Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse

Default No mail box!

Will the post office deliver mail to my door if I no longer have a mail box?

Someone this afternoon slam his car into my mail box, uprooted the metal
post, the concrete anchor and completely destroyed the mail box. She backed
her car up and drove off without saying a word. I came out of my driveway
and saw him drove off and so I went after him in one direction, my neighbor
drove off at the same time and looked for him in another direction. I came
up empty but he found her and tailed her until she parked at an apartment a
few blocks north. When he asked her about why she drove off after hitting
someone's property, she said nothing and just walked off. He took down her
car model and license number.

I called and spoke to the police they sent someone by to take the
information and said basically there is nothing I can do to recover the
lost. I was not worried about the lost, I was ****ed at the lack of
courtesy to at least stop and apologize, she plowed into my front yeard and
took out my mail box at a high speed. Shouldn't she at least be ticketed
for rackless driving or leaving the scene of a "situation"??? The officer
basically shrugged and said I will get a report in a few days, I don't get
the idea he will at least go over to this lady's place to issue a warning...

Now, it's too late to erect a new mail box. I won't have it for a few days,
what will the PO do when there is not a mail box to deliver to? return the
mail? hold the mail or drop at door step?

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 16:08:35 -0500, "miamicuse"
wrote:

[...]

Yer gittin kinda ballsy following people in Miami. Speak to the Postal
person, they do "vacation" holds for mail, just let them know the
situation. See if you can at least report the police report to the
bitches insurance company.

Oren
excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

It really depends on your local driver and how nice they are. If you can go
to a local store and buy one, you can set it on top of about 4 or 5 cinder
blocks.
As for the woman, she may have been drunk. You need to find out if she is
the owner of the vehicle, so wait for the police report. If you don't get
one, then call the chief of police. She may have a relationship with one of
the cops.
Get some estimates for the work and send her a certified letter with a copy
of the estimate. In the letter, clearly state that if you don't get the
money within 10 days, you will take her to small claims court.

"miamicuse" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

miamicuse wrote:
[...]

Usually no mailbox, no mail. But you can pick up your mail at the post
office until you get a new box up. I know the feeling. Someone ran into
my car in the parking lot in front of the apartment where I lived. As he
drove off, I got his number and reported it to the police. The police
wondered why I was bothering them. He looked at me and asked, "Was
anyone hurt?" I said, "No." He said, "Then you should be reporting it to
your insurance company, not to us." Apparently it is legal to run into
someone else's car or property and then leave, at least in Massachusetts.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"miamicuse" wrote in message
Will the post office deliver mail to my door if I no longer have a mail
box?

No. You can get away with a temporary setup. If the box is not damaged, you
can stick the broken pole in a trash can or ties it to something for a few
days. Most of the delivery guys are reasonable , but don't expect them to
walk to the door.

I was ****ed at the lack of
courtesy to at least stop and apologize, she plowed into my front yeard
and
took out my mail box at a high speed. Shouldn't she at least be ticketed
for rackless driving or leaving the scene of a "situation"??? The officer
basically shrugged and said I will get a report in a few days, I don't get
the idea he will at least go over to this lady's place to issue a
warning...

Yes, it sounds like they just don't want to bother. Just the other day a car
went into a neighbor's driveway by accident. Plic said they will talk tohte
driver but nothing else, but if they went ontot he grass and left ruts or
hter damage, they would ticket. Sounds like your guys don't have or won't
take the time.

Now, it's too late to erect a new mail box. I won't have it for a few
days,
what will the PO do when there is not a mail box to deliver to? return
the
mail? hold the mail or drop at door step?

Usually hold it. If you are home, you can meet the driver and get it but
otherwise he will not leave anything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RobertM wrote:
The police
wondered why I was bothering them. He looked at me and asked, "Was
anyone hurt?" I said, "No." He said, "Then you should be reporting it to
your insurance company, not to us." Apparently it is legal to run into
someone else's car or property and then leave, at least in Massachusetts.

