Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Default That nice MS corp - so caring about your data

"PeteS" wrote in message
Amusing, and yet another reason to avoid Vista like the plague
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Forge...ft-58752.shtml

The author is clearly not very technically savvy. He says:

"Microsoft will get your "Internet protocol address, the type of operating
system, browser and name and version of the software you are using, and the
language code of the device where you installed the software."

Wow! If only he realized every single web site he's ever visited gets that
same information, I bet he'd *really* be up in arms!

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 20:00:28 -0400, the renowned PeteS
wrote:

Found this in my aimless surfing.

Amusing, and yet another reason to avoid Vista like the plague

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Forge...ft-58752.shtml

Cheers

PeteS

It doesn't mention the indexing program (which goes through your
entire HDD). It attempts to contact Microsoft for who knows what
purpose.. And they've screwed around with Explorer search so you
practically need to use it.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Found this in my aimless surfing.

Amusing, and yet another reason to avoid Vista like the plague

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Forge...ft-58752.shtml

Cheers

PeteS

It doesn't mention the indexing program (which goes through your
entire HDD). It attempts to contact Microsoft for who knows what
purpose.. And they've screwed around with Explorer search so you
practically need to use it.

I have two applications that haven't been ported to Linux, so I still have
a Windows XP partition on one of my boxes. Before booting into it, I
disable the wifi tranceiver. Anthing I need to download for use in
Windows gets downloaded with Linux. It's bad enough that you can't buy a
new (non-Apple) personal computer without Vista, but I can't believe that
people are actually paying to install this bloated pile of spyware and DRM.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

[...]

System76. Nice people, their systems come loaded with Ubuntu, their
support staff (all one of him, as far as I can tell) are (is?)
responsive, and everything works.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 20:00:28 -0400, PeteS wrote:

Found this in my aimless surfing.

Yes... it was aimless.

Amusing, and yet another reason to avoid Vista like the plague

Idiot. I remember dopes like you after Windows 95 came out, yet '95
was the worst, most vulnerable Windows release made.

Think you'll come around by 2012?

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Found this in my aimless surfing.

Amusing, and yet another reason to avoid Vista like the plague

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Forge...ft-58752.shtml

Cheers

PeteS

It doesn't mention the indexing program (which goes through your
entire HDD). It attempts to contact Microsoft for who knows what
purpose.. And they've screwed around with Explorer search so you
practically need to use it.

All indexing functions are very easy to turn off, and mine didn't try to
contact Microsoft.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 20:00:28 -0400, PeteS wrote:

Found this

Set your PC's clock right.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

Stephen J. Rush wrote:

I have two applications that haven't been ported to Linux, so I still have
a Windows XP partition on one of my boxes. Before booting into it, I
disable the wifi tranceiver. Anthing I need to download for use in
Windows gets downloaded with Linux. It's bad enough that you can't buy a
new (non-Apple) personal computer without Vista,

Dell will sell you a PC with any flavor of linux you want on it.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Found this in my aimless surfing.

Amusing, and yet another reason to avoid Vista like the plague

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Forge...ft-58752.shtml

Cheers

PeteS

It doesn't mention the indexing program (which goes through your
entire HDD). It attempts to contact Microsoft for who knows what
purpose.. And they've screwed around with Explorer search so you
practically need to use it.

All indexing functions are very easy to turn off, and mine didn't try to
contact Microsoft.

How do you know it didn't? Their "firewall" does not stop any outgoing
communications, by default, and they make it very difficult to set up
otherwise. And since they crippled the search function in Explorer...

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 21:12:08 -0700, Brandon D Cartwright
wrote:

Hank you for posting this interesting and informative article,
Please ignore the mentally diseased k00k calling itself "spurious
response ".

You leave his Hank alone, kook.

It is a chronic net abuser.

His Hank isn't, but you are.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Found this in my aimless surfing.

Amusing, and yet another reason to avoid Vista like the plague

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Forge...ft-58752.shtml

Cheers

PeteS

It doesn't mention the indexing program (which goes through your
entire HDD). It attempts to contact Microsoft for who knows what
purpose.. And they've screwed around with Explorer search so you
practically need to use it.

All indexing functions are very easy to turn off, and mine didn't try to
contact Microsoft.

How do you know it didn't?

I am aware of these things.

Their "firewall" does not stop any outgoing
communications, by default,

I do not use "their firewall"... at all...

and they make it very difficult to set up
otherwise.

Bull****. Every decent router has a hardware firewall, that comes
AFTER windows, but BEFORE the cable modem, and Windows doesn't nor can it
do anything about downstream controls. In fact, it is my DHCP server in
some instances.

And since they crippled the search function in Explorer...

I do not use exploder. I use Mozilla and google, etc.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,alt.usenet.kooks

Default Prongboi kook still fouling electronics groups. That nice MS corp - so caring about your data

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 21:35:33 -0700, Samantha Pierce-Harder
wrote:

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 21:09:28 -0700, Brandon D Cartwright
wrote:

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 17:03:32 -0700, Spurious Response
wrote:

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 20:00:28 -0400, PeteS wrote:

Found this

Set your PC's clock right.

