Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Concrete damage-Why?

In the backyard of a friends house, the concrete is disintegrating a little, on the top. It's in Reno, there has been some snow and below freezing weather in the past month. They've only lived there 2 years, the concrete was fine last year. They don't shovel the snow off this, but I don't think that's needed.

Any idea why the surface of concrete would get damaged?
And what a person could do about it? So it doesn't get worse?

Here are 2 pictures:
http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/y...t/IMG_1109.jpg
http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/y...t/IMG_1108.jpg

Thank you,
Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Jan 2016 15:18:38 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

In the backyard of a friends house, the concrete is disintegrating a little, on the top. It's in Reno, there has been some snow and below freezing weather in the past month. They've only lived there 2 years, the concrete was fine last year. They don't shovel the snow off this, but I don't think that's needed.

Any idea why the surface of concrete would get damaged?
And what a person could do about it? So it doesn't get worse?

Here are 2 pictures:
http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/y...t/IMG_1109.jpg
http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/y...t/IMG_1108.jpg

Thank you,
Bill

It looks like spalding, cause by salt/calcium minerals that weep from
below. Much of Nevada was once a salt water ocean.

Is there an irrigation line under the drive that leaks? Any surface
water will aggravate the problem. The photos are worse then mine.
Think efflorescence in concrete from the bottom to the top of the
drive. Another problem is the drive was poured in cold weather and
didn't cure correctly due to the crew being in a hurry?

I guess the block walls have similar efflorescence after rains...in
Reno.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Jan 2016 15:52:41 -0800, Oren wrote:

Another problem is the drive was poured in cold weather and
didn't cure correctly due to the crew being in a hurry?

That can happen in real hot weather too. Spalling is a separation of
the top layer from the base material and it is a curing problem most
of the time. You need to cover the concrete and keep it wet for up to
a week if you want to avoid this.
If the surface "dries" before it "cures" there will be a layer that is
just waiting for some small trauma to spall it off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In the backyard of a friends house, the concrete is disintegrating a little, on the top. It's in Reno, there has been some snow and below freezing weather in the past month. They've only lived there 2 years, the concrete was fine last year. They don't shovel the snow off this, but I don't think that's needed.

Any idea why the surface of concrete would get damaged?
And what a person could do about it? So it doesn't get worse?

Here are 2 pictures:
http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/y...t/IMG_1109.jpg
http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/y...t/IMG_1108.jpg

Thank you,
Bill

It looks like spalding, cause by salt/calcium minerals that weep from
below. Much of Nevada was once a salt water ocean.

snip

Typo alert - the spelling should be spalling, not spalding.

Lots of info online about cause (varies) & repair if you search for
"spalled concrete".

Susan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Jan 2016 19:20:05 -0500, Susan Bugher
wrote:

Typo alert - the spelling should be spalling, not spalding.

Lots of info online about cause (varies) & repair if you search for
"spalled concrete".

Susan

Thanks Internet school teacher. I saw my spelling error after I
posted. Maybe you could give the OP some advice about concrete
"spalling" in Reno; instead of pickin' nits?

Or move over to the alt.home.repair.spell.check group.

Lots of info online on how to get there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Typo alert - the spelling should be spalling, not spalding.

Lots of info online about cause (varies) & repair if you search for
"spalled concrete".

Susan

Thanks Internet school teacher. I saw my spelling error after I
posted. Maybe you could give the OP some advice about concrete
"spalling" in Reno; instead of pickin' nits?

Or move over to the alt.home.repair.spell.check group.

Lots of info online on how to get there.

It's nice that Susan took the time to correct your glaring error.

Thanks Susan!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Susan Bugher" wrote in message
stuff snipped

Typo alert - the spelling should be spalling, not spalding.

Good catch. Spaldings were the pink rubber balls we played stickball with
in my youth and for some reason they were called "spaldines."

Spalling is also the "appalling" thing that happens inside a tank's crew
compartment when an armor piercing round hits and the broken of chunks of
armor and metal ricochet around, often killing or maiming crew tankers.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Jan 2016 20:16:20 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"Susan Bugher" wrote in message
stuff snipped

Typo alert - the spelling should be spalling, not spalding.

Good catch. Spaldings were the pink rubber balls we played stickball with
in my youth and for some reason they were called "spaldines."

Spalding made all kinds of sports gear. I had a number of Spalding
baseball gloves when I was a kid. Think they made 16" softballs too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Susan Bugher" wrote in message
stuff snipped

Typo alert - the spelling should be spalling, not spalding.

Good catch. Spaldings were the pink rubber balls we played stickball with
in my youth and for some reason they were called "spaldines."

