Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie® Tekkie® is offline

Default Battery life is not up to scratch

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

On Monday, January 4, 2016 at 5:26:22 AM UTC-6, Micky wrote:
On Sun, 3 Jan 2016 12:40:31 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 3:21:02 PM UTC-5, Mayayana wrote:
| What is "up to scratch" mean?
| "the battery life on their device is not up to scratch"
| http://www.androidauthority.com/nexu...oblems-539900/
|
| Searching web pages for definition "is up to scratch" must be idiom.
| http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/up+to+scratch
|
| It means "ready" to fight?
| How is battery ready to fight?

It means just what your link says:

Meeting the requirements.
In fit condition.

They expected the battery to last longer than it does.

Ironically, the author of that article appears to
be from India. I think of the expression as archaic.
No one says it now. But maybe it was originally
a British expression and thus became common
Indian usage.

I have used the alternative expression, up to snuff, on occasion.

Of course, I use some other "archaic" expressions on occasion also.

They're fun and they still fit.

I agree. I have the feeling Americans don't use metaphors much
anymore and that our language is boring.

Whoever counts the posts he Could you count the metaphors too and
let us know?

Could it be that we are having to talk to people around the world who are not native English speakers and the metaphors are lost on them so we must cull the language of difficult to understand metaphors to produce a standard English? ?.?

[8~{} Uncle English Monster

Ferget abbout it...

--
Tekkie