Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Mail box security?

On 2/17/2016 10:36 AM, KenK wrote:
Don Y wrote in news:n9vvib$dgl$1@dont-
email.me:

OTOH, I am not sure how many folks still use checks to pay bills!

Me. Makes it handier than a credit card to see when and how much I

paid
for something, even long ago. I suppose I could keep a file of credit
card statements in date order - but I don't.

You'd be screwed, here. No one provides canceled checks with
your statement. Few will actually *mail* you a statement!
So, you'd be forced to print online statements -- and then
keep those in date order (assuming you print "image copies"
of the checks and not just the "amount summaries").

I'm just referring to the check register, or whatever it is called. Where
you write the check number, date, payee and amount of each check when you
write them. Of course this does not prove the check was received, cashed,
etc. but it is usually correct, in my case I can't think of a case when
it wasn't.

Ah, OK. In our case, SWMBO's database serves the equivalent role.

I much preferred real, physical checks -- returned to me. I
could single out checks that were of particular importance and
staple them to any associated paperwork (warranty statements,
tax forms, etc.). Not only does this document that I made
the payment but, also, that *they* received it AND who
cashed it!

E.g., AMEX used to return the "store copies" of all of my
charge slips -- helpful in case I misplaced one of MY copies.

Then, folks moved to printing images of the documents
(sending you many images on a single sheet of paper).

Now, they don't even want to send you the paper. Instead,
you have to opt for online access -- IMO, far more potentially
compromisable than someone stealing mail from my mailbox!