Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric Blanket Problem Solved

I bought an electric blanket, used it for 2 months and it stopped heating up. I swapped controllers with another of the same blanket and isolated the problem to the controller. I opened it up, didn't see anything obviously burned, etc., and was not able to troubleshoot it without a schematic.

It was after the 30 day return period and the store wouldn't take it back. Contacted the maker and could not get through by email or phone.

So I bought another blanket just like it, swapped out the controller and returned the new blanket for a full refund. Such is life in the new world of Chinese-made crap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 1:57:03 PM UTC-6, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I bought an electric blanket, used it for 2 months and it stopped heating up. I swapped controllers with another of the same blanket and isolated the problem to the controller. I opened it up, didn't see anything obviously burned, etc., and was not able to troubleshoot it without a schematic.

It was after the 30 day return period and the store wouldn't take it back.. Contacted the maker and could not get through by email or phone.

So I bought another blanket just like it, swapped out the controller and returned the new blanket for a full refund. Such is life in the new world of Chinese-made crap.

I know a guy who used to do that with consumer electronics. If he had one that quit working, he'd buy a new one then put the broken one in the new packaging after swapping the back cover that had the serial number then return it for a refund. The guy was always looking for a way to scam or cheat someone. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Honest Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 11:56:49 -0800, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
wrote:

I bought an electric blanket, used it for 2 months and it stopped heating up. I swapped controllers with another of the same blanket and isolated the problem to the controller. I opened it up, didn't see anything obviously burned, etc., and was not able to troubleshoot it without a schematic.

It was after the 30 day return period and the store wouldn't take it back. Contacted the maker and could not get through by email or phone.

So I bought another blanket just like it, swapped out the controller and returned the new blanket for a full refund. Such is life in the new world of Chinese-made crap.

So you put the bad controller in the package and took it back?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Sounds like he is a crook. Electric blanket is IMO, bad for health.
Exposing body to EM energy. It is known fact people living near the
HT transmission towers have higher rate of cancer. I know a fellow who
was a tech on high power radar system, for some reason he was infertile.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/23/2016 12:56 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I bought an electric blanket, used it for 2 months and it stopped heating
up. I swapped controllers with another of the same blanket and isolated the
problem to the controller. I opened it up, didn't see anything obviously
burned, etc., and was not able to troubleshoot it without a schematic.

It was after the 30 day return period and the store wouldn't take it back.
Contacted the maker and could not get through by email or phone.

So I bought another blanket just like it, swapped out the controller and
returned the new blanket for a full refund. Such is life in the new world
of Chinese-made crap.

Hmmm... and you want to lay a *sheet* of "Chinese-made crap" WIRES over
your body while you sleep???

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
On 1/23/2016 12:56 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I bought an electric blanket, used it for 2 months and it stopped heating
up. I swapped controllers with another of the same blanket and
isolated the
problem to the controller. I opened it up, didn't see anything obviously
burned, etc., and was not able to troubleshoot it without a schematic.

It was after the 30 day return period and the store wouldn't take it
back.
Contacted the maker and could not get through by email or phone.

So I bought another blanket just like it, swapped out the controller and
returned the new blanket for a full refund. Such is life in the new
world
of Chinese-made crap.

Hmmm... and you want to lay a *sheet* of "Chinese-made crap" WIRES over
your body while you sleep???

Lately it was reported cheap blue colored fashion jewellery made in
China contains much higher than safe level of Cadmium(maybe it makes
the hue of blue color). They are recalling it now. Maybe Chinese are
immune to any kind of Toxin. I watched a document about a place where
they recycle plastics from electronics junks. People sniff them burning
it little bit to sort them out. That place had way higher than average
cancer death. Little kids desolder everything off PCB inhaling the fume
coming off molten lead. They all look sick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Y" wrote in message ...
On 1/23/2016 12:56 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I bought an electric blanket, used it for 2 months and it stopped heating
up. I swapped controllers with another of the same blanket and isolated the
problem to the controller. I opened it up, didn't see anything obviously
burned, etc., and was not able to troubleshoot it without a schematic.