Still the trolling k00k eh prongboi?

Quit fouling interesting threads with your egomania.

Seek help ASAP.

You're left alone for five minutes and here you are abusing posters
and trying to disrupt on topic threads with your nonsense and chronic
net abuse.

interesting article on Microsoft spyware snipped by k00k restored.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Forget-about-the-WGA-20-Windows-Vista-Features-and-Services-Harvest-User-Data-for-Microsoft-58752.shtml

He is a weird one right enough

Pierce Harder, Samantha... HARDER!
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

[...]

A router firewall can't tell you which programs are doing what. That's
why most of us use both.

And since they crippled the search function in Explorer...

I do not use exploder. I use Mozilla and google, etc.

Explorer, not IE.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design,alt.usenet.kooks

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 00:01:15 -0700, Samantha Pierce-Harder
wrote:

Pierce Harder, Samantha... HARDER!

Pleading for a virtual leucotomy now?

Jeez. **** off... now.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design
SP SP is offline

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 06:10:57 -0500, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

some instances.

A router firewall can't tell you which programs are doing what. That's
why most of us use both.

PS This program uses http prototcol to 131.107.115.28.
(crl.microsoft.com) It isn't going to be blocked by a typical
hardware firewall, because the firewall doesn't know the difference
between that and a user surfing on Firefox to some random website.

And since they crippled the search function in Explorer...

I do not use exploder. I use Mozilla and google, etc.

Explorer, not IE.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

some instances.

A router firewall can't tell you which programs are doing what. That's
why most of us use both.

PS This program uses http prototcol to 131.107.115.28.
(crl.microsoft.com) It isn't going to be blocked by a typical
hardware firewall, because the firewall doesn't know the difference
between that and a user surfing on Firefox to some random website.

And since they crippled the search function in Explorer...

I do not use exploder. I use Mozilla and google, etc.

Explorer, not IE.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

And I suppose you can't kill that using the "hosts" file?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

PS This program uses http prototcol to 131.107.115.28.
(crl.microsoft.com) It isn't going to be blocked by a typical
hardware firewall, because the firewall doesn't know the difference
between that and a user surfing on Firefox to some random website.

Bull****. Firewalls can be programmed to block entire domains, in or
out, or both.

Not sure you have seen many "typical hardware firewalls". If you have
it must only be cursory glances.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

some instances.

A router firewall can't tell you which programs are doing what. That's
why most of us use both.

PS This program uses http prototcol to 131.107.115.28.
(crl.microsoft.com) It isn't going to be blocked by a typical
hardware firewall, because the firewall doesn't know the difference
between that and a user surfing on Firefox to some random website.

And since they crippled the search function in Explorer...

I do not use exploder. I use Mozilla and google, etc.

Explorer, not IE.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

And I suppose you can't kill that using the "hosts" file?

...Jim Thompson

Maybe it has Micros**t's IP address hard coded in it.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

some instances.

A router firewall can't tell you which programs are doing what. That's
why most of us use both.

PS This program uses http prototcol to 131.107.115.28.
(crl.microsoft.com) It isn't going to be blocked by a typical
hardware firewall, because the firewall doesn't know the difference
between that and a user surfing on Firefox to some random website.

And since they crippled the search function in Explorer...

I do not use exploder. I use Mozilla and google, etc.

Explorer, not IE.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

And I suppose you can't kill that using the "hosts" file?

Ha ha ha, you a funny guy Jim.

Think this, "hosts" file is like a local DNS server.

...Jim Thompson

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design
SP SP is offline

wrote:

PS This program uses http prototcol to 131.107.115.28.
(crl.microsoft.com) It isn't going to be blocked by a typical
hardware firewall, because the firewall doesn't know the difference
between that and a user surfing on Firefox to some random website.

Bull****. Firewalls can be programmed to block entire domains, in or
out, or both.

"Can be" but was *yours* programmed to block that particular domain or
IP address?

Not sure you have seen many "typical hardware firewalls". If you have
it must only be cursory glances.

It's in another room, so I seldom give it even a sideways glance. It's
administered over the network.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

PS This program uses http prototcol to 131.107.115.28.
(crl.microsoft.com) It isn't going to be blocked by a typical
hardware firewall, because the firewall doesn't know the difference
between that and a user surfing on Firefox to some random website.

Bull****. Firewalls can be programmed to block entire domains, in or
out, or both.

"Can be" but was *yours* programmed to block that particular domain or
IP address?

Has been, for years, on certain machines.

Not sure you have seen many "typical hardware firewalls". If you have
it must only be cursory glances.

It's in another room, so I seldom give it even a sideways glance. It's
administered over the network.

No ****. That took a lot of brains. You wouldn't be inside the case
flipping dip switches.