17 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Stormin Mormon writes:
As a locksmith, I've had Emtek locks apart.
I think the quality is terrible.

You're not a locksmith, and your opinion doesn't match
that of the professionals I deal with, nor does it match
the general consensus on the internet.

Opinion of one troll noted. Now, go play.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/2/16 9:47 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
As a locksmith, I've had Emtek locks apart.
I think the quality is terrible.

OK, as a locksmith, you're the guy I'll rephrase my question to.

I'm looking for RESIDENTIAL door hardware (I'd prefer a lever over a knob).
I also want a separate single deadbolt lock.

Lever + deadbolt.
Each with its own lock.
Both keyed alike.

I DON'T want the cheap stuff.
I'm willing to pay more.
I won't say that cost is no object, but I'm willing to pay to about
$250-275 for hardware/locks. Maybe a little more.

Which manufacturer should I be looking at?
Again, this is for a home, not a business, etc. (insofar as styling is
concerned).

OK, locksmith.
What would YOU put on your own doors?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 12:33:03 PM UTC-5, John Albert wrote:
On 3/2/16 9:47 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
As a locksmith, I've had Emtek locks apart.
I think the quality is terrible.

OK, as a locksmith, you're the guy I'll rephrase my question to.

I'm looking for RESIDENTIAL door hardware (I'd prefer a lever over a knob).

In some countries a lever is code, by the way. It has to do with disability access I think.

Having used both I prefer the lever also.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 12:47:00 PM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 12:33:03 PM UTC-5, John Albert wrote:
On 3/2/16 9:47 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
As a locksmith, I've had Emtek locks apart.
I think the quality is terrible.

OK, as a locksmith, you're the guy I'll rephrase my question to.

I'm looking for RESIDENTIAL door hardware (I'd prefer a lever over a knob).

In some countries a lever is code, by the way. It has to do with disability access I think.

Having used both I prefer the lever also.

Without a doubt. My entry doors are all lever. If I enough extra cash lying
around, I'd change all the interior doors also. Kind of hard to justify
just for the convenience though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Mar 2016 12:32:55 -0500, John Albert
wrote:

OK, as a locksmith, you're the guy I'll rephrase my question to.

I'm looking for RESIDENTIAL door hardware (I'd prefer a lever over a knob).
I also want a separate single deadbolt lock.

Lever + deadbolt.
Each with its own lock.
Both keyed alike.

I DON'T want the cheap stuff.
I'm willing to pay more.
I won't say that cost is no object, but I'm willing to pay to about
$250-275 for hardware/locks. Maybe a little more.

Which manufacturer should I be looking at?
Again, this is for a home, not a business, etc. (insofar as styling is
concerned).

OK, locksmith.
What would YOU put on your own doors?

John,

Check this site. Many places use them for security locations...(prison
/military/businesses, etc.)

"Medeco manufactures a variety of products for homes and
businesses. Whether you need decorative hardware with a high security
cylinder for your front door or a variety of security levels,
including access control, auditing and scheduling for your business,
Medeco can help."

http://www.medeco.com/en/site/medeco/solutions/dss/

They may have what you need. They are expensive.

YMMV

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/2/2016 12:32 PM, John Albert wrote:
On 3/2/16 9:47 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
As a locksmith, I've had Emtek locks apart.
I think the quality is terrible.

OK, as a locksmith, you're the guy I'll rephrase my question to.

I'm looking for RESIDENTIAL door hardware (I'd prefer a lever over a knob).
I also want a separate single deadbolt lock.

Lever + deadbolt.
Each with its own lock.
Both keyed alike.

I DON'T want the cheap stuff.
I'm willing to pay more.
I won't say that cost is no object, but I'm willing to pay to about
$250-275 for hardware/locks. Maybe a little more.

Which manufacturer should I be looking at?
Again, this is for a home, not a business, etc. (insofar as styling is
concerned).

OK, locksmith.
What would YOU put on your own doors?

With that budget, I'd be looking at Baldwin,
(I've repaired Baldwin, but not sure what it
costs) or Schlage A line for the lever. And
B460 for the deadbolt.

BTW, my mobile home is protected by Kwikset.
Locking door knobs, and a deadbolt on both
doors.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Mar 2016 17:09:18 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

BTW, my mobile home is protected by Kwikset.
Locking door knobs, and a deadbolt on both
doors.

My house is protected by fire arms.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

BTW, my mobile home is protected by Kwikset.
Locking door knobs, and a deadbolt on both
doors.

My house is protected by fire arms.

Do you have any fire legs and fire feet? I know a gal who has a fire crotch. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Fiery Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Scott Lurndal posted for all of us...

John Albert writes:

I'll probably choose between Schlage, Baldwin and Emtek hardware.

My door guy recommends Emtek.

As a locksmith, I've had Emtek locks apart.
I think the quality is terrible.

You're not a locksmith, and your opinion doesn't match
that of the professionals I deal with, nor does it match
the general consensus on the internet.

+1 Thank you!

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

BTW, my mobile home is protected by Kwikset.
Locking door knobs, and a deadbolt on both
doors.

My house is protected by fire arms.

I was going to comment along these lines.

I want a lock that makes the knucklehead make a lot of noise for a few
seconds. Just enough time to go to level orange. If I'm not there; which is
rare these days then he can have his selection of unique junk. I got no
money or anything worth routing through the junk for. My wife will center
the laser on the chest of the offender. But I digress...

--
Tekkie

Los Angeles Emergency Locksmith 1-877-364-5264 door Locks , gate,install, repair, installtion, mailbox locks linkswanted Woodworking 7 May 1st 13 02:18 PM
Los Angeles Emergency Locksmith 1-877-364-5264 door Locks , gate,install, repair, installtion, mailbox locks moving companies Home Repair 0 December 23rd 08 05:23 PM
Locksmith Los Angeles1-877-364-5264 Los Angeles Locksmth locksmithservices, emergency locksmith, car locksmith, auto locksmith, lock picking,locks and keys, rekeying door locks, office locksmith, apartments buildinglocksmith, locks chnage, locksmith linkswanted Home Repair 0 December 17th 08 06:57 PM
Locks and Hardware OJL Home Ownership 1 October 20th 06 12:50 AM
how high is too high for residential water pressure? bugs bunny Home Repair 20 December 17th 05 08:51 PM