Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Battery life is not up to scratch

What is "up to scratch" mean?
"the battery life on their device is not up to scratch"
http://www.androidauthority.com/nexu...oblems-539900/

Searching web pages for definition "is up to scratch" must be idiom.
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/up+to+scratch

It means "ready" to fight?
How is battery ready to fight?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 2:48:05 PM UTC-5, Vlad Lescovitz wrote:
What is "up to scratch" mean?
"the battery life on their device is not up to scratch"
http://www.androidauthority.com/nexu...oblems-539900/

Searching web pages for definition "is up to scratch" must be idiom.
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/up+to+scratch

It means "ready" to fight?
How is battery ready to fight?

Did you even read the information at the link you provided?
Posted to alt.home.repair

| What is "up to scratch" mean?
| "the battery life on their device is not up to scratch"
| http://www.androidauthority.com/nexu...oblems-539900/
|
| Searching web pages for definition "is up to scratch" must be idiom.
| http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/up+to+scratch
|
| It means "ready" to fight?
| How is battery ready to fight?

It means just what your link says:

Meeting the requirements.
In fit condition.

They expected the battery to last longer than it does.

Ironically, the author of that article appears to
be from India. I think of the expression as archaic.
No one says it now. But maybe it was originally
a British expression and thus became common
Indian usage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 3:21:02 PM UTC-5, Mayayana wrote:
| What is "up to scratch" mean?
| "the battery life on their device is not up to scratch"
| http://www.androidauthority.com/nexu...oblems-539900/
|
| Searching web pages for definition "is up to scratch" must be idiom.
| http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/up+to+scratch
|
| It means "ready" to fight?
| How is battery ready to fight?

It means just what your link says:

Meeting the requirements.
In fit condition.

They expected the battery to last longer than it does.

Ironically, the author of that article appears to
be from India. I think of the expression as archaic.
No one says it now. But maybe it was originally
a British expression and thus became common
Indian usage.

I have used the alternative expression, up to snuff, on occasion.

Of course, I use some other "archaic" expressions on occasion also.

They're fun and they still fit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 3 Jan 2016 19:48:01 -0000 (UTC), Vlad Lescovitz
wrote:

What is "up to scratch" mean?
"the battery life on their device is not up to scratch"
http://www.androidauthority.com/nexu...oblems-539900/

Searching web pages for definition "is up to scratch" must be idiom.
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/up+to+scratch

It means "ready" to fight?
How is battery ready to fight?

"Scratch" is the base line. Like "up to snuff".

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What is "up to scratch" mean?
"the battery life on their device is not up to scratch"
http://www.androidauthority.com/nexu...oblems-539900/

Searching web pages for definition "is up to scratch" must be idiom.
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/up+to+scratch

It means "ready" to fight?

No.

How is battery ready to fight?

It means up to par, of normally good quality.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 3 Jan 2016 12:40:31 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I have used the alternative expression, up to snuff, on occasion.

Of course, I use some other "archaic" expressions on occasion also.

They're fun and they still fit.

Ain't that the cat's meow. Up to scratch and purrs like a kitten.
Can't beat it with a stick
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have used the alternative expression, up to snuff, on occasion.

Of course, I use some other "archaic" expressions on occasion also.

They're fun and they still fit.

Ain't that the cat's meow. Up to scratch and purrs like a kitten.
Can't beat it with a stick

That's better than a sharp stick in the eye.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have used the alternative expression, up to snuff, on occasion.

Of course, I use some other "archaic" expressions on occasion also.

They're fun and they still fit.

Ain't that the cat's meow. Up to scratch and purrs like a kitten.
Can't beat it with a stick

That's better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Looks good from my house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have used the alternative expression, up to snuff, on occasion.

Of course, I use some other "archaic" expressions on occasion also.

They're fun and they still fit.

Ain't that the cat's meow. Up to scratch and purrs like a kitten.
Can't beat it with a stick

That's better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Looks good from my house.

I just got off the phone with an childhood friend of SWMBO. When she asked
me when SWMBO would be home, I told her "Around 10."

Her friend said "I'll be sawing logs by then."

Maybe her friend has been reading this thread. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have used the alternative expression, up to snuff, on occasion.

Of course, I use some other "archaic" expressions on occasion also.

They're fun and they still fit.

Ain't that the cat's meow. Up to scratch and purrs like a kitten.
Can't beat it with a stick

That's better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Looks good from my house.

I just got off the phone with an childhood friend of SWMBO. When she asked
me when SWMBO would be home, I told her "Around 10."

Her friend said "I'll be sawing logs by then."

Maybe her friend has been reading this thread. ;-)

Get 'em while you got 'em.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have used the alternative expression, up to snuff, on occasion.

Of course, I use some other "archaic" expressions on occasion also.

They're fun and they still fit.

Ain't that the cat's meow. Up to scratch and purrs like a kitten.
Can't beat it with a stick

That's better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Looks good from my house.

I just got off the phone with an childhood friend of SWMBO. When she asked
me when SWMBO would be home, I told her "Around 10."