It was after the 30 day return period and the store wouldn't take it back.
Contacted the maker and could not get through by email or phone.

So I bought another blanket just like it, swapped out the controller and
returned the new blanket for a full refund. Such is life in the new world
of Chinese-made crap.

Hmmm... and you want to lay a *sheet* of "Chinese-made crap" WIRES over
your body while you sleep???

Nope. Warm up the sheets then unplug it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I agree it's not right to do this as a regular practice. What would you have done in this case where the mfg is not standing by its warranty?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"

Subject: Electric Blanket Problem Solved
From: "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair

I bought an electric blanket, used it for 2 months and it stopped
heating up. I swapped controllers with another of the same blanket
and isolated the problem to the controller. I opened it up, didn't see
anything obviously burned, etc., and was not able to troubleshoot it
without a schematic.

It was after the 30 day return period and the store wouldn't take it
back. Contacted the maker and could not get through by email or
phone.

So I bought another blanket just like it, swapped out the controller
and returned the new blanket for a full refund. Such is life in the
new world of Chinese-made crap.

Wow! You're a real scum bag. I'll even bet that when honest people here
start to critize you about it, you'll try to justify it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 13:39:52 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Electrib blankets are perfectly safe if used as a "pre-heater" to
warm the bed before you crawl in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I think that it's a fact is a myth.

It was never proven about heating blankets either, but they rearranged
the wiring so that adjacent wires negate each other.

I know a fellow who
was a tech on high power radar system, for some reason he was infertile.

Interesting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 13:54:28 -0800, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
wrote:

Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I see your point. If you told them it didnt' work, that might, or
might not, keep them from selling it to someone else, and
inconveniencing the new owner. OTOH, they might insist on giving you
a replacement.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

So you want to wiggle this around -- Wiggle Worm? Maybe the next
bucket of paint you buy will be full of water because somebody pulled
the same crap as you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

There's a world of difference between a low voltage, low current heater and a radar system. My dad worked in and around radio transmitter buildings for 40 years and never had any sign of radiation or EMF damage/illnesses. He fathered 3 younguns, including me and none have had any effects of the same. Same for grandchildren. Same for everyone I have known in the radio/TV business.

In fact, now that I think of it -- same is true for the half dozen people I know who have worked for years in and around nuclear power plants and were regularly exposed to low level radiation, some of them in their 80's now.

Going further... there is a couple of folks in my neighborhood who were in Hiroshima and exposed to great radiation. They don't talk about it, but both are in their 80's and still in good shape, outside of some arthritis.

I'm sure there are examples contrary to these also. I'm just saying ...... don't worry about electric blankets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I returned the blanket today and the cashier said "there sure have been a lot of these returned."

I checked the shelves and the lap blankets use a different controller, so I grabbed one of those. Hopefully it will work OK.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Any how, we can stay warm without electric blanket for sure.we use down
duvet, silk quilted blanket, Pure Pashimina wool quilt, etc. It often
gets too hot in bed. Nuke plant workers have spacial clothing and
washing protocol, I have been HAM over half a century, I am well too.
You are trying to say long term exposure to such things are A-OK? Are
you ignoring stats and experts' concerns?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 2:40:01 PM UTC-6, Tony Hwang wrote:
Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

He wasn't wearing his shielded panties or wire mesh jockstrap. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Nuked Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 3:54:40 PM UTC-6, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I would have gone to a mosque and told the Muslims there that the manufacturer was putting cartoons of Mohamed on the inside of the packaging. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Sneaky Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 4:15:05 PM UTC-6, Jack Meoff wrote:
"Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"

From: "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair

I bought an electric blanket, used it for 2 months and it stopped
heating up. I swapped controllers with another of the same blanket
and isolated the problem to the controller. I opened it up, didn't see
anything obviously burned, etc., and was not able to troubleshoot it
without a schematic.

It was after the 30 day return period and the store wouldn't take it
back. Contacted the maker and could not get through by email or
phone.