I'm afraid so Bob, It is not a criminal offence to leave the scene of
an accident where there have been no injuries, pretty much everywhere.

If it was an accident then there is no deliberate destruction of
property and not something the police can get involved in. The owner
of the car is obliged to pay for the damage, but the police are not
debt collectors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You were the victim of a crime...you have no rights.

call the post office and ask them what needs to be done..of course they
are a government entity also and you most likely wont get a straight
answer from them.

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"RobertM" wrote in message
miamicuse wrote:
Will the post office deliver mail to my door if I no longer have a mail

box?
(snip)
.. Someone ran into
my car in the parking lot in front of the apartment where I lived. As he
drove off, I got his number and reported it to the police. The police
wondered why I was bothering them. He looked at me and asked, "Was
anyone hurt?" I said, "No." He said, "Then you should be reporting it to
your insurance company, not to us." Apparently it is legal to run into
someone else's car or property and then leave, at least in Massachusetts.

Same thing happened to me here in SW Michigan, a year or so ago. Cops said
that unless I saw who did it, they wouldn't even do an accident report.
Called my my insurance company, since it had been my understanding a report
number was required for hit'n'run claims. They said it was, but they were
used to small-town PDs being assholes about it, and paid the claim anyway.

(This is the same PD, that when my apartment was broken into, robbed, and
trashed, first asked me whose girlfriend I was screwing, but I digress...)

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I replaced a BUNCH of boxes and poles and finally solved it once and
for all. kids would take them out all the way down the street....

My NEW pole was a heavy steel I beam set 6 feet in the ground. The next
person who hits that post is going to destroy their car, its not going
anywhere.easy to know who did it.

I painted it brite white, added lots of reflectors.

That was about 10 years ago, so far no one has hit it. amazing how
something substantial fixes carelesness.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 21:47:57 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

Yes, it sounds like they just don't want to bother. Just the other day a car
went into a neighbor's driveway by accident.

I'm confused. All he did was drive in to the wrong driveway? Did he
harm anything?

Plic said they will talk tohte
driver but nothing else, but if they went ontot he grass and left ruts or
hter damage, they would ticket. Sounds like your guys don't have or won't
take the time.

Now, it's too late to erect a new mail box. I won't have it for a few
days,
what will the PO do when there is not a mail box to deliver to? return
the
mail? hold the mail or drop at door step?

Usually hold it. If you are home, you can meet the driver and get it but
otherwise he will not leave anything.

I think after the first day or two, they don't even bring the mail
with them.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Oscar_Lives

wrote in message
oups.com...
I replaced a BUNCH of boxes and poles and finally solved it once and
for all. kids would take them out all the way down the street....

My NEW pole was a heavy steel I beam set 6 feet in the ground. The next
person who hits that post is going to destroy their car, its not going
anywhere.easy to know who did it.

I painted it brite white, added lots of reflectors.

That was about 10 years ago, so far no one has hit it. amazing how
something substantial fixes carelesness.

My neighbor did that same thing about 10 years ago. He covered his I-beam
with wood cut from a tree so it looks like a fencepost.

It is fun to see the pieces of sheetmetal, pieces of glass, anti-freeze,
oil, and bumper parts that get left on the ground about once a month. It
has been hit at least 20 times and it is still standing straight as the day
it went up.

Once a car hit it so hard it pushed the radiator back into the fan and they
drunk kids couldn't start it, so they got out and ran. My neighbor had a
lot of fun with the car with a sledgehammer and then called the sheriff to
report an abandoned junk vehicle left in front of his house!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom

Since she doesn't want to pay, find out her insurance
company and put in a claim.

You're an optimist if you really think she'll have insurance.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

I called and spoke to the police they sent someone by to take the
information and said basically there is nothing I can do to recover the
lost. I was not worried about the lost, I was ****ed at the lack of
courtesy to at least stop and apologize, she plowed into my front yeard
and
took out my mail box at a high speed. Shouldn't she at least be ticketed
for rackless driving or leaving the scene of a "situation"??? The officer
basically shrugged and said I will get a report in a few days, I don't get
the idea he will at least go over to this lady's place to issue a
warning...

