Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Residential door hardware with HIGH quality locks?

On 3/1/2016 2:44 PM, John Albert wrote:
Hello all -

I'm going to replace a front entry door before too much longer, trying to
decide on good (not cheap) door hardware and locks.

Are you mostly interested in "quality of manufacture"? Cosmetics?
Security? etc.

I'll probably choose between Schlage, Baldwin and Emtek hardware.

I realize the locksets sold by Lowe's and Home Depot box-stores are at the low
end of the product line.

Do the companies above market a "higher-grade residential" product line?
If so, where can I buy them?
Just locksmith shops?

What I'm looking for specifically:
- single deadbolt
and
- lever (with key outside)
Both keyed alike.

I'm not sure as to the security of a lever-style "knob". I've been
looking to replace ours with real "knobs" thinking you can't lean
on them to force them to turn.

The lever is handy for places where you have your hands occupied
and want to actuate it with an elbow, etc. (The inner door
connecting garage to living space is a perfect place for this)

What I'd REALLY like is Abloy Protec cylinders inside, BUT -- I've seen NO
residentially-styled door hardware with internal locks of this quality.

Perhaps I'm not looking in the right places.

Securitysnobs.com sells Abloy deadbolts and leversets, but the utilitarian
styling is more suited to an industrial park.

Yes, that was the problem I had with the garage/house door -- brushed
nickel finish (really tacky but few choices given the other constraints
I placed on the lockset)

There must be SOMEBODY that sells residential-styled hardware with quality locks.
Or does one have to have stuff like that custom-assembled?

You might be able to "reskin" the hardware. I.e., buy a lock of the
desired security/quality and put new skin on it (from a cheaper
"residential" lockset).