Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default RCD for electric blanket

In article ,
lid (AnthonyL) writes:
Oh - I thought that if the blanket shorted through a person that
should trigger it

No, it protects against a fire if your earth connection is not
good enough to make a fuse blow. It is not intended to protect
against electrocution.

AIUI Doesn't really give the protection of an RCD to individual devices
or circuits

(ours since replaced with a time delayed RCD

I presume it isn't a big job to replace it? But why a "time delayed"?

If it's not nuisance tripping and still works when you press
the test button, I would leave it there, as simply replacing
it with an RCD no longer meets current regs either.

To meet current regs, you would need to replace the CU with
a 17th Edition CU, or replace MCBs with RCBOs in a CU which
doesn't have RCDs. (Then the ELCB could be removed.)

I'll buy an individual RCD anyway just to be safe, and probably a new
blanket.

Yes.

--
Andrew Gabriel