Posted to uk.d-i-y
harryagain[_2_] harryagain[_2_] is offline

Default RCD for electric blanket

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 15:58:21 +0000, Graham. wrote:

On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 13:38:52 GMT, lid (AnthonyL)
wrote:

The wife's underblanket is designed to be used all night if required.
It must be now 15yrs old. I regularly visually check it and there is
no fraying or sign of deterioration but I'm wondering if it would be
wise in any even to plug in via an RCD adapter.

Thoughts?

You don't say if the circuit it's plugged into is already RCD
protected.
If it is, you won't really gain anything and there probebly wont even
be any discrimination, ie the CU RCD will trip as well.

Well I'm not sure if I've got an RCD. I've taken photos of a breaker
that sits between the meter (wires into top) and the main fuse box
(wires out the bottom). Had to mess around with a mirror to get the
circuit diagram but I can't see any description, make etc.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/790182...7650400040769/

Is there a reasonably safe way to check if it is an RCD (short live to
earth on a 3 pin?)

What you have is an obsolete voltage operated trip. (Predecessor to RCD)
It trips if 40V or more appears on the earth, or should do.

They were done away with because they can interact with a nieghbours similar
device. causing various problems

You really need to get rid of it and fit and RCD near the meter.
Forget about one for your blanket alone, there is no advantage.
Electrocution from blankets is virtually unheard of.

The danger from blankets is overheating and subsequent fire.
Even this is unusual nowadays.