Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Residential door hardware with HIGH quality locks?

On 3/1/2016 4:44 PM, John Albert wrote:
Hello all -

I'm going to replace a front entry door before too much longer, trying
to decide on good (not cheap) door hardware and locks.

I'll probably choose between Schlage, Baldwin and Emtek hardware.

I realize the locksets sold by Lowe's and Home Depot box-stores are at
the low end of the product line.

Do the companies above market a "higher-grade residential" product line?
If so, where can I buy them?
Just locksmith shops?

What I'm looking for specifically:
- single deadbolt
and
- lever (with key outside)
Both keyed alike.

What I'd REALLY like is Abloy Protec cylinders inside, BUT -- I've seen
NO residentially-styled door hardware with internal locks of this quality.

Perhaps I'm not looking in the right places.

Securitysnobs.com sells Abloy deadbolts and leversets, but the
utilitarian styling is more suited to an industrial park.

There must be SOMEBODY that sells residential-styled hardware with
quality locks.
Or does one have to have stuff like that custom-assembled?

The locks I've serviced over the years,
Emtek is terrible poor quality.
Baldwin is very well made, and they send parts n/c
to me if the lock breaks.
Schlage has several quality grades. Sounds like you
might be suited with a B-160c, I think they are
called. And an A line lever set.

Please also consider Arrow, which is good quality but
lower priced than Schlage.

Please call two or three locksmiths near you
(yellow pages) and ask them for ideas.

--
..
Christopher A. Young