Her friend said "I'll be sawing logs by then."

Maybe her friend has been reading this thread. ;-)

Get 'em while you got 'em.

I never heard that one and honestly, I have no idea what it means.

Closest I've heard was when we were given permission to take a smoke break
In the military. "Smoke 'em if you've got 'em."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have used the alternative expression, up to snuff, on occasion.

Of course, I use some other "archaic" expressions on occasion also.

They're fun and they still fit.

Ain't that the cat's meow. Up to scratch and purrs like a kitten.
Can't beat it with a stick

That's better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Looks good from my house.

I just got off the phone with an childhood friend of SWMBO. When she asked
me when SWMBO would be home, I told her "Around 10."

Her friend said "I'll be sawing logs by then."

Maybe her friend has been reading this thread. ;-)

Get 'em while you got 'em.

I never heard that one and honestly, I have no idea what it means.

Closest I've heard was when we were given permission to take a smoke break
In the military. "Smoke 'em if you've got 'em."

When the huckleberries are ripe, grab your bucket and run.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/3/2016 6:48 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 3 Jan 2016 18:44:31 -0500, Stormin Mormon
Of course, I use some other "archaic" expressions on occasion also.

They're fun and they still fit.

Ain't that the cat's meow. Up to scratch and purrs like a kitten.
Can't beat it with a stick

That's better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Looks good from my house.

Be there if it don't rain.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have used the alternative expression, up to snuff, on occasion.

Of course, I use some other "archaic" expressions on occasion also.

They're fun and they still fit.

Ain't that the cat's meow. Up to scratch and purrs like a kitten.
Can't beat it with a stick

That's better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Looks good from my house.

I just got off the phone with an childhood friend of SWMBO. When she asked
me when SWMBO would be home, I told her "Around 10."

Her friend said "I'll be sawing logs by then."

Maybe her friend has been reading this thread. ;-)

I had a roommate some years ago who sounded like he was eating alligators while he slept. Sometimes I'd start laughing when he really chowed down on one of the large reptiles. Perhaps the gator was fighting back? Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle Gator Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 3:21:02 PM UTC-5, Mayayana wrote:
| What is "up to scratch" mean?
| "the battery life on their device is not up to scratch"
| http://www.androidauthority.com/nexu...oblems-539900/
|
| Searching web pages for definition "is up to scratch" must be idiom.
| http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/up+to+scratch
|
| It means "ready" to fight?
| How is battery ready to fight?

It means just what your link says:

Meeting the requirements.
In fit condition.

They expected the battery to last longer than it does.

Ironically, the author of that article appears to
be from India. I think of the expression as archaic.
No one says it now. But maybe it was originally
a British expression and thus became common
Indian usage.

I have used the alternative expression, up to snuff, on occasion.

Of course, I use some other "archaic" expressions on occasion also.

They're fun and they still fit.

I agree. I have the feeling Americans don't use metaphors much
anymore and that our language is boring.

Whoever counts the posts he Could you count the metaphors too and
let us know?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 3:21:02 PM UTC-5, Mayayana wrote:
| What is "up to scratch" mean?
| "the battery life on their device is not up to scratch"
| http://www.androidauthority.com/nexu...oblems-539900/
|
| Searching web pages for definition "is up to scratch" must be idiom.
| http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/up+to+scratch
|
| It means "ready" to fight?
| How is battery ready to fight?

It means just what your link says:

Meeting the requirements.
In fit condition.

They expected the battery to last longer than it does.

Ironically, the author of that article appears to
be from India. I think of the expression as archaic.
No one says it now. But maybe it was originally
a British expression and thus became common
Indian usage.

I have used the alternative expression, up to snuff, on occasion.

Of course, I use some other "archaic" expressions on occasion also.

They're fun and they still fit.

I agree. I have the feeling Americans don't use metaphors much
anymore and that our language is boring.

Whoever counts the posts he Could you count the metaphors too and
let us know?

Could it be that we are having to talk to people around the world who are not native English speakers and the metaphors are lost on them so we must cull the language of difficult to understand metaphors to produce a standard English? Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle English Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 3:21:02 PM UTC-5, Mayayana wrote:
| What is "up to scratch" mean?
| "the battery life on their device is not up to scratch"
| http://www.androidauthority.com/nexu...oblems-539900/
|
| Searching web pages for definition "is up to scratch" must be idiom.
| http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/up+to+scratch
|
| It means "ready" to fight?
| How is battery ready to fight?

It means just what your link says:

Meeting the requirements.
In fit condition.

They expected the battery to last longer than it does.

Ironically, the author of that article appears to
be from India. I think of the expression as archaic.
No one says it now. But maybe it was originally
a British expression and thus became common
Indian usage.

I have used the alternative expression, up to snuff, on occasion.

Of course, I use some other "archaic" expressions on occasion also.

They're fun and they still fit.

I agree. I have the feeling Americans don't use metaphors much
anymore and that our language is boring.

Whoever counts the posts he Could you count the metaphors too and
let us know?

Could it be that we are having to talk to people around the world who are not native English speakers and the metaphors are lost on them so we must cull the language of difficult to understand metaphors to produce a standard English? ?.?

