Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heavy blankets on top or on bottom in bed to keep warm?

I am not bothered by wool and I feel that it's warmer in bed with the
heavy blankets on the bottom but my girlfriend is itched by wool and she
feels the heavy blankets should go on top with the softer cotton furry
blankets on bottom with the thin light down blankets in the middle.

Who is right for the most warmth?

Heavy blankets on top?
Heavy blankets on bottom?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2015 9:25 PM, E. Robinson wrote:
I am not bothered by wool and I feel that it's warmer in bed with the
heavy blankets on the bottom but my girlfriend is itched by wool and she
feels the heavy blankets should go on top with the softer cotton furry
blankets on bottom with the thin light down blankets in the middle.

Who is right for the most warmth?

Heavy blankets on top?
Heavy blankets on bottom?

I have an electric mattress pad.
An electric blanket on top.
A thermal blanket over that.
Another blanket over that.
A quilt over that.

Works great.
I rarely get cold.
Sometimes I have to turn off the electric parts in summer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2015 10:25 PM, E. Robinson wrote:
I am not bothered by wool and I feel that it's warmer in bed with the
heavy blankets on the bottom but my girlfriend is itched by wool and she
feels the heavy blankets should go on top with the softer cotton furry
blankets on bottom with the thin light down blankets in the middle.

Who is right for the most warmth?

Heavy blankets on top?
Heavy blankets on bottom?

Comfort is determined by how well you trap air (and, to some
degree, moisture -- your body's evaporative cooling).

Assuming you don't have "supplemental heating" (electric
blanket/mattress pad, "another warm body", etc.), you stay warm
by keeping the heat that your body generates from slipping away
from you/it.

Most radiates "out the top" surface. So, anything that prevents
that air from continuing up towards the ceiling is keeping you
warm.

But, what you sleep *on* can also pull heat away from your body
or act to trap it, depending on the material. An unheated water
bed will leave you feeling cold regardless of the number of
blankets on top of you -- it's thermal mass sucks the heat out
of your body too effectively. OTOH, some mattress materials
trap a lot of heat and leave you sweating even with nothing
covering your body (depending on humidity levels, this can
leave you very cold from evaporative losses -- or, just "sticky").

[I think many of the early "memory foam" beds had this problem;
the mattress didn't "breathe" enough so the sleeping surface
just keeps getting warmer and warmer -- even if the other
side of your body is cold!]

I like a cool bed so tend to want something that wicks my body
heat away from me (but not too aggressively). E.g., I will
often fall asleep on the carpeted floor slab fully clothed
and be very comfortable -- despite the heat sinking ability of
the cement beneath me.

Why not just try *objectively* evaluating different configurations?
Of course, if one or both of you can't be objective in that
evaluation, then the "scientifically correct" answer will be
just as readily rejected -- due to "inconvenience"!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 05:25:15 -0000 (UTC), "E. Robinson"
wrote:

I am not bothered by wool and I feel that it's warmer in bed with the
heavy blankets on the bottom but my girlfriend is itched by wool and she
feels the heavy blankets should go on top with the softer cotton furry
blankets on bottom with the thin light down blankets in the middle.

Who is right for the most warmth?

Heavy blankets on top?
Heavy blankets on bottom?

I don't think it matters, so you should decide based on other factors.
Maybe you could do me a favor. Figure out why you feel warmer the
moment you put an additional blanket on, even though there has been
not enough time for any heat to build up. When you know the answer
to that, let me know, and it might help you answer your quesiton too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

E. Robinson wrote:
I am not bothered by wool and I feel that it's warmer in bed with the
heavy blankets on the bottom but my girlfriend is itched by wool and she
feels the heavy blankets should go on top with the softer cotton furry
blankets on bottom with the thin light down blankets in the middle.

Who is right for the most warmth?

Heavy blankets on top?
Heavy blankets on bottom?

Two best things for our bed. Sheep skin mattress cover from New Zealand,
Quilted heavy blanket made with pure silk fabric as a blanket from
China.(very light weight and feel soft/warm) Both collected during our
traveling days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2015 12:25 AM, E. Robinson wrote:
I am not bothered by wool and I feel that it's warmer in bed with the
heavy blankets on the bottom but my girlfriend is itched by wool and she
feels the heavy blankets should go on top with the softer cotton furry
blankets on bottom with the thin light down blankets in the middle.

Who is right for the most warmth?

Heavy blankets on top?
Heavy blankets on bottom?