So I bought another blanket just like it, swapped out the controller
and returned the new blanket for a full refund. Such is life in the
new world of Chinese-made crap.

Wow! You're a real scum bag. I'll even bet that when honest people here
start to critize you about it, you'll try to justify it.

He DID first try to honestly deal with the manufacturer. What would Jesus Meoff do in the same situation? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Impatient Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I have an old electric blanket that I bought many years ago as surplus from a misc goods dealer and the plug was actually cut out of the blanket. I bought it to use as just a blanket and it has served me well. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Blanket Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/23/2016 3:39 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Uncle Monster wrote:

[snip]

Electric blanket is IMO, bad for health.
Exposing body to EM energy. It is known fact people living near the
HT transmission towers have higher rate of cancer. I know a fellow
who was a tech on high power radar system, for some reason he was
infertile.

EM is not all the same, and at best, the literature is not unanimous.
In fact, the majority of reputable physicists and organizations that
have studied this have NOT found a statistically significant correlation
between exposure to powerline (60 Hz) EM and cancer. As far as radar is
concerned, radar is in the gigahertz spectrum. The EM given off by an
electric blanket is 60 Hz. Radar usually uses frequencies that are in
the same frequency range that cause water molecules to vibrate,
producing heat (think microwave ovens). It's well known that the
ability of testicles to produce viable sperm is very affected by
temperature. You work near unshielded high power radar, you very well
may become infertile. However, citing one case in the scientific
literature is known as an anecdote - and is statistically worthless.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

McKinney wrote:
[...]

Well yes, but you are a thief who scams a store and the subsequent buyer
with you defective returns disguised as new purchase returns.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Uncle Monster" wrote in message
I have an old electric blanket that I bought many years ago as surplus from
a misc goods dealer and the plug was actually cut out of the blanket. I
bought it to use as just a blanket and it has served me well. ^_^

I slep under an electric blanket for many years while growing up. It went
bad and mother took the wires out of it and it was used as just a blanket
for over 20 years after that. Not sure what happened to it. It wasa a nice
thick one.

My parents had an elecrtric sheet. Much thiner than a blanket. About like
two sheets with the wires between them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/23/16 5:14 PM, Jack Meoff wrote:
"Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"

From: "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair

I bought an electric blanket, used it for 2 months and it stopped
heating up. I swapped controllers with another of the same blanket
and isolated the problem to the controller. I opened it up, didn't see
anything obviously burned, etc., and was not able to troubleshoot it
without a schematic.

It was after the 30 day return period and the store wouldn't take it
back. Contacted the maker and could not get through by email or
phone.

So I bought another blanket just like it, swapped out the controller
and returned the new blanket for a full refund. Such is life in the
new world of Chinese-made crap.

Wow! You're a real scum bag. I'll even bet that when honest people here
start to critize you about it, you'll try to justify it.

I don't think so.

It a mfr won't stand behind his product for the pretty standard one year
warranty period, swapping out for a new one like that and returning the
bad one is OK...provided you tell the return clerk it's DOA. That way it
goes back to the mfr and an unsuspecting customer doesn't get nailed
with it.

--
If 12 million+ illegal aliens from Mexico will help the US economy, why
didn’t they help the Mexican economy before they left?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 24, 2016 at 8:34:32 AM UTC-6, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Uncle Monster" wrote in message
I have an old electric blanket that I bought many years ago as surplus from
a misc goods dealer and the plug was actually cut out of the blanket. I
bought it to use as just a blanket and it has served me well. ^_^

I slep under an electric blanket for many years while growing up. It went
bad and mother took the wires out of it and it was used as just a blanket
for over 20 years after that. Not sure what happened to it. It wasa a nice
thick one.

My parents had an elecrtric sheet. Much thiner than a blanket. About like
two sheets with the wires between them.

A cast iron bed with a fire under it could work. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Iron Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Or perhaps he had mumps as a kid? Or any of a myriad other causes of
reduced fertility (or infertility).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 24 Jan 2016 13:58:23 GMT, Jack Meoff wrote:

McKinney wrote:
[...]