An insightful thought, but no, not for me. I don't pay those furiners
any mind. I don't think the others do either.

[8~{} Uncle English Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2016 6:25 AM, Micky wrote:

I agree. I have the feeling Americans don't use metaphors much
anymore and that our language is boring.

Whoever counts the posts he Could you count the metaphors too and
let us know?

I'd guess that's "not my job".

Metaphors and expressions are fun when both parties
of the first and second part know what they mean.
I've had more than a few which left me blank, as
I didn't have the background to know what the heck
that all meant.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default American English is not up to scratch

On 1/4/2016 6:39 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Monday, January 4, 2016 at 5:26:22 AM UTC-6, Micky wrote:
Whoever counts the posts he Could you count the metaphors too and
let us know?

Could it be that we are having to talk to people around the world who are not native English speakers and the metaphors are lost on them so we must cull the language of difficult to understand metaphors to produce a standard English? Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle English Monster

I used to get letters asking for #26 donation to the cause,
to campaign Congress to make English the official language
of the USA. I'd typically write back what a ruddy good
sight. Whilst I was taking the tyke out in the lorry from
my flat to the ironmonger to pick up a flex (the torch in
my flat went out, right by the telly). The tyke needed a
new nappy, so we stopped at Macky Dee for some bangors and
mash whilst pushing tyke in the pram.

I've not had one of those letters in ages. Wonder why?

Cheerio!

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Stormin Mormon:
I used to get letters asking for #26 donation to the cause,
to campaign Congress to make English the official language
of the USA. I'd typically write back what a ruddy good
sight. Whilst I was taking the tyke out in the lorry from
my flat to the ironmonger to pick up a flex (the torch in
my flat went out, right by the telly). The tyke needed a
new nappy, so we stopped at Macky Dee for some bangors and
mash whilst pushing tyke in the pram.

The UK and the USA: Two great countries separated by a common language.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2016 9:34 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Stormin Mormon:
I used to get letters asking for #26 donation to the cause,
to campaign Congress to make English the official language
of the USA. I'd typically write back what a ruddy good
sight. Whilst I was taking the tyke out in the lorry from
my flat to the ironmonger to pick up a flex (the torch in
my flat went out, right by the telly). The tyke needed a
new nappy, so we stopped at Macky Dee for some bangors and
mash whilst pushing tyke in the pram.

The UK and the USA: Two great countries separated by a common language.

Englisher during the War, visiting USA. Using the
telephone long distance. Which was very rationed.
The operator came on the line and asked "are you
through?".

Anyone else know the rest of this anecdode? If
not, I'll tell it.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

I have used the alternative expression, up to snuff, on occasion.

Of course, I use some other "archaic" expressions on occasion also.

They're fun and they still fit.

Ain't that the cat's meow. Up to scratch and purrs like a kitten.
Can't beat it with a stick

That's better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Looks good from my house.

Good enough for government work. Good as sliced bread. Slicker than cow
**** in the middle of winter. Works for me.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

wrote:

On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 3:21:02 PM UTC-5, Mayayana wrote:
| What is "up to scratch" mean?
| "the battery life on their device is not up to scratch"
| http://www.androidauthority.com/nexu...oblems-539900/
|
| Searching web pages for definition "is up to scratch" must be idiom.
| http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/up+to+scratch
|
| It means "ready" to fight?
| How is battery ready to fight?

It means just what your link says:

Meeting the requirements.
In fit condition.

They expected the battery to last longer than it does.

Ironically, the author of that article appears to
be from India. I think of the expression as archaic.
No one says it now. But maybe it was originally
a British expression and thus became common
Indian usage.

I have used the alternative expression, up to snuff, on occasion.

Of course, I use some other "archaic" expressions on occasion also.

They're fun and they still fit.

I agree. I have the feeling Americans don't use metaphors much
anymore and that our language is boring.

Whoever counts the posts he Could you count the metaphors too and
let us know?

Could it be that we are having to talk to people around the world who are not native English speakers and the metaphors are lost on them so we must cull the language of difficult to understand metaphors to produce a standard English? ?.?

[8~{} Uncle English Monster

Ferget abbout it...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

I have used the alternative expression, up to snuff, on occasion.

Of course, I use some other "archaic" expressions on occasion also.

They're fun and they still fit.

Ain't that the cat's meow. Up to scratch and purrs like a kitten.
Can't beat it with a stick

That's better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Looks good from my house.

Good enough for government work. Good as sliced bread. Slicker than cow
**** in the middle of winter. Works for me.

How about "dry as a fart in a summer breeze"

Battery life [email protected] Electronics Repair 36 August 4th 14 01:05 AM
UPS battery life Andrew Rossmann Electronics Repair 33 January 10th 11 12:51 AM
Battery Shelf Life Dottie Home Repair 55 June 11th 09 05:55 PM
Battery life Volund Electronics 4 October 5th 04 06:31 PM
Battery life tests Stormin Mormon Home Repair 1 September 22nd 04 08:39 PM