If a man speaks in the woods and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2015 12:25 AM, E. Robinson wrote:
I am not bothered by wool and I feel that it's warmer in bed with the
heavy blankets on the bottom but my girlfriend is itched by wool and she
feels the heavy blankets should go on top with the softer cotton furry
blankets on bottom with the thin light down blankets in the middle.

Who is right for the most warmth?

Heavy blankets on top?
Heavy blankets on bottom?

Flannel bed set will eliminate the need for all the heavy stuff. Flannel
will eliminate that first cold sensation when you enter the bed, thus,
no concerns about a blanket on the bottom. If you need a bit more
warmth, add a comforter on top.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2015 12:25 AM, E. Robinson wrote:
I am not bothered by wool and I feel that it's warmer in bed with the
heavy blankets on the bottom but my girlfriend is itched by wool and she
feels the heavy blankets should go on top with the softer cotton furry
blankets on bottom with the thin light down blankets in the middle.

Who is right for the most warmth?

Heavy blankets on top?
Heavy blankets on bottom?

You and your girlfriend need to sleep in separate
apartment, so you are less likely to fornicate and
enter into condemnation in the sight of God.

The two of you set up your own beds the way you
each want, and there is no need for discussion.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

A regular mattress is a natural insulator - no need for
blankets between it and your body. Plenty of internal
openings between the layers of padding and the
springs. sheet/blankets/comforter on top it is!

I on the other hand am so sensitive to drafts/temp
differential, if one foot is uncovered in bed, even in
JULY, I am positively shivering. So when changing
the sheets I make sure that end is super tucked in,
even if there's 6 inches less covers up at my head.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2015 9:25 PM, E. Robinson wrote:
I like it on the bottom but show talent on the top.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2015 8:49 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/31/2015 12:25 AM, E. Robinson wrote:
I am not bothered by wool and I feel that it's warmer in bed with the
heavy blankets on the bottom but my girlfriend is itched by wool and she
feels the heavy blankets should go on top with the softer cotton furry
blankets on bottom with the thin light down blankets in the middle.

Who is right for the most warmth?

Heavy blankets on top?
Heavy blankets on bottom?

You and your girlfriend need to sleep in separate
apartment, so you are less likely to fornicate and
enter into condemnation in the sight of God.

The two of you set up your own beds the way you
each want, and there is no need for discussion.

Separate apartments is a little extreme (though not to be completely
ignored if she's a PITA), but the idea of two twin beds next to each
other could be a possibility. That is of course, you both need that
togetherness when sleeping. Each could have their own set of sheets yet
still maintain a one bed sense. It will also help apply a center line
when the fight ensues about who's on whose side.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
"apartment, so you are less likely to fornicate and
enter into condemnation in the sight of God.

The two of you set up your own beds the way you
each want, and there is no need for discussion. "

I'm a born-Again, yet the last thing I do is tell others
how to live their lives, as long as they are not harming
others, or have the potential to.

"Learn more about Jesus - then PRAY
that others will come to know Him just
as intimately"
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Maybe you could do me a favor. Figure out why you feel warmer the
moment you put an additional blanket on, even though there has been
not enough time for any heat to build up. When you know the answer
to that, let me know, and it might help you answer your quesiton too.

The added weight triggers an anticipatory "now I'm warm" response?

--
With all this “gun control” talk, I haven’t heard one politician say how
they plan to take guns away from criminals and terrorists— just from law
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 05:25:15 -0000 (UTC), "E. Robinson"
wrote in

Heavy blankets on top?

That's correct.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Maybe you could do me a favor. Figure out why you feel warmer the
moment you put an additional blanket on, even though there has been
not enough time for any heat to build up. When you know the answer
to that, let me know, and it might help you answer your quesiton too.

The added weight triggers an anticipatory "now I'm warm" response?

Have you noticed it too?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 9:32:37 AM UTC-6, CRNG wrote:
On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 05:25:15 -0000 (UTC), "E. Robinson"
wrote in

Heavy blankets on top?

That's correct.
--

I read something about the heavy blankets giving you the feeling of being back in the womb which helps you relax. I like a blanket with a little weight unless it's too hot in the bedroom. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Blanket Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 7:06:41 AM UTC-6, SBH wrote:
On 12/31/2015 12:25 AM, E. Robinson wrote:
I am not bothered by wool and I feel that it's warmer in bed with the
heavy blankets on the bottom but my girlfriend is itched by wool and she
feels the heavy blankets should go on top with the softer cotton furry
blankets on bottom with the thin light down blankets in the middle.

Who is right for the most warmth?

Heavy blankets on top?
Heavy blankets on bottom?

