Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting Concrete Wall in Basement | Water Damage

We have a concrete wall in the basement - the style you'd see in the
older schools. It is painted with relatively new paint from a previous
owner.

A hole had to be drilled in the house a few months back and wasn't
properly sealed. Quite a bit of water flowed through that hole into the
hose down the outer side of the concrete wall (to where we really don't
have access). Underneath the wall the carpet became wet for about three
feet out.

Now paint if bubbling and crusting and peeling in patches on that
section of the concrete wall especially in the grout/mortar areas. I
scraped all the bad paint off and the concrete looks wet/damp. The
grout/mortar from underneath the bad paint also seems to be very weak
and can be relatively easily chipped with a metal blade. This is
happening in relatively isolated patches so I don't think integrity is
an issue.

We are painting the rest of the basement and are going to repaint the
concrete wall as well. Now that we scraped off the bad paint should we
let the concrete/grout/mortar air out a bit or is that moisture going
to be in there for a long while? We bought some Drylok to seal it but
we don't know if its better to just go ahead and seal it or to wait for
it to dry out more. We also have no idea just how much water is
sitting behind that wall and we really don't have the means to look.

Any ideas?

Bathroom Wall - water damage cover Home Repair 5 May 5th 06 10:19 PM
basement concrete wall hole leaks morenuf Home Repair 6 November 23rd 05 04:19 PM
basement smell after water damage 69strat Home Repair 11 August 26th 05 05:34 PM
Basement Wall Painting P12 Home Repair 2 March 30th 05 07:30 PM
jackhammer damage and basement waterproofing? Chang Home Repair 2 July 13th 03 05:09 AM