Not disguised as new purchace return. Returned as defective,
disguised as "in warranty" instead of "out of warranty"

Not honest, but the store doesn't loose, and there is no next customer
involved unless the store cheats and puts the "dud" back on the shelf.

It goes back to the manufacturer/importer of the junk, same as if it
had failed a month or 2 earlier while still under warranty..

Like I said - not honest - not right - but understandable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 19:38:54 -0800, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
wrote:

I returned the blanket today and the cashier said "there sure have been a lot of these returned."

Wow. There must have been an awful lot for her to notice and comment.

I checked the shelves and the lap blankets use a different controller, so I grabbed one of those. Hopefully it will work OK.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Just giving my experience.

Posted to alt.home.repair

McKinney wrote:
[...]

The return was within warranty. The mfr would not answer or return calls. Product was returned to the store who had acted as the mfr's agent when it sold the product and is now acting as its agent when it was returned.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I remember growing up it was drilled into our heads not to sit close to a TV screen. Then, when computers came out, it was just fine to stare at CRT from 2-ft away.

Still, nothing wrong with bringing up points that need to be considered about blankets, hi voltage, or whatever with regards to safety. I have often wondered about what effects microprocessors over 1 GHz might have on people. My PC sits on my desk with the case off and the CPU about 2 ft from my head.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I returned the blanket today and the cashier said "there sure have been a lot of these returned."

Wow. There must have been an awful lot for her to notice and comment.

You know what? I think I posted that I had told the clerk it was faulty and she still put it back on the shelf. They are probably selling the same bad products over and over again until someone (like me) keeps it past 30 days and suffers the loss.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Maladjusted HV on CRT can emit X-ray, that is why.
Posted to alt.home.repair

McKinney wrote:
[...]

In many cases the store handles the warranty fo the first 30, 60, 0r
90 days and the company handles it from then on.

If the company doesn't step up to the plate, the store needs to.
Returning as defective to the store is the RIGHT way to do it
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

On the computer screens they were using a heavy leaded glass screen -
but the back of the tube and the yoke were not shielded - making it
more dangerous to be behind the screen than in front.

As far as the processor speed - all that RF is contained within the
case (if the case is on) if the case has passed DOC or FCC inspection.
The case is a "faraday cage".

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I returned the blanket today and the cashier said "there sure have been a lot of these returned."

Wow. There must have been an awful lot for her to notice and comment.

You know what? I think I posted that I had told the clerk it was faulty and she still put it back on the shelf. They are probably selling the same bad products over and over again until someone (like me) keeps it past 30 days and suffers the loss.

If they are putting faulty materials back on the shelf they need to
be reported to your state's consumer protection division, attorny
general, or whoever enforces consumer protection laws in your area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Maladjusted HV on CRT can emit X-ray, that is why.

It was not really the CRT, but one of the tubes in the high voltage supply.
Don't recall if it was the rectifier or the damper tube.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2016 5:38 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

The return was within warranty. The mfr would not answer or return calls. Product was returned to the store who had acted as the mfr's agent when it sold the product and is now acting as its agent when it was returned.

I'd do that. Sounds like very poor service from the mfg.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 18:42:05 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Maladjusted HV on CRT can emit X-ray, that is why.

It was not really the CRT, but one of the tubes in the high voltage supply.
Don't recall if it was the rectifier or the damper tube.

Both the rectifier and the CRT - no problem on B&W sets but colour
CRTs run a high enough voltage that they are on the edge. Just a bit
of overvoltage, like trying to boost brihtness, can put them into
x-ray territory - out the BACK of the tube.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney" wrote:

I remember growing up it was drilled into our heads not to sit close to =
a TV screen. Then, when computers came out, it was just fine to stare =
at CRT from 2-ft away.

Early TV screens used very high powered electron guns in the CRT tube with
limited shielding around the front. Sitting close to one of those sets was a
great way to get an elevated dose of x-ray radiation.

Later sets and by the time computer mintors became common, the electron gun was
less powerful and higher amounts of leaded glass were used, resulting in reduced
exposure.