Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default RCD for electric blanket

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 15:58:21 +0000, Graham. wrote:

On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 13:38:52 GMT, lid (AnthonyL)
wrote:

The wife's underblanket is designed to be used all night if required.
It must be now 15yrs old. I regularly visually check it and there is
no fraying or sign of deterioration but I'm wondering if it would be
wise in any even to plug in via an RCD adapter.

Thoughts?

You don't say if the circuit it's plugged into is already RCD
protected.
If it is, you won't really gain anything and there probebly wont even
be any discrimination, ie the CU RCD will trip as well.

Well I'm not sure if I've got an RCD. I've taken photos of a breaker
that sits between the meter (wires into top) and the main fuse box
(wires out the bottom). Had to mess around with a mirror to get the
circuit diagram but I can't see any description, make etc.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/790182...7650400040769/

Is there a reasonably safe way to check if it is an RCD (short live to
earth on a 3 pin?)

What you have is an obsolete voltage operated trip. (Predecessor to RCD)
It trips if 40V or more appears on the earth, or should do.

They were done away with because they can interact with a nieghbours similar
device. causing various problems

You really need to get rid of it and fit and RCD near the meter.
Forget about one for your blanket alone, there is no advantage.
Electrocution from blankets is virtually unheard of.

The danger from blankets is overheating and subsequent fire.
Even this is unusual nowadays.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:
The wife's underblanket is designed to be used all night if required.
It must be now 15yrs old. I regularly visually check it and there is
no fraying or sign of deterioration but I'm wondering if it would be
wise in any even to plug in via an RCD adapter.

Thoughts?

Just keep paying the life insurance?!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , AnthonyL
writes
The wife's underblanket is designed to be used all night if required.
It must be now 15yrs old. I regularly visually check it and there is
no fraying or sign of deterioration but I'm wondering if it would be
wise in any even to plug in via an RCD adapter.

Can't do any harm but be aware that the adaptor type products are IME
more prone to false trips when left on for extended periods
(weeks/months) than ones designed for consumer unit use so a trip may
not necessarily indicate a fault in the blanket.

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/15 13:38, AnthonyL wrote:
The wife's underblanket is designed to be used all night if required.
It must be now 15yrs old. I regularly visually check it and there is
no fraying or sign of deterioration but I'm wondering if it would be
wise in any even to plug in via an RCD adapter.

Thoughts?

Why not?

However teh RCD is unlikely to help if the thing wants to catch fire
(assuming it is a Class II appliance)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John i.e. I myself wrote:

If it's 15 years old I'd change it anyway: I have just done exactly that
myself, being a big, B-I-I-G fan of electric blankets (as I've said in
another thread recently, my wife gets way too hot, so I just have a
single, on my side of the bed).

I got this one:
http://www.johnlewis.com/dreamland-6...electric-under
blanket/p231270114

BLOODY HELL!! I've just noticed that that item is FIFTEEN POUNDS less
than I paid, in the store, one month ago!!!! Maybe they've reduced
them because we're coming out of winter?

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 17:29:41 +0000, Another John
wrote:

In article ,
lid (AnthonyL) wrote:

The wife's underblanket is designed to be used all night if required.
It must be now 15yrs old. I regularly visually check it and there is
no fraying or sign of deterioration but I'm wondering if it would be
wise in any even to plug in via an RCD adapter.

Thoughts?

If it's 15 years old I'd change it anyway: I have just done exactly that
myself, being a big, B-I-I-G fan of electric blankets (as I've said in
another thread recently, my wife gets way too hot, so I just have a
single, on my side of the bed).

I'm the opposite - my wife is always cold (well not for about a dozen
days in the summer).

I got this one:
http://www.johnlewis.com/dreamland-6...electric-under
blanket/p231270114

I'm extremely pleased with it -- it's far in advance of my old one,
though I doubt if it will last as long as that (about 15 years in my
case, too). Greatest thing for me is: heats up to red hot in 5 mins.

Looks promising - thanks for the heads up.

--
AnthonyL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , AnthonyL
writes

wrote:

[...]

That looks like an old voltage operated ELCB (earth leakage circuit
breaker), we used to have one like it. Used in our house anyway to give
whole house protection in the event of a voltage flowing to earth (TT
earthing)

Not that ours ever tripped. even when by B-I-L got a shock due to a
live/earth fault.

AIUI Doesn't really give the protection of an RCD to individual devices
or circuits

(ours since replaced with a time delayed RCD

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

That's an ELCB, which won't offer any shock protection. I'd always use an
RCD with an electric blanket. They kill more people than all other
domestic appliances combined

How many do they in fact kill and how
many of those have stuff like pacemakers ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 20:38:09 +0000, Chris French
wrote:

In message , AnthonyL
writes

wrote:

[...]

Oh - I thought that if the blanket shorted through a person that
should trigger it

AIUI Doesn't really give the protection of an RCD to individual devices
or circuits

(ours since replaced with a time delayed RCD

I presume it isn't a big job to replace it? But why a "time delayed"?

I'll buy an individual RCD anyway just to be safe, and probably a new
blanket.

--
AnthonyL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 9:08:13 PM UTC, AnthonyL wrote:
On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 20:38:09 +0000, Chris French
wrote:

In message , AnthonyL
writes

wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/790182...7650400040769/

Is there a reasonably safe way to check if it is an RCD (short live to
earth on a 3 pin?)