Spalding made all kinds of sports gear. I had a number of Spalding
baseball gloves when I was a kid. Think they made 16" softballs too.

Who the phuc cares?! Four replies worry about a misspelled word. Yet
offer no advice to the OP from Reno, Nevada about his concerns or
question why it happens. Cheap shots. Bunch of no nothings, I'd say.

KMA
--
"Dumb is local...As soon as you go 15 miles away from your dumbness, you see how dumb you are." -- Sherrod Small

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Typo alert - the spelling should be spalling, not spalding.

Lots of info online about cause (varies) & repair if you search for
"spalled concrete".

Susan

Thanks Internet school teacher. I saw my spelling error after I
posted. Maybe you could give the OP some advice about concrete
"spalling" in Reno; instead of pickin' nits?

Or move over to the alt.home.repair.spell.check group.

Lots of info online on how to get there.

Premature Postification, don't feel bad it happens to all guys every now and then. Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle Immature Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 17, 2016 at 8:27:29 PM UTC-5, Robert Green wrote:
"Susan Bugher" wrote in message
stuff snipped

Typo alert - the spelling should be spalling, not spalding.

Good catch. Spaldings were the pink rubber balls we played stickball with
in my youth and for some reason they were called "spaldines."

Actually, Spalding is the name of a sporting goods company that makes all
kinds of balls. As long as we are correcting spelling errors, the balls
you are referring to are Spaldeens, not spaldines, and they are still
available.

http://shop.spalding.com/Spalding-Sp.../dp/B008S1QIRC

Another option for stickball was the Pensie Pinkie which were usually
cheaper than the Spaldeens, except for those of us with access to a
Spalding outlet store.

I grew up in NYC but my grandparents lived in Chicopee, MA. Until fairly
recently, there was a Spalding factory within walking distance of their
house. The factory had an outlet store and we would stock up on Spaldeens
for stickball, handball, stoopball, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Sounds like it took a lotta balls to grow up there ...

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/17/2016 09:31 PM, Oren wrote:
Bunch of no nothings, I'd say.

know-nothings
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Susan Bugher" wrote in message
stuff snipped

Typo alert - the spelling should be spalling, not spalding.

Good catch. Spaldings were the pink rubber balls we played stickball

with
in my youth and for some reason they were called "spaldines."

Spalding made all kinds of sports gear. I had a number of Spalding
baseball gloves when I was a kid. Think they made 16" softballs too.

Yes, I had Spalding baseball gloves, too. I was thoroughly schooled on the
subject by DerbyDad. Now I "no" the real story behind Spalding's Spaldeens
aka "spaldines." I don't recall seeing anything other that "Spalding" on
those pink balls. Since this was Brooklyn, I always assumed people were
merely mis-pronouncing the name as they did when they said "earl" instead of
"oil" and "terdy-terd" insted of "thirty-third."

I do remember how awful Spaldeens smelled when my sister put a bunch of them
in a muffin tin and baked them in the oven. (-;

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Typo alert - the spelling should be spalling, not spalding.

Good catch. Spaldings were the pink rubber balls we played stickball with
in my youth and for some reason they were called "spaldines."

Spalding made all kinds of sports gear. I had a number of Spalding
baseball gloves when I was a kid. Think they made 16" softballs too.

Spalding basenalls were always best for throwing .. the ..
_ _ _ spawl - ball _ _ _

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Sunday, January 17, 2016 at 8:27:29 PM UTC-5, Robert Green wrote:
"Susan Bugher" wrote in message
stuff snipped

Typo alert - the spelling should be spalling, not spalding.

Good catch. Spaldings were the pink rubber balls we played stickball

with
in my youth and for some reason they were called "spaldines."

Actually, Spalding is the name of a sporting goods company that makes all
kinds of balls. As long as we are correcting spelling errors, the balls
you are referring to are Spaldeens, not spaldines, and they are still
available.

http://shop.spalding.com/Spalding-Sp.../dp/B008S1QIRC

It says "Spalding" right on the pink ball in the photo and they use the name
"Spaldeen" in quotes in the article. While I will concede that "deen" is
the accepted spelling it's not officially named that anywhere I can see.

Spaldeen is actually a mispronunciation but this ball was so popular in
New York that it took on a New York accent and the emphasis is placed on the
DEEN.

Knowledge of the Spaldeen can generally be used to identify someone who
grew up in New York any time during its mid-twentieth century production
run. In other words, if someone born before 1972 doesn't know what a
spaldeen is, they probably aren't from New York.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/9/19/584252/-

Another option for stickball was the Pensie Pinkie which were usually
cheaper than the Spaldeens, except for those of us with access to a
Spalding outlet store.

