Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mail box security?

Don Y wrote in
:

On 2/15/2016 9:44 AM, philo wrote:
It seems that no matter how carefully one takes precautions, the one
thing that is going to get you is that which you have not planned
for.

Unless you are living in an area where it's a known fact that there
have been "mail box" thefts I don't think it's worth worrying about.

Here, there was a spate of instances of folks having checks stolen
from their mailboxes, washed and then rewritten (payable to CASH,
etc.)

The Uniball 207 ballpoint says that it is protection from washing checks,
etc. I use one all the time for check writing.

OTOH, I am not sure how many folks still use checks to pay bills!

Me. Makes it handier than a credit card to see when and how much I paid
for something, even long ago. I suppose I could keep a file of credit
card statements in date order - but I don't.

Of course I would take a package with valuable contents directly to
the post office.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote in
:

On 2/15/2016 11:34 AM, Frank wrote:

I put my mail out in the morning and never leave it overnight. We
had a neighborhood thief, now in jail, but there could be others.

Most of my problems are with the mail carrier giving my mail to
someone else and me getting someone else's mail. I got a check once
that had been opened, envelope stapled back together, and sent to me.

Post office makes most of their profit from the junk mailers and all
their loose crap can cause problems with stuff you want.

Speaking of which, our local paper sent out a notice that several
times a year, the paper would cost an extra dollar because of all the
extra ads.

Readers want to strangle them.

Local paper BEGS people to subscribe. A sunday paper (97.2663% ads)
was just left for us last week -- along with an "invitation" to a FREE
2 month subscription (just give us your email address and street
address).

"No thanks" (we can get the news from a variety of sources -- to
counter any "local spin" -- along with ads for any of the places we
are LIKELY to visit. Why have to throw out a stack of paper each week
for stuff that we can get elsewhere?)

But then you lose your 'free' daily sudoku and crossword!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/16/2016 10:47 AM, KenK wrote:
Don Y wrote in
:

[...]

I have a Sudoku app.

And, I'm LOUSY at crosswords! (Pretty good at Jumbles, though!)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/16/2016 10:02 AM, KenK wrote:
Don Y wrote in
:

On 2/15/2016 9:44 AM, philo wrote:
It seems that no matter how carefully one takes precautions, the one
thing that is going to get you is that which you have not planned
for.

Unless you are living in an area where it's a known fact that there
have been "mail box" thefts I don't think it's worth worrying about.

Here, there was a spate of instances of folks having checks stolen
from their mailboxes, washed and then rewritten (payable to CASH,
etc.)

The Uniball 207 ballpoint says that it is protection from washing checks,
etc. I use one all the time for check writing.

Dunno. I'm not sure how they actually *wash* the checks so wouldn't know how
to test/verify/disprove that claim.

OTOH, I am not sure how many folks still use checks to pay bills!

Me. Makes it handier than a credit card to see when and how much I paid
for something, even long ago. I suppose I could keep a file of credit
card statements in date order - but I don't.

You'd be screwed, here. No one provides canceled checks with
your statement. Few will actually *mail* you a statement!
So, you'd be forced to print online statements -- and then
keep those in date order (assuming you print "image copies"
of the checks and not just the "amount summaries").

I dropped checkwriting privileges on my last account when they
wanted to charge me $8.95/month for it! Esp when I was just writing
a couple of checks each month (to pay off credit cards -- that
were where all the day-to-day expenses were charged!)

Now, I walk into the bank and have them issue a *free* cashier's
check -- if I need one. Silly. Has to cost *them* more (and
me LESS) but that's the way they want to set up their pricing
structure (no doubt taking advantage of folks who write a lot
of checks, etc.)

For big ticket purchases, I intentionally do those on credit
cards (not debit) to gain the added protections that this
affords. And, as they are big purchases, the receipts tend
to be saved as a matter of course (esp if business related).

For the little things, SWMBO has a database that she maintains
that tracks our expenditures. While we can't look at the
line items and see what we paid for toilet paper last month,
we can make an educated guess as to which charge included a
particular purchase -- then drag out the original receipts
(up to a point; she doesn't keep them for very long).

[she did that sort of thing for a living so it was a natural
extension for her to do the same at home]

Of course I would take a package with valuable contents directly to
the post office.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y posted for all of us...

On 2/15/2016 12:33 PM, Frank wrote:

Local paper BEGS people to subscribe. A sunday paper (97.2663% ads) was
just left for us last week -- along with an "invitation" to a FREE 2 month
subscription (just give us your email address and street address).

"No thanks" (we can get the news from a variety of sources -- to counter
any "local spin" -- along with ads for any of the places we are LIKELY
to visit. Why have to throw out a stack of paper each week for stuff
that we can get elsewhere?)