Flannel bed set will eliminate the need for all the heavy stuff. Flannel
will eliminate that first cold sensation when you enter the bed, thus,
no concerns about a blanket on the bottom. If you need a bit more
warmth, add a comforter on top.

I use the thin shiny space blankets because I'm part Martian. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Space Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2015 8:06 AM, Meanie wrote:

Flannel bed set will eliminate the need for all the heavy stuff. Flannel
will eliminate that first cold sensation when you enter the bed, thus,
no concerns about a blanket on the bottom. If you need a bit more
warmth, add a comforter on top.

After a couple of washings we did not care for the flannel so much.
Maybe it was not the best set. We bought a set of Jersey sheets and
like them better. So much that we bought two more sets of them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2015 8:57 AM, Meanie wrote:

Separate apartments is a little extreme (though not to be completely
ignored if she's a PITA), but the idea of two twin beds next to each
other could be a possibility. That is of course, you both need that
togetherness when sleeping. Each could have their own set of sheets yet
still maintain a one bed sense. It will also help apply a center line
when the fight ensues about who's on whose side.

After my wife had surgery I bought her a power adjustable bed. We liked
it so much we ditched the king size, bought another and now have them
side by side. No fighting for the covers in the middle of the night and
reading or TV is more comfortable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2015 12:18 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/31/2015 8:57 AM, Meanie wrote:

Separate apartments is a little extreme (though not to be completely
ignored if she's a PITA), but the idea of two twin beds next to each
other could be a possibility. That is of course, you both need that
togetherness when sleeping. Each could have their own set of sheets yet
still maintain a one bed sense. It will also help apply a center line
when the fight ensues about who's on whose side.

After my wife had surgery I bought her a power adjustable bed. We liked
it so much we ditched the king size, bought another and now have them
side by side. No fighting for the covers in the middle of the night and
reading or TV is more comfortable.

A testimonial. It can save many marriages.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2015 11:48 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 9:32:37 AM UTC-6, CRNG wrote:
On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 05:25:15 -0000 (UTC), "E. Robinson"
wrote in

Heavy blankets on top?

That's correct.
--

I read something about the heavy blankets giving you the feeling of being back in the womb which helps you relax. I like a blanket with a little weight unless it's too hot in the bedroom. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Blanket Monster

Boys spend 9 months in the womb and the rest of their lives trying to
get back in it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 22:54:45 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

[...]

The only REAL answer there is twin beds.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 04:29:20 -0500, Bud Doobie
wrote:

On 12/31/2015 12:25 AM, E. Robinson wrote:
I am not bothered by wool and I feel that it's warmer in bed with the
heavy blankets on the bottom but my girlfriend is itched by wool and she
feels the heavy blankets should go on top with the softer cotton furry
blankets on bottom with the thin light down blankets in the middle.

Who is right for the most warmth?

Heavy blankets on top?
Heavy blankets on bottom?

If a man speaks in the woods and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Did he actually say anything?If there is a woman around if he even
THINKS something he's wrong.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2015 4:21 PM, Don Y wrote:

The only REAL answer there is twin beds.

I'd not be so quick to throw in the towel (or blanket, as the case
may be? : )

My wife and I had very different sleeping preferences -- she wanting
to be toasty warm, me wanting to be very cool. So, we settled on
a cool bedroom with heavy/fluffy blankets that she'd keep to her
side of the bed; I'd sleep under a bedsheet or without any covers.

Tougher problem to address was mattress/pillow firmness; I increasingly
liked
harder/firmer mattresses/pillows while she liked things soft and fluffy.
Of course, over time, the bed erred in her favor due to natural "wear"...

I'm now very comfortable sleeping on the *floor*. Purchasing a new bed
(on the list for 2016) is always a hassle as no one likes beds as firm
as I do so no one MAKES beds as firm as I'd *like*! :

Sounds like twin beds is the answer. Don't disregard them and think you
will be far apart. You put them next to each other and it is just like
a king bed where you can cuddle together all night.

If you like to read or watch TV in bed consider one of the adjustable
beds as if is as comfortable as sitting in a recliner
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2015 3:08 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'm now very comfortable sleeping on the *floor*. Purchasing a new bed
(on the list for 2016) is always a hassle as no one likes beds as firm
as I do so no one MAKES beds as firm as I'd *like*! :

Sounds like twin beds is the answer.

SWMBO and I sleep in separate bedrooms. Our schedules and sleeping
preferences are too dissimilar to make sharing a bed feasible. I
prefer things cooler