Generally the police will not ticket for something they didn't witness,
unless it is pretty darn undeniable.

Obviously you can sue, but it hardly seems worth the trouble.
Be thankful you have a good neighbor and let it go at that.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 18:00:12 -0600, "HeyBub"

I'm afraid so Bob, It is not a criminal offence to leave the scene of
an accident where there have been no injuries, pretty much everywhere.

If it was an accident then there is no deliberate destruction of
property and not something the police can get involved in. The owner
of the car is obliged to pay for the damage, but the police are not
debt collectors.

Broad daylight. Streets dry. No (provable) alcohol involved. The driver
evidently passed the state test for a driver's license. Car properly tagged
and safety inspected. In other words, no discernable "cause" for the
"accident."

The act, therefore, had to be intentional and there ARE laws in every
jurisdiction for malicious destruction of property. Especially mailboxes.

How nice was the car? I'd hate to damage my car just to run over a
mailbox.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree about she should get ticketed.

No, the PO will NOT drop off your mail, unless you are really good
friends with the mail person.
They will keep your mail at the PO and you will have to pick it up.
I suggest you call the PO very early in the morning and tell them.
Otherwise your mail will be in the delivery truck all day and you wont
get it till the next day.

You can always take a 5 gal pail, put a 4x4 in it, fill pail with sand
or cement and make a temporary mailbox holder. I had to do this once
because the ground was frozen and left it this way all winter. At
least if someone hits it, it just falls over...

----------

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 15:36:32 -0600, RobertM
wrote:

miamicuse wrote:
[...]

Isn't that when you notify the city or county and tell them WHY you
are going to REFUSE to pay your local taxes? I mean, isn;t that why
we the citizens pay taxes to have law enforcement? Mailboxes are not
that costly, but it's still damage to anothers property. I guess these
big city cops are too arrogant to deal with small stuff like this...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

"Oscar_Lives" wrote

My neighbor did that same thing about 10 years ago. He covered his I-beam
with wood cut from a tree so it looks like a fencepost.

I bought about six mailboxes for my rural house. The neighborhood hoods
would play "mailbox baseball" about every three months. Drive by with a
baseball bat, hanging out the window, and hit the mailboxes that were along
rural roads.

I set a piece of schedule 40 pipe into concrete. I covered the pipe with 1
bys. I lined a new bright shiny sheetmetal mailbox with 3/8" plate and
mounted it to the top of the post. I put it a little droopy in the front
where it looked rickety, and yet the rainwater would drain out.

Wasn't long until it took a hit. The door was askew, and that was easily
fixed. I continued to replace the box or the flag or door with ones from
garage sale mailboxes when it took too good a hit. But I only had to do
that about every year.

I guess it was a rite of passage, and with every new crop of driver's
licenses came the experience of meeting the mailbox that wouldn't move.
Once I found half a bat laying on the ground.

That had to hurt. I would chuckle each time I saw a new ding on the box,
and knew that some rowdy punk had gotten his/hers/its lesson.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

"mm" wrote

How nice was the car? I'd hate to damage my car just to run over a
mailbox.

Someone who would do that would probably have sense enough to be driving
Mommy or Daddy's car.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Evodawg

ameijers wrote:

"RobertM" wrote in message
miamicuse wrote:
[...]

**** anyone working for the City, State, or Federal Government is only
putting in their time to collect their pension or retirement. Most could
careless about your problems. Would you really expect anything more from a
Government worker?

RV
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 02:15:18 GMT, Evodawg
wrote:

**** anyone working for the City, State, or Federal Government is only
putting in their time to collect their pension or retirement. Most could
careless about your problems. Would you really expect anything more from a
Government worker?

RV

When you wake-up visit your local maximum security prison and see why
you can sleep at night!

Oren
excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim McLaughlin

"miamicuse" wrote in message
Will the post office deliver mail to my door if I no longer have a mail

box?

