Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Carrier Corp.

On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 12:50:04 -0600, philo wrote:

Yes...I know NY did not even have garbage collection until 1905 or
thereabouts.

google nyc garbage collection history

I was surprised that there are so many, more than 10, urls about this
very thing. All of them look interesting. Many have pictures.
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/arti...deep-in-trash/
In 2002, Nagle was first granted access to the department’s archives,
and in 2003, she initiated the process of actually becoming a
sanitation worker. After working closely with the department for
years—riding routes, visiting garages, attending social events, and
interviewing employees—Nagle was named the department’s only
Anthropologist in Residence in 2006. “It’s the perfect title,” says
Nagle, “the perfect framing of my relationship with them. It lets me
propose weird things, and they just shake their heads and say, ‘It
must be because she’s an anthropologist.'”....
One of Nagle’s most disturbing revelations is that a career in
sanitation is more dangerous than working for the fire or police
department, despite a clear absence of public appreciation for our
garbage men and women.....
Nagle: It was created as the Department of Street Cleaning in
1881, and renamed the Department of Sanitation in 1929. But it was
actually made effective for the first time in 1895, in that the people
who worked for the department actually collected garbage and swept the
streets.

http://discardstudies.com/2013/10/13...n-photographs/
http://www.astc.org/exhibitions/rotten/timeline.htm not nyc
especially
http://cooperator.com/article/one-ma...is-still-trash
http://archive.onearth.org/article/d...trashy-history
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...new-york-city/
based on Nagle
http://www1.nyc.gov/assets/dsny/abou.../history.shtml
http://greenpointers.com/2014/03/27/...-with-garbage/
http://io9.gizmodo.com/heres-what-ne...tion-565446786
https://sanitationupdates.wordpress....new-york-city/
https://macaulay.cuny.edu/eportfolio...new-york-city/
1895 – George Waring became the Commissioner of the Department of
Street Cleaning (now Dept. of Sanitation) and put into action a waste
management plan that made ocean dumping illegal and mandated recycling
efforts. Prior to Waring, 75% of New York City’s waste was dumped into
the Atlantic Ocean. As part of Waring’s initiative, household waste
was separated into three distinct categories and dealt with
accordingly: (a) Food Waste was steamed and compressed to produce
grease and fertilizer; (b) Rubbish from which paper and other
materials were recovered; and (c) Ash, which was landfilled along with
nonmarketable rubbish. This becomes New York City’s first recycling
program. (NYCWasteless – History)
===Manhattan and to a lesser extent Brooklyn and maybe Queens are a
lot bigger than originally. As ships got bigger, the space between
and under the short docks was filled in and longer piers extending
into deeper water for the bigger ships were built. I think this
happened several times. Battery Park City is built entirely on
landfill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman posted for all of us...

On 02/15/2016 11:02 PM, Micky wrote:
Sure, but those are different people, mostly Republicans. I don't
know any Democrats who wouldn't vote for her, certainly no Democratic
elected official who has said he wouldn't, so it's not comparable.

I know several Democrats who detested Clinton in 2008 and thought she
was the symbol of corruption and warmongering in the Democratic Party. I
wonder if they have had conversion experiences in the last seven years.

Ask Harry Greed and Nancy Payolo

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony944" wrote in message ...
According to GOP debate last night Carrier Corp is moving to Mexico, Good luck guys.

Thank NAFTA. If you think NAFTA was just wait on TPP.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"philo" wrote in message
On 02/14/2016 02:34 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/14/2016 2:47 PM, Tony944 wrote:
According to GOP debate last night Carrier Corp is moving to Mexico,
Good luck guys.

It was in the newspaper. 2000 jobs will be lost in Indiana. Sad
situation for a lot of families.

The company I worked for pulled the same thing.

It was originally American owned but was bought out by the Japanese.
Everyone got nervous even though they made no changes.

Eventually, a group of the original owners bought it back and everyone
kind of breathed a sigh of relief as we became American again.

Then they did the patriotic thing and opened a new plant in Mexico and
closed one of the US plants.

A sad reflection on the American workers: the quality of the product
improved! This is not quite the fine country it used to be I'm afraid.

In my experiance the quality issue is not on of worker qualification but
more often on the quality of the plant equipment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 11:11:13 -0600, SeaNymph
wrote:

On 2/16/2016 9:40 AM, Micky wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 02:46:13 -0500, Micky
wrote:

On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 12:29:19 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

And when it's all said and done and one of them gets the nomination, the
others will have to suck it up and some how find the gonads to support
the party and it's candidate.

In most cases but I think some Republican elected official from
Georgia said a few weeks ago that if Trump is nominated, he will vote
Democratic.

I've seen similar things said about if Hillary gets the D nomination -
they'd vote for anyone BUT her.

--
Maggie

BTW, I haven't read every single post but I've read quite a few in the
last 24 hours, and afaict you've done little or more likely nothing to
get in return the hostility for believing in God. You haven't

Especially in light of the fact that you post a lot on subjects either
related to home repair or the jibber jabber that is also discussed
here. I didn't find the first post about God but I suspect it just
came up with thread drift and one or two people must have a problem
with the topic more than you if they couldn't just ignore what annoyed
them.

They should apologize for calling your views silly and something
worse. They weren't provoked and shouldn't have been insulting.

So, you didn't find a post about god

No. I didn't find the first post in the thread that mentioned God.

but you think people should
apologize? That's seems a little weird.

I only wanted back up for the claims she made.

Even if I wanted to I coudlnt' keep track of who said what. I often
forget who wrote a post in less than 3 minutes, especially when
reading a lot of them to get a general idea, as I did this time.

If you weren't insulting then what I said doesn't apply to you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I just think that making the sort of judgement and saying people should
apologize seems a little out of line without knowing how the
conversation went. As for provocation, there was quite a bit of that.