Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric Blanket Problem Solved

"Ralph Mowery" wrote:

It was not really the CRT, but one of the tubes in the high voltage supply.
Don't recall if it was the rectifier or the damper tube.

No, the electron gun in the neck to the CRT firing electrons at the phospor
coating inside the glass generates xrays.

The high voltage supply was dangerous when you opened the back of the set
because of the capacitor holding the charge. Idiots who started poking around
with a screwdriver or their fingers helped improve the gene pool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 18:59:43 -0700, Arthur Conan Doyle
wrote:

"Ralph Mowery" wrote:

It was not really the CRT, but one of the tubes in the high voltage supply.
Don't recall if it was the rectifier or the damper tube.

No, the electron gun in the neck to the CRT firing electrons at the phospor
coating inside the glass generates xrays.

The high voltage supply was dangerous when you opened the back of the set
because of the capacitor holding the charge. Idiots who started poking around
with a screwdriver or their fingers helped improve the gene pool.

It was the gun firing at the screen that caused the xrays -- but the
reduced sheilding (thinner glass- less lead) allowed the x-rays to
exit from the back of the monitor. The low emission monitors used
either a metal cage over the back of the monitor or a special RF
sheilding type spray on the inside of the plastic
I can't remember the euro spec that first came out for low radiation
colour monitors back in the earl eighties - but I do remeber the new
monitors that met that spec had the metal cage over the back of the
monitor to contain the X-Ray emissions -Some later monitors had a
rough sprayed finish on the inside of the plastic case that achieved
the same results.
I had a lot of those monitor apart to install touch-screen adapters
to them (capacitive and resistive glaesses mounted on the front of the
tube) and there were specific instructions to maintain the low
emission spec

The voltage of B&W monitors and TVs(roughly 10Kv) was not enough to
form X-Rays. Color monitors were higher voltage (40-60Kv) which did
produce some X-ray radiation. Turning up the brightness on some of the
earlier units could overdrive the voltage into the high-output x-ray
range (over 80kv). The low radiation monitors had a brightness limiter
that kept the voltage down
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Maladjusted HV on CRT can emit X-ray, that is why.

It was not really the CRT, but one of the tubes in the high voltage supply.
Don't recall if it was the rectifier or the damper tube.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message ...
On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 18:42:05 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Maladjusted HV on CRT can emit X-ray, that is why.

It was not really the CRT, but one of the tubes in the high voltage supply.
Don't recall if it was the rectifier or the damper tube.

Both the rectifier and the CRT - no problem on B&W sets but colour
CRTs run a high enough voltage that they are on the edge. Just a bit
of overvoltage, like trying to boost brihtness, can put them into
x-ray territory - out the BACK of the tube.

Then we were OK at home - Dad wouldn't buy a color set until they were perfected, which was long after I left home.

Any idea if this X-ray possibility was still a problem when computer began showing up in homes? This would have been in the early 80's.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message news
On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 15:10:13 -0800, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
wrote:

"Micky" wrote in message ...
On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 19:38:54 -0800, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
wrote:

I returned the blanket today and the cashier said "there sure have been a lot of these returned."

Wow. There must have been an awful lot for her to notice and comment.

You know what? I think I posted that I had told the clerk it was faulty and she still put it back on the shelf. They are probably selling the same bad products over and over again until someone (like me) keeps it past 30 days and suffers the loss.

If they are putting faulty materials back on the shelf they need to
be reported to your state's consumer protection division, attorny
general, or whoever enforces consumer protection laws in your area.

Good idea. I'll stop by this week and if that blanket is on the shelf, I'll make a call. In this case the blanket had been a gift and the recipient did not tell me about it until I asked how it was working out on the cold nights. While I'm in the store I might just visit the rest room and pee on the floor. LOL! (Just kidding!!!!)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Maladjusted HV on CRT can emit X-ray, that is why.

It was not really the CRT, but one of the tubes in the high voltage supply.
Don't recall if it was the rectifier or the damper tube.

Both the rectifier and the CRT - no problem on B&W sets but colour
CRTs run a high enough voltage that they are on the edge. Just a bit
of overvoltage, like trying to boost brihtness, can put them into
x-ray territory - out the BACK of the tube.

Then we were OK at home - Dad wouldn't buy a color set until they were perfected, which was long after I left home.