MUCH SILLINESS SNIPPED

A. Regarding the mail, go down to your local post office tomorrow AM firs
thing and ask the local station manager;

B. Regarding the woman, immediately after the post office, call ypour
homeowners / renters insurance company, and give them all the data on the
sweetheart who hit the box.

C. Get the nane of the woman along with her license plate number. Report
it to Florida's DMV as a hit and run property damage incodent and request
that Florida DMV confirm her name, residence address and insurance carrier.

D. Once you confirmed her name and address, go to small claims court in
your county and sue her.\

E. Ignore the fool cop who told you here was nothing you could do to get a
recovery for your loss. There's a lot the cop could do but declined to
do, but he's a doughnut chomping asshole. Like most cops.

F. STOP WHINING!

-- Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Susan \(CobbersMom\)

"Steve B" wrote in message I bought about six mailboxes for my rural
house. The neighborhood hoods would play "mailbox baseball" about every
three months. Drive by with a baseball bat, hanging out the window, and
hit the mailboxes that were along
rural roads.

A few years ago on New Years Eve, about 10 p.m. at night, I was walking my
dog out to the road. Saw car lights slowly moving down the road. Soon I
could hear WHACKS every time the lights began to turn in a bit. Finally
realized it was kids like you were talking about. The dog and I hid behind
a tree as they came for my mailbox. It took a whack but then I shouted
their license plate at the top of my lungs. Those stupid kids practically
ditched the truck trying to take off. I called the cops and the next day,
they took a report from everyone on the street who had damage.
Turns out they were kids up from Illinois using daddy's work truck but being
juveniles, cops couldn't identify them to us. However, we all could turn in
receipts for a new mailbox. I found the most expensive one available,
copied and turned in that receipt and returned the mailbox for a refund.
Still have the old, beaten one up.
That was sweet!
Sue
Minocqua, WI
Yamaha '00 VStar 650 FOR SALE
'04 TW200 (mud = fun)
Kawasaki '95 Vulcan 1500 V#15937

"Do what you want and say what you feel because those that mind, don't
matter and those that matter, don't mind". ~Dr. Seuss

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 18:09:17 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"mm" wrote

How nice was the car? I'd hate to damage my car just to run over a
mailbox.

Someone who would do that would probably have sense enough to be driving
Mommy or Daddy's car.

Yeah, I forgot that teenagers do this for fun

I was never that stupid or malicious.

Steve

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

wrote:

**** anyone working for the City, State, or Federal Government is only
putting in their time to collect their pension or retirement. Most could
careless about your problems. Would you really expect anything more from a
Government worker?

That's not really fair. My friend runs a business, and her regular
carrier does favors for her.

Maybe the company tips her at Xmas, but I'm sure it's not much, like
10 dollars. The carrier does it primarily to be nice.

I don't think I've wanted any favors from my mailman, but he does shut
the gate every time he finds it shut. (which is most of the time
lately. I don't like the spring the wooden gate came with, and last
fall I tried to make a smaller one, but it isn't ready yet.)

RV

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Oscar_Lives wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Somehing like this?

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/temp/mailbox2.jpg

That one got put up by the owner of the house next foor to the one we
lived in a while ago.

But, I've heard more than once that some juristictions have laws against
installing mailbox posts which aren't easy breakaways. And violating
them could make a person liable for injuries to vehicle occupants. Go
figger....

Jeff

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Jim McLaughlin" jim.mclaughlin wrote in message

B. Regarding the woman, immediately after the post office, call ypour
homeowners / renters insurance company, and give them all the data on the
sweetheart who hit the box.

Sure, make a $20 claim and get your rates jacked or two $20 claims and get
cancelled.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim McLaughlin

You apparently have a reading comprehension problem.

I write precisely, and use words for what they actually denote.

You reading alternative meaning into what I write is really stooopid on your
part.

Nowhere did I say to the OP "...make a claim..."

I did say turn the data over to the OP's insurance company.

And thats all.