That looks like an old voltage operated ELCB (earth leakage circuit
breaker), we used to have one like it. Used in our house anyway to give
whole house protection in the event of a voltage flowing to earth (TT
earthing)

Not that ours ever tripped. even when by B-I-L got a shock due to a
live/earth fault.

Oh - I thought that if the blanket shorted through a person that
should trigger it

You can fry in hell & an ELCB won't give a damn. RCDs care 50% of the time, when its a L-N fryup they don't either.

AIUI Doesn't really give the protection of an RCD to individual devices
or circuits

(ours since replaced with a time delayed RCD

I presume it isn't a big job to replace it? But why a "time delayed"?

No. So as you add RCDs further downline, those trip instead of the whole house going off.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 13:49:14 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 9:08:13 PM UTC, AnthonyL wrote:
On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 20:38:09 +0000, Chris French
wrote:

In message , AnthonyL
writes

wrote:

[...]

I bought an RCD, put an open plug on it and shorted live to earth.
Nice big bang, both RCD and ELCB (or whatever it is) tripped and
everything in the house went dark.

So am I right to think that I'm getting all the protection I need from
the ELCB?

Somewhat confused!

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, February 19, 2015 at 11:49:24 AM UTC, AnthonyL wrote:
On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 13:49:14 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 9:08:13 PM UTC, AnthonyL wrote:
On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 20:38:09 +0000, Chris French
wrote:

In message , AnthonyL
writes

wrote:

[...]

No. You created a huge fault current, probably over 1000A. Try creating a 30mA current - the RCD should trip, but a delayed RCD or ELCB won't.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 9:08:13 PM UTC, AnthonyL wrote:
On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 20:38:09 +0000, Chris French
wrote:

In message , AnthonyL
writes

wrote:

[...]

Thinking about it further I don't think the RCD triggered, it merely
reset on having the power cut?

Still confused.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 9:08:13 PM UTC, AnthonyL wrote:
On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 20:38:09 +0000, Chris French
wrote:

In message , AnthonyL
writes

wrote:

[...]

So ~ V = I R ( yes I know it's AC but approximate is near enough?)

Around 8kohm mains rated resistor?

Any usual household goods deliver that? Or trust it to stick my
fingers across .

..
..
..
..
..
only joking

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 9:08:13 PM UTC, AnthonyL wrote:
On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 20:38:09 +0000, Chris French
wrote:

In message , AnthonyL
writes

wrote:

[...]

Although it's a bit high (10W v 7.2W), I 'mis-wired' a 10W soldering iron as
a test. Worked OK.

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 9:08:13 PM UTC, AnthonyL wrote:
On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 20:38:09 +0000, Chris French
wrote:

In message , AnthonyL
writes

wrote:

[...]

Good idea - I presume it didn't damage the soldering iron?

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 16:19:07 GMT, AnthonyL wrote:

I bought an RCD, put an open plug on it and shorted live to earth.
Nice big bang, both RCD and ELCB (or whatever it is) tripped and
everything in the house went dark.

So am I right to think that I'm getting all the protection I need from
the ELCB?

Somewhat confused!

No. You created a huge fault current, probably over 1000A. Try creating a 30mA current - the RCD should trip, but a delayed RCD or ELCB won't.

So ~ V = I R ( yes I know it's AC but approximate is near enough?)

Around 8kohm mains rated resistor?

Any usual household goods deliver that? Or trust it to stick my
fingers across .

6.8k 8.4w so any 10-15w load with reasonably stable R.

Although it's a bit high (10W v 7.2W), I 'mis-wired' a 10W soldering iron as
a test. Worked OK.

Good idea - I presume it didn't damage the soldering iron?

240v on a 240v iron... not a problem.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 13:49:14 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 9:08:13 PM UTC, AnthonyL wrote:
On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 20:38:09 +0000, Chris French
wrote:

In message , AnthonyL
writes

wrote:

[...]

Nice move. Want a job?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 9:08:13 PM UTC, AnthonyL wrote:
On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 20:38:09 +0000, Chris French
wrote:

In message , AnthonyL
writes

wrote:

[...]

Doesn’t need to be mains rated for a quick test like that, any 8K resistor
will be fine.

Any usual household goods deliver that? Or trust it to stick my
fingers across .

.
.
.
.
.
only joking

--
AnthonyL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 19:56:38 -0000, "ARW"
wrote:

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 13:49:14 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Saturday, February 14, 2015 at 9:08:13 PM UTC, AnthonyL wrote:
On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 20:38:09 +0000, Chris French
wrote:

In message , AnthonyL
writes

wrote:

[...]

I'm working hard at trying to be retired thanks. But I still get
flashbacks to when I was a kid and I tried to fix a loose joint on an
old in-line mains connector to the wireless. Didn't pay attention to
male/female rules (I think I was still underage for that sort of
thing) and ended up with the male on the live plug end which was
powered when I tried to pick it up. Somehow I survived (never told my
parents) and an RCD (not yet invented) probably would have save me
some pain. My arm hurt for a few days.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 17:20:10 GMT, AnthonyL wrote:

So ~ V = I R ( yes I know it's AC but approximate is near enough?)

Around 8kohm mains rated resistor?

Any usual household goods deliver that? Or trust it to stick my
fingers across .

Although it's a bit high (10W v 7.2W), I 'mis-wired' a 10W soldering iron as
a test. Worked OK.

Good idea - I presume it didn't damage the soldering iron?

It is still working - probably handles the dissipation quite well ;-)
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away