ameijers

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
jj3000 wrote:
There is a concrete slab on my side yard, it looked like someone tried
to break it up with a sledge hammer and then gave up. (?)

couple of pics

http://www.sfu.ca/~rhui/house/backyard/DSC01038.JPG
http://www.sfu.ca/~rhui/house/backyard/DSC01040.JPG

Can I use the vinyl patch concrete repair stuff to fix this?
How should I prep the area? Can I use a resurfacing product
afterwards?

Thanks in advance..

That stuff is likely older than you are, maybe older than I am. My
guess it's condition is a matter of old age, poor sub base, maybe a too

thin
or poor mix. It really needs to be replaced, not patched. It is really
not solid enough to patch and expect the patches to hold up.

What he said. My first thought on seeing the pictures was frost heave. Do
you get freezing weather where you are? Cheap slab, no rebar or fabric, not
enough gravel and drainage underneath, water gets under it, and sproing. Do
you notice the chunks moving around (up and down) over the course of the
year? No patch is gonna stick to old dirty concrete, especially if it is
still moving.

Proper repair is demo and replace. Not that expensive, if there is easy
access to get a truck to it. An air-powered jack hammer would make short
work of it. If it bothers you, and if your budget allows, I'd get a couple
estimates from local flatwork companies. If budget doesn't allow, and it
bothers you enough, get a DIY book on concrete forming and finishing, and a
pickax, and start in. Whatever you put in to replace, make sure the water
drains away from the structure (garage, I assume), and that no wood ends up
sitting in a hole.

aem sends...