Please be sure your brain is engaged before putting your keyboard in motion.
--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

"Jim McLaughlin" jim.mclaughlin wrote in message

B. Regarding the woman, immediately after the post office, call ypour
homeowners / renters insurance company, and give them all the data on

the
sweetheart who hit the box.

Sure, make a $20 claim and get your rates jacked or two $20 claims and get
cancelled.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 22 Jan 2006 10:18:02p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jim
McLaughlin?

You apparently have a reading comprehension problem.

I write precisely, and use words for what they actually denote.

You reading alternative meaning into what I write is really stooopid on
your part.

Nowhere did I say to the OP "...make a claim..."

I did say turn the data over to the OP's insurance company.

And thats all.

Please be sure your brain is engaged before putting your keyboard in
motion.

Touchy!

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Will the post office deliver mail to my door if I no longer have a mail box?

Someone this afternoon slam his car into my mail box, uprooted the metal

I'd rather have a FEMAIL box than a mail box !!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 05:05:30 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Jim McLaughlin" jim.mclaughlin wrote in message

B. Regarding the woman, immediately after the post office, call ypour
homeowners / renters insurance company, and give them all the data on the
sweetheart who hit the box.

Sure, make a $20 claim and get your rates jacked or two $20 claims and get
cancelled.

Yeah, and theres probably at least a $100 deductible, so you wont he
anything from the insurance co.

Personally, I'd file a report with the police, then send that woman
the bill and scare her by saying you are going to take her to small
claims court. She'll probably pay. Heck, a mailbox is $10 at
Walmart. Plus your post whatever that is made of. Maybe a bag of
cement, a few bolts and some new stick on numbers. If the total is
$50, thats stretching it, unless you got a gold plated box.

Where I used to live, there were some assholes that used to drive
around and smash mailboxes with a baseball bat. At least once a year
we had to replace them. It took 3 years, but someone finally caught
the punks, and they were in BIG trouble. Of course no one ever got
reimbursed, but the cops got a nice amount from the fine from what I
heard. Actually damaging a mailbox (on purpose) is a federal offense,
but the cops apparently did not want to go that far with it, The kids
got fines and lost their drivers licenses is what I heard.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Jim McLaughlin" jim.mclaughlin wrote in message

Nowhere did I say to the OP "...make a claim..."

I did say turn the data over to the OP's insurance company.

And thats all.

Please be sure your brain is engaged before putting your keyboard in
motion.
--
Jim McLaughlin

You don't have to "make a claim", just report damage to have a check mark as
a potential problem policy holder. Homeowners are dropped for many
seemingly silly reasons. What is to be gained by reporting it? Insurance
companies do not have police power.

IMO, reporting trivial damage is stooopid on anyone's part.

Posted to alt.home.repair
MiamiCuse

Jim McLaughlin wrote:
"miamicuse" wrote in message
Will the post office deliver mail to my door if I no longer have a mail

box?

MUCH SILLINESS SNIPPED

A. Regarding the mail, go down to your local post office tomorrow AM firs
thing and ask the local station manager;

B. Regarding the woman, immediately after the post office, call ypour
homeowners / renters insurance company, and give them all the data on the
sweetheart who hit the box.

What purpose would that serve? They are not going to do
anything...they might raise my premium for being an increased risk. HO
insurance policies are being dropped left and right nowadays for south
Florida after years of hurrican damage. I am not sure I want another
"red flag"...

C. Get the nane of the woman along with her license plate number. Report
it to Florida's DMV as a hit and run property damage incodent and request
that Florida DMV confirm her name, residence address and insurance carrier.

I can do that.

D. Once you confirmed her name and address, go to small claims court in
your county and sue her.\

If I can get her address. I have her car model and license plate
number, I don't have the exact address. The apartment complex has many
units, and I can't follow her to her exact unit and I was hoping the
cop can trace that for me using the license plate but he did not do
that... I will try to call DMV and just give them license number and
car make/model, but I have a feeling DMV will not give me an address...