Papers are dying and so is mail thanks to the internet and TV news channels.
Twenty years ago I used to spend about $30/month for postage for my part time
consulting business. Now it's about 50 cents a month.

Yup. My only "postage" costs are to mail parts/prototypes back and
forth (USPS or UPS).

I do like the on-line edition of the paper and you have to be a print
subscriber to get it for more than a few times access. Otherwise the paper
version is only useful for the funnies.

Our local paper is little more than a print edition of an AP/Reuters news feed.
About the only things they "report on" are various high school ball games.
And, it's hard to consider that "reporting".

It's even worse for TV/radio. Research costs money. They'd rather spend
that money buying some national "feed" (so, why do I need to go through
you to get to that feed?)

Anything of real *interest* ("initiatives" on which we vote pretty
regularly -- every 6 mos?) is always "spun" by the editorial staff
of the particular media outlet. So, you're never truly getting
information but, rather, "selective propaganda". (I'm surely not
going to PAY to get your OPINION)

+1 I read a book 40 years ago called 'Unreliable Sources'. It opened my eyes
up to the fact that is no real reporting done any more. It is all pap fed by
the gov't. The only news might be some kind of investigative reporting-but
start with a conclusion and follow that trail. The local paper I like sends
their people to the meetings then captures all the give and take between the
reps and the public. One can get to know the players because they frequently
send a shot across the bow. In FF I had experience with a different papers
reporters; usually they were below the quality of minimum wage fast food
workers (I am NOT condemning FF workers! It's tough) without knowledge of
what to ask.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Y" wrote in message

stuff snipped

shrug And, I suspect most folks just open the first class mail
without doublechecking the name of the addressee. Having opened
it, are they likely to stuff it back in its envelope and try to
deliver it to us? Or, just opt for the less embarassing option
and discard it??

That's happened more than once to me. Today, for the first time in perhaps
10 years, I got mail for someone at this address who hasn't lived here in 40
years. Just after we finished talking about it. What a coincidence!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/17/2016 3:53 AM, Robert Green wrote:
"Don Y" wrote in message

shrug And, I suspect most folks just open the first class mail
without doublechecking the name of the addressee. Having opened
it, are they likely to stuff it back in its envelope and try to
deliver it to us? Or, just opt for the less embarassing option
and discard it??

That's happened more than once to me. Today, for the first time in perhaps
10 years, I got mail for someone at this address who hasn't lived here in 40
years. Just after we finished talking about it. What a coincidence!

Now, we just have to start talking about receiving WINNING LOTTERY TICKETS
in the mail...

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,uk.rec.sheds

Default Kenny the KoOk talks about "Mail box security"

On 2/15/2016 8:37 AM, KenK wrote:
I've often worried about the security of my rural mail box at the end of my
driveway. To the best of my knowledge, I've never lost anything but I still
worry. I usually try to put the outgoing mail in the box within a few hours
of pickup but that can be difficult as mail-persons change. Also, I never
put mail out the night before.

Thoughts? Ever lost anything you are aware of? Mailbox theft rare?

TIA

You should worry more about stuff that really matters, like global
warming, possible war with Russia, and that dog-munching gook in North
Korea.
**** yer mailbox, asshole!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote in news:n9vvib$dgl$1@dont-
email.me:

OTOH, I am not sure how many folks still use checks to pay bills!

Me. Makes it handier than a credit card to see when and how much I

paid
for something, even long ago. I suppose I could keep a file of credit
card statements in date order - but I don't.

You'd be screwed, here. No one provides canceled checks with
your statement. Few will actually *mail* you a statement!
So, you'd be forced to print online statements -- and then
keep those in date order (assuming you print "image copies"
of the checks and not just the "amount summaries").

I'm just referring to the check register, or whatever it is called. Where
you write the check number, date, payee and amount of each check when you
write them. Of course this does not prove the check was received, cashed,
etc. but it is usually correct, in my case I can't think of a case when
it wasn't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/17/2016 10:36 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

Ah, OK. In our case, SWMBO's database serves the equivalent role.

I much preferred real, physical checks -- returned to me. I
could single out checks that were of particular importance and
staple them to any associated paperwork (warranty statements,
tax forms, etc.). Not only does this document that I made
the payment but, also, that *they* received it AND who
cashed it!

E.g., AMEX used to return the "store copies" of all of my
charge slips -- helpful in case I misplaced one of MY copies.

Then, folks moved to printing images of the documents
(sending you many images on a single sheet of paper).

Now, they don't even want to send you the paper. Instead,
you have to opt for online access -- IMO, far more potentially
compromisable than someone stealing mail from my mailbox!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/17/2016 1:05 PM, Don Y wrote:

Then, folks moved to printing images of the documents
(sending you many images on a single sheet of paper).

