jj3000

Default concrete damage repair

There is a concrete slab on my side yard, it looked like someone tried
to break it up with a sledge hammer and then gave up. (?)

couple of pics

http://www.sfu.ca/~rhui/house/backyard/DSC01038.JPG
http://www.sfu.ca/~rhui/house/backyard/DSC01040.JPG

Can I use the vinyl patch concrete repair stuff to fix this?
How should I prep the area? Can I use a resurfacing product
afterwards?

Thanks in advance..
Joseph Meehan

jj3000 wrote:
There is a concrete slab on my side yard, it looked like someone tried
to break it up with a sledge hammer and then gave up. (?)

couple of pics

http://www.sfu.ca/~rhui/house/backyard/DSC01038.JPG
http://www.sfu.ca/~rhui/house/backyard/DSC01040.JPG

Can I use the vinyl patch concrete repair stuff to fix this?
How should I prep the area? Can I use a resurfacing product
afterwards?

Thanks in advance..

That stuff is likely older than you are, maybe older than I am. My
guess it's condition is a matter of old age, poor sub base, maybe a too thin
or poor mix. It really needs to be replaced, not patched. It is really
not solid enough to patch and expect the patches to hold up.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

SQLit

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
jj3000 wrote:
There is a concrete slab on my side yard, it looked like someone tried
to break it up with a sledge hammer and then gave up. (?)

couple of pics

http://www.sfu.ca/~rhui/house/backyard/DSC01038.JPG
http://www.sfu.ca/~rhui/house/backyard/DSC01040.JPG

Can I use the vinyl patch concrete repair stuff to fix this?
How should I prep the area? Can I use a resurfacing product
afterwards?

Thanks in advance..

That stuff is likely older than you are, maybe older than I am. My
guess it's condition is a matter of old age, poor sub base, maybe a too

thin
or poor mix. It really needs to be replaced, not patched. It is really
not solid enough to patch and expect the patches to hold up.

--
Joseph Meehan

agreed, looks like poor workmanship when originally done.

Before an ATTEMPT of a repair is done your going to have to get rid of the
green growing stuff. Which tends to make me think that there is ponding
water on this concrete. Any ATTEMPT of coating/covering the area will
result in raising the grade so that water can now go into the home on both
sides.

If your staying in the home replace it. If your not wash it with a power
washer.

Ashton Crusher

On 12 Mar 2005 00:10:33 -0800, (jj3000) wrote:

There is a concrete slab on my side yard, it looked like someone tried
to break it up with a sledge hammer and then gave up. (?)

couple of pics

http://www.sfu.ca/~rhui/house/backyard/DSC01038.JPG
http://www.sfu.ca/~rhui/house/backyard/DSC01040.JPG

Can I use the vinyl patch concrete repair stuff to fix this?
How should I prep the area? Can I use a resurfacing product
afterwards?

Thanks in advance..

I don't think you'll find anything that will make a decent long
lasting repair on that short of putting a 4 to 5 inch thick fiber
concrete overlay on it. Is keeping it concrete a must? If you are
mostly trying to have it look better you might consider just putting a
thin redwood "deck" on it.
ameijers

jj3000 wrote:
There is a concrete slab on my side yard, it looked like someone tried
to break it up with a sledge hammer and then gave up. (?)

couple of pics

http://www.sfu.ca/~rhui/house/backyard/DSC01038.JPG
http://www.sfu.ca/~rhui/house/backyard/DSC01040.JPG

Can I use the vinyl patch concrete repair stuff to fix this?
How should I prep the area? Can I use a resurfacing product
afterwards?

Thanks in advance..

That stuff is likely older than you are, maybe older than I am. My
guess it's condition is a matter of old age, poor sub base, maybe a too

thin
or poor mix. It really needs to be replaced, not patched. It is really
not solid enough to patch and expect the patches to hold up.

What he said. My first thought on seeing the pictures was frost heave. Do
you get freezing weather where you are? Cheap slab, no rebar or fabric, not
enough gravel and drainage underneath, water gets under it, and sproing. Do
you notice the chunks moving around (up and down) over the course of the
year? No patch is gonna stick to old dirty concrete, especially if it is
still moving.

Proper repair is demo and replace. Not that expensive, if there is easy
access to get a truck to it. An air-powered jack hammer would make short
work of it. If it bothers you, and if your budget allows, I'd get a couple
estimates from local flatwork companies. If budget doesn't allow, and it
bothers you enough, get a DIY book on concrete forming and finishing, and a
pickax, and start in. Whatever you put in to replace, make sure the water
drains away from the structure (garage, I assume), and that no wood ends up
sitting in a hole.

aem sends...

"Nails" For Concrete, And Using Of Questions Robert11 Home Repair 15 February 3rd 05 11:41 AM
How to make new concrete attach to old concrete JW Home Repair 8 June 27th 04 08:44 AM
Acid vs. concrete. Cafe1 Home Repair 17 May 13th 04 02:39 AM
Cost to install a concrete pad? The Other Harry Home Repair 11 January 11th 04 08:53 PM
How to Stiffen Concrete While Keeping Long Work Time? Jay Chan Home Repair 6 July 11th 03 03:46 AM