69strat

Default basement smell after water damage

My wife and I ended up getting water in our basement twice this season
because the sump pump couldn't run with a power outage during heavy
rains. Only about .25" of rain, but enough to cover the whole basement.

we threw most of what got wet out. But I recently realized we missed a
few things. I threw them out and noticed there is a couple greenish
looking marks on the concrete floor where the items sat. Kinda looks
like it could've been drawn with a pen or crayon. Could this fungus of
some kind.

I had the AC running and two dehumidifiers running nonstop. It's very
cool and dry the last couple of days so I have the windows open in the
basement. the smell isn't as bad but it's still there.

I am reading that I should use a mixture of bleach/water to clean the
floor. My wife is eight months pregnant and we don't want those fumes.
Is there something else that's safe or will simply airing it out do
the trick of getting rid of all the smell?

Abe

[...]

------
Airing out alone will not help. The continuing smell indicates you
still have active mold. i can't imagine that a 50/50 bleach/water
solution would harm your baby in any way if you keep your wife out of
the basement and use good ventilation.
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

69strat wrote:
[...]

Bleach / water should be fine. You drink it every day anyway if you
have city water. Send her to moms house for the day while you get up in
the am and mop that thing fully. Pregnant women can be sensitive to
smells, but chlorene is common and she may not be as sensitive to it.

Open Windows. Mop the basement with bleach and water. If you have
sewer drains in the basement hit once more with bleach. Then hit it a
third time with genuine Pine Sol. You will be ok.

Get a backup sump. Im sure you make enough in one day to buy one. And
its going to take a days worth of work for you to clean the mess up.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

Bleach is the ONLY way to get rid of mold. Also buy a small generator
so you have pump power if you lose electricity.

69strat

Thank you. I did purchase a back up sump pump that runs on a marine
battery. It also plugs in to recharge itself.

Is there a better solution available than bleach?

What about the wood foundation that supports the middle of the house
and steps that got wet?

It's untreated 2x4's.

thank you all for your input!!

C & M

The baby is topping off reserve power at this stage and far past development
and the potential for impairment unless she drinks or snorts straight
chlorine. Just vent the place really well. If you're really that concerned
taht the stair horses are not drying properly you could raise them just
enough to circulate air under them - 1/2". You be the judge on cribbing
them if you still need to use them to access the b.ment. Otherwise, use an
exterior door.

"69strat" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

69strat wrote:
Thank you. I did purchase a back up sump pump that runs on a marine
battery. It also plugs in to recharge itself.

Is there a better solution available than bleach?

What about the wood foundation that supports the middle of the house
and steps that got wet?

It's untreated 2x4's.

thank you all for your input!!

You have a real aversion to bleach. Was there some childhood episode we
should know about?? :P

Really bleach is cool. Just DONT mix it with ammonia unless you want to
evacuate the house.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
69strat

No tramatic thing. I just know it smells real nasty. I just figured
it couldn't be good for a pregnant woman to breathe that crap in.
Just being cautious. thanks.

Had simular probelm of water in a wall. (cracked toilet flange). I
poured straight bleach in the wall, turned on the exaust fan, and
closed the door. Went back in there a day later, and it was fine.

Possiblly use a strong bleach mix, leave a fan in window as an exaust
and go away for the weekend.

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

69strat wrote:
No tramatic thing. I just know it smells real nasty. I just figured
it couldn't be good for a pregnant woman to breathe that crap in.
Just being cautious. thanks.

Yes, please send her out of the house for hour or two. Probably
hospitals use bleach to clean there floors though. Just mix with water.
it does not require full strength. There should be directions on the
bottle. Go for the minimum.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

Chris

If she's pregnant, the further away from this kind of stuff the better
- looks like you'll be doing this one, Chief - keep her away... ;-)

The mold smell can lead to dangerous air quality situations too so
best get going with the bleach/water solution once you have the water
problems under control. If you have windows in your basement, stick a
fan at one end blowing OUT and open your other windows in the basement
- otherwise, just leaving windows open without the proper assistance
of a fan, will lead to a LONG hoping period. Most people turn the
fans IN and you don't get near the ventilation doing that - you want
it blowing OUT.

What would it take to seal the basement better and avoid having to
purchase a generator for power outages? Pump motors are generally
fairly heavy loads so I wouldn't rely on batteries - I'd be looking
for a generator unless you can seal off your basement better. You DO
have something growing, hence the smell so best get after it...

Regarding your untreated 2x4s - they need to be coated or they won't
last long. A water sealer like Thompsons or primed and painted would
do. Otherwise, the weather's going to ruin your investment.

On 24 Aug 2005 23:27:26 -0700, "69strat" wrote:

[...]

Amun

wrote in message
ups.com...
Had simular probelm of water in a wall. (cracked toilet flange). I
poured straight bleach in the wall, turned on the exaust fan, and
closed the door. Went back in there a day later, and it was fine.

Possiblly use a strong bleach mix, leave a fan in window as an exaust
and go away for the weekend.

Better still.

use bleach, close all windows, go away as long as possible while the fumes
float around to kill off any other spores.
vent when you come back.

Anyone with a summer/winter home that is closed up/vacant for months knows
this trick