By the way, it was NOT a juvenile prank beating up a mail box. This
was an accident that the car hit the mail box. The mail box is a
locking heavy duty 710 janzer mail box:

http://designer-mailbox.com/locking.htm

and it was mounted on a 4" diameter galvanized steel post penetrated
24" into the ground with a concrete anchor block 24"x24" and 12" deep.
The entire post with concrete was knocked out and completely trashed.
Her car's right front bumper was badly damaged with broken head lights.

E. Ignore the fool cop who told you here was nothing you could do to get a
recovery for your loss. There's a lot the cop could do but declined to
do, but he's a doughnut chomping asshole. Like most cops.

F. STOP WHINING!

-- Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

snip

what will the PO do when there is not a mail box to deliver to? return the
mail? hold the mail or drop at door step?

MC

Expect the PO not to deliver. You can explain the situation to the
post office and they will hold your mail. You could setup a mailbox
on a crate or something like that, but be sure to position it per PO
regulations.

I've heard of a reckless driver who got injured and damaged his car
because he drove into a sturdy mailbox post. He sued and won. I was
thinking about putting large rocks around my mailbox, but decided
against that.
Posted to alt.home.repair
George

Phisherman wrote:
snip

what will the PO do when there is not a mail box to deliver to? return the
mail? hold the mail or drop at door step?

MC

Expect the PO not to deliver. You can explain the situation to the
post office and they will hold your mail. You could setup a mailbox
on a crate or something like that, but be sure to position it per PO
regulations.

I've heard of a reckless driver who got injured and damaged his car
because he drove into a sturdy mailbox post. He sued and won. I was
thinking about putting large rocks around my mailbox, but decided
against that.

Doesn't even need to be reckless. My friend lives in an area where kids
were driving around and holding a bat/pole etc out to knock down
mailboxes. My friend got sick and tired of finding his mailbox knocked
down so he built a substantial structure. The kid was injured while
trying to knock the mailbox down and the family sued my friend.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Daniel Dravot

"George" wrote in message
Phisherman wrote:
snip

[...]

With parents like that, it's clear why the kid would do something like that.
The father should have whaled the tar out of his little miscreant instead of
suing the mailbox owner...

Dan'l.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Evo

wrote:

**** anyone working for the City, State, or Federal Government is only
putting in their time to collect their pension or retirement. Most could
careless about your problems. Would you really expect anything more from a
Government worker?

RV

When you wake-up visit your local maximum security prison and see why
you can sleep at night!

Oren
excused from saving Universes."

Give me a break! Like I said sitting around on their fat asses biding their
time and waiting for retirement and collecting a healthy ridiculous
pension. Like they really care if I'm sleeping well at night. This does not
hold true for the men and women in the military, they truly are working
hard unlike a bunch of fat lazy corrupt prison guards on the state and
federal payroll.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23 Jan 2006 10:20:33 -0800, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

If I can get her address. I have her car model and license plate
number, I don't have the exact address. The apartment complex has many
units, and I can't follow her to her exact unit and I was hoping the
cop can trace that for me using the license plate but he did not do
that... I will try to call DMV and just give them license number and
car make/model, but I have a feeling DMV will not give me an address...

By the way, it was NOT a juvenile prank beating up a mail box. This
was an accident that the car hit the mail box. The mail box is a
locking heavy duty 710 janzer mail box:

Thats why you file a police report, then you will get her address.
Tell the police you intend to file charges in small claims court.
There must be some sort of dent in her car, and they can and should
inspect that.

I believe you are correct that the DMV wont give you the address, but
the police will, but only IF you file a report against her.

If this is a costly mailbox as you seem to claim, them take her to
small claims court. But it costs about $75 to file the claim these
days. Once you file the police report, there is a good chance she or
her insurance company will want to settle quickly and save you the
hassle of court. Even if you got a couple hundred $$$ here, it's not a
major expense and if she is guilty and the police see the dent in her
car matches your m.b. post, you pretty much won the case already. If
she loses in court, she will also have to pay the court costs which
may be half or more of the total damages.

Get to the police station and file the report NOW.