Now, they don't even want to send you the paper. Instead,
you have to opt for online access -- IMO, far more potentially
compromisable than someone stealing mail from my mailbox!

Twice in my life I needed a cancelled check. The last time was simple.
I logged into my bank, called up the check, printed it to a PDF file
and emailed it to the person asking for it. Problem resolved in
minutes, not days.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/17/2016 12:44 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/17/2016 1:05 PM, Don Y wrote:

Then, folks moved to printing images of the documents
(sending you many images on a single sheet of paper).

Now, they don't even want to send you the paper. Instead,
you have to opt for online access -- IMO, far more potentially
compromisable than someone stealing mail from my mailbox!

Twice in my life I needed a cancelled check. The last time was simple. I
logged into my bank, called up the check, printed it to a PDF file and emailed
it to the person asking for it. Problem resolved in minutes, not days.

Operating a business, I can't afford the cost or aggravation of
"getting my records together" in the event of an audit. I *keep*
them in order by archiving every bit of information I might need
(and am required to preserve) when it happens.

I can tell you which (LD) phone numbers I dialed, what time of day,
who I spoke to, what we discussed, how long and how much *that* call
cost -- for calls going back more than 20 years! (of course, they
aren't necessary to preserve, now, but those *were* essential records
up until 16 years ago -- for the 20 year ago data)

We don't do anything online -- if there is an alternative way to
do it.

I chuckle when I hear folks claiming "their system is secure".

"Really? Then why are your IT guys working for YOU and not
Sony, one of the big banks, Target, etc. Surely their expertice
would be better rewarded, there!?"

:

A colleague used to teach a course to seniors (a "How-to-use-the-
Internet" sort of thing). He once laughed at my concern over online
security/privacy: "Hell with 40 bit encryption, there's no way
someone's going to crack your transaction!"

(of course, that quickly proved to NOT be a barrier!)

"Oh, I'm not worried about someone snooping my network traffic.
They'd need access to my ISP, the backbone, etc. It's much easier
for them to install some malware and see what I'm doing -- in a
nice, convenient DIGITAL format -- *before* it gets encrypted!
Or, hack the financial institution that I'm using. Why bother
burning trillions of CPU cycles trying to crack my *one*
transaction when you can get ALL of them, 'in the clear'?"

Apparently, that attack vector hadn't occurred to him.
I.e., his thinking was that his possessions would be safe
because he had TWO locks on his front door -- and he'd
never think that someone would consider breaking a WINDOW
to get in! :-/
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Y" wrote in message
On 2/17/2016 3:53 AM, Robert Green wrote:

Today, for the first time in perhaps
10 years, I got mail for someone at this address who hasn't lived here

in 40
years. Just after we finished talking about it. What a coincidence!

Now, we just have to start talking about receiving WINNING LOTTERY TICKETS
in the mail...

When the wife's PC froze up and spit out a bunch of numbered error messages
today she quipped "write them down and play them on the lottery!"
Synchronicity struck again.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/17/2016 6:44 PM, Robert Green wrote:
"Don Y" wrote in message
On 2/17/2016 3:53 AM, Robert Green wrote:

Today, for the first time in perhaps
10 years, I got mail for someone at this address who hasn't lived here

in 40
years. Just after we finished talking about it. What a coincidence!

Now, we just have to start talking about receiving WINNING LOTTERY TICKETS
in the mail...

When the wife's PC froze up and spit out a bunch of numbered error messages
today she quipped "write them down and play them on the lottery!"
Synchronicity struck again.

One of my favorite gag lines when encountering serendipitous events
is to eagerly suggest (to whomever) that this -- NOW -- would be a GREAT
time to buy a lottery ticket!

A week or two ago, I was buying some coldcuts at deli counter.
Casually chatting with the guy cutting the meat. At some point,
he brought the product over to the scale for weighing and it
was spot on -- to three decimal places!

"Quick, go buy a lottery ticket!"

chuckle, chuckle

Today, at the same deli counter, same guy. Of course, much easier for me
to remember *him* than for him to remember *me* (I only encounter a
few "deli counter people" in a year! He encounters hundreds of customers
each week!).

He again came to the scale with the product in hand -- but, had overshot
the target by 0.010#. With mock disappointment, I said, "Well, no lottery
ticket, today..."

He visibly jolted as something registered in his memory. Suddenly
looked *at* me (i.e., actually SEEING me instead of just going through
the motions of waiting on me) and this huge grin crept over his face.
"Shared secret".

Wanna bet the next time I'm in there, he'll recognize me?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/18/2016 2:02 AM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

If he does, will you buy Powerball?

Yes, I've used that joke before. Not recently, but it's still good.

--
..
Christopher A. Young