Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric Blanket Problem Solved

On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 10:02:23 PM UTC-6, Tony Hwang wrote:
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
"Micky" wrote in message ...
On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 13:39:52 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 1:57:03 PM UTC-6, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I bought an electric blanket, used it for 2 months and it stopped heating up. I swapped controllers with another of the same blanket and isolated the problem to the controller. I opened it up, didn't see anything obviously burned, etc., and was not able to troubleshoot it without a schematic.

It was after the 30 day return period and the store wouldn't take it back. Contacted the maker and could not get through by email or phone.

So I bought another blanket just like it, swapped out the controller and returned the new blanket for a full refund. Such is life in the new world of Chinese-made crap.

I know a guy who used to do that with consumer electronics. If he had one that quit working, he'd buy a new one then put the broken one in the new packaging after swapping the back cover that had the serial number then return it for a refund. The guy was always looking for a way to scam or cheat someone. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Honest Monster

Sounds like he is a crook. Electric blanket is IMO, bad for health.
Exposing body to EM energy. It is known fact people living near the
HT transmission towers have higher rate of cancer.

I think that it's a fact is a myth.

It was never proven about heating blankets either, but they rearranged
the wiring so that adjacent wires negate each other.

I know a fellow who
was a tech on high power radar system, for some reason he was infertile.

Interesting.

There's a world of difference between a low voltage, low current heater and a radar system. My dad worked in and around radio transmitter buildings for 40 years and never had any sign of radiation or EMF damage/illnesses.. He fathered 3 younguns, including me and none have had any effects of the same. Same for grandchildren. Same for everyone I have known in the radio/TV business.

In fact, now that I think of it -- same is true for the half dozen people I know who have worked for years in and around nuclear power plants and were regularly exposed to low level radiation, some of them in their 80's now.

Going further... there is a couple of folks in my neighborhood who were in Hiroshima and exposed to great radiation. They don't talk about it, but both are in their 80's and still in good shape, outside of some arthritis..

I'm sure there are examples contrary to these also. I'm just saying ...... don't worry about electric blankets.

Any how, we can stay warm without electric blanket for sure.we use down
duvet, silk quilted blanket, Pure Pashimina wool quilt, etc. It often
gets too hot in bed. Nuke plant workers have spacial clothing and
washing protocol, I have been HAM over half a century, I am well too.
You are trying to say long term exposure to such things are A-OK? Are
you ignoring stats and experts' concerns?

I have an old electric blanket that I bought many years ago as surplus from a misc goods dealer and the plug was actually cut out of the blanket. I bought it to use as just a blanket and it has served me well. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Blanket Monster