You wouldn't want to be caught using "Pennsy Pinkie" in my neighborhood. In
the above quote article they say: In the Bronx Pensy Pinky was considered
an inferior product and a public embarrassment. Getting caught with a Pensy
Pinky was even more "skeeved out" than your mother buying you or a "pair of
skips." Skips were sneakers that weren't Cons or Pro Keds and the Pensy
Pinky was "Fugazy."

I grew up in NYC but my grandparents lived in Chicopee, MA. Until fairly
recently, there was a Spalding factory within walking distance of their
house. The factory had an outlet store and we would stock up on Spaldeens
for stickball, handball, stoopball, etc.

Apparently knowing the word "Spaldeen" marks us both as NYC dwellers. Now
if you'll excuse me, I am going to make a "sardeen" sandwich and then
workout on my rowing "macheen" while reading my "magazeen" article about
"wolvereens." (-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Concrete damage-Why? (The spelling is spalling is galling, I'mtelling you're falling.)

On 1/17/2016 9:48 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Sunday, January 17, 2016 at 6:35:54 PM UTC-6, Oren wrote:
Thanks Internet school teacher. I saw my spelling error after I
posted. Maybe you could give the OP some advice about concrete
"spalling" in Reno; instead of pickin' nits?

Or move over to the alt.home.repair.spell.check group.

Lots of info online on how to get there.

Premature Postification, don't feel bad it happens to all guys every now and then. Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle Immature Monster

If your education lasts longer than four hours,
see a doctor.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in news:h0jo9bl5ld20kiakc2u8hjj7cnhbgal193@
4ax.com:

Who the phuc cares?! Four replies worry about a misspelled word. Yet
offer no advice to the OP from Reno, Nevada about his concerns or
question why it happens. Cheap shots. Bunch of no nothings, I'd say.

KMA

Proving once again what a scum-bag ass-hole (SBAH) you are.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Jan 2016 19:20:05 -0500, Susan Bugher
wrote in

Typo alert - the spelling should be spalling, not spalding.

Nice catch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 18, 2016 at 8:01:58 AM UTC-5, Robert Green wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Sunday, January 17, 2016 at 8:27:29 PM UTC-5, Robert Green wrote:
"Susan Bugher" wrote in message
stuff snipped

Typo alert - the spelling should be spalling, not spalding.

Good catch. Spaldings were the pink rubber balls we played stickball

with
in my youth and for some reason they were called "spaldines."

Actually, Spalding is the name of a sporting goods company that makes all
kinds of balls. As long as we are correcting spelling errors, the balls
you are referring to are Spaldeens, not spaldines, and they are still
available.

http://shop.spalding.com/Spalding-Sp.../dp/B008S1QIRC

It says "Spalding" right on the pink ball in the photo and they use the name
"Spaldeen" in quotes in the article.

The photo also shows "The Original Spaldeen" on the box.

While I will concede that "deen" is
the accepted spelling it's not officially named that anywhere I can see.

The name has been official since 1981 when the trademark was registered:

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfi...803:4v0you.2.1

Spaldeen is actually a mispronunciation but this ball was so popular in
New York that it took on a New York accent and the emphasis is placed on the
DEEN.

I wonder what the true meaning of "mispronunciation" is in this case. I
wonder if it was an accent thing that just morphed into the name or a
deliberate mispronunciation by an individual (just for fun) that spread
through his group and eventually became the standard. The close proximity
of people in a place like NYC could easily have allowed that to happen.

[...]

Former NYC dweller. Flushing, Queens to be more precise. As you well know,
"NYC dweller" is way to broad a term considering the diversity of the 5
boroughs. It almost as if there are 5 different NYC's.

I couldn't possibly count the number of times we were hauled back into the
school building after sneaking out to play a few rounds of Chinese Handball.
We would sometimes get 15 or more people along the side of the building. Some
kids never got a whiff of the Ace position. Ahh...the Slice, the Baby and of course, "Asses Up".

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

"Susan Bugher" wrote in message
stuff snipped

Typo alert - the spelling should be spalling, not spalding.

Good catch. Spaldings were the pink rubber balls we played stickball with
in my youth and for some reason they were called "spaldines."

Spalding made all kinds of sports gear. I had a number of Spalding
baseball gloves when I was a kid. Think they made 16" softballs too.

Who the phuc cares?! Four replies worry about a misspelled word. Yet
offer no advice to the OP from Reno, Nevada about his concerns or
question why it happens. Cheap shots. Bunch of no nothings, I'd say.

KMA

+1 Time to stop reading this thread. Another derailment.

--
Tekkie