Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Battery life is not up to scratch

On Sun, 3 Jan 2016 12:40:31 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 3:21:02 PM UTC-5, Mayayana wrote:
| What is "up to scratch" mean?
| "the battery life on their device is not up to scratch"
| http://www.androidauthority.com/nexu...oblems-539900/
|
| Searching web pages for definition "is up to scratch" must be idiom.
| http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/up+to+scratch
|
| It means "ready" to fight?
| How is battery ready to fight?

It means just what your link says:

Meeting the requirements.
In fit condition.

They expected the battery to last longer than it does.

Ironically, the author of that article appears to
be from India. I think of the expression as archaic.
No one says it now. But maybe it was originally
a British expression and thus became common
Indian usage.

I have used the alternative expression, up to snuff, on occasion.

Of course, I use some other "archaic" expressions on occasion also.

They're fun and they still fit.

I agree. I have the feeling Americans don't use metaphors much
anymore and that our language is boring.

Whoever counts the posts he Could you count the metaphors too and
let us know?