Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Concrete damage-Why?

On Sun, 17 Jan 2016 15:18:38 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

In the backyard of a friends house, the concrete is disintegrating a little, on the top. It's in Reno, there has been some snow and below freezing weather in the past month. They've only lived there 2 years, the concrete was fine last year. They don't shovel the snow off this, but I don't think that's needed.

Any idea why the surface of concrete would get damaged?
And what a person could do about it? So it doesn't get worse?

Here are 2 pictures:
http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/y...t/IMG_1109.jpg
http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/y...t/IMG_1108.jpg

Thank you,
Bill

It looks like spalding, cause by salt/calcium minerals that weep from
below. Much of Nevada was once a salt water ocean.

Is there an irrigation line under the drive that leaks? Any surface
water will aggravate the problem. The photos are worse then mine.
Think efflorescence in concrete from the bottom to the top of the
drive. Another problem is the drive was poured in cold weather and
didn't cure correctly due to the crew being in a hurry?

I guess the block walls have similar efflorescence after rains...in
Reno.