Any idea if this X-ray possibility was still a problem when computer began showing up in homes? This would have been in the early 80's.

Yes, there was the possibility of XRAY emissions from colour monitors
and ega monitors. By the time VGA came around, the problem was pretty
well licked. Again - sitting in front of the monitors was not
dangerouse. You are usually about 2 feet from the screen. Sitting in a
cubicle or office where the monitor was right behind your head was
worse, both because the emissions from the rear were higher, and
because you were (often) closer. Radiation deteriorated by the square
of didtance. 2 feet away you get 1/4 the dose
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I"m going to have to get in the habit of making an unobtrustive pencil
mark on things I return for being defective. Then I can tell for sure
what things I returned that they are reselling.

I once marked an auto part with a scratch so I'd know for sure if it
was replaced, if they said they replaced it. But they didnt' say that
and didn't charge me for that, so that worked out fine.

This past fall, I bought a motorcycle battery at Wal-Mart and returned
it the next day only because it didn't fit the space. I was clear as
could be that there was nothing wrong with the battery, which was
still in a sealed plastic bag, but she told me they had to label it
and send it some place other than the shelf for resale. I don't
think this was to avoid selling defective returns so much as to
prevent fraud in returns, conspiring between a "customer" and a
"return clerk", but I'm not sure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

[...]

That's good to know. Looking back, I never saw a computer in the general office areas until 1983 when some of the secretaries at work got them. But they were all in enclosed offices, so that's good. Of the word processors at that time, they like banging the Wang the best (no offense).....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Sounds like the most practical company policy. It protects everyone and gives a good image to customers. Frys Electronics does that here -- unless something is factory sealed, it goes back for testing, and then if it is resold, it is marked "refurbished" and typically marked down a few dollars.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Usually sold as "open box" around here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 24, 2016 at 5:39:06 PM UTC-5, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
wrote in message ...
On 24 Jan 2016 13:58:23 GMT, Jack Meoff wrote:

"Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
wrote in :

"Micky" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 13:39:52 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 1:57:03 PM UTC-6, Snuffy "Hub
Cap"
McKinney wrote:
I bought an electric blanket, used it for 2 months and it stopped
heating up. I swapped controllers with another of the same blanket
and isolated the problem to the controller. I opened it up, didn't see
anything obviously burned, etc., and was not able to troubleshoot it
without a schematic.

It was after the 30 day return period and the store wouldn't take
it back. Contacted the maker and could not get through by email or
phone.

So I bought another blanket just like it, swapped out the
controller and returned the new blanket for a full refund. Such is
life in the new world of Chinese-made crap.

I know a guy who used to do that with consumer electronics. If he
had one that quit working, he'd buy a new one then put the broken one
in the new packaging after swapping the back cover that had the serial
number then return it for a refund. The guy was always looking for a
way to scam or cheat someone. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Honest Monster

Sounds like he is a crook. Electric blanket is IMO, bad for health.
Exposing body to EM energy. It is known fact people living near the
HT transmission towers have higher rate of cancer.

I think that it's a fact is a myth.

It was never proven about heating blankets either, but they
rearranged the wiring so that adjacent wires negate each other.

I know a fellow who
was a tech on high power radar system, for some reason he was
infertile.

Interesting.

There's a world of difference between a low voltage, low current
heater and a radar system. My dad worked in and around radio
transmitter buildings for 40 years and never had any sign of radiation
or EMF damage/illnesses. He fathered 3 younguns, including me and
none have had any effects of the same. Same for grandchildren. Same
for everyone I have known in the radio/TV business.

Well yes, but you are a thief who scams a store and the subsequent buyer
with you defective returns disguised as new purchase returns.

Not disguised as new purchace return. Returned as defective,
disguised as "in warranty" instead of "out of warranty"

Not honest, but the store doesn't loose, and there is no next customer
involved unless the store cheats and puts the "dud" back on the shelf.

It goes back to the manufacturer/importer of the junk, same as if it
had failed a month or 2 earlier while still under warranty..

Like I said - not honest - not right - but understandable.

The return was within warranty. The mfr would not answer or return calls. Product was returned to the store who had acted as the mfr's agent when it sold the product and is now acting as its agent when it was returned.

So you tried to call and talk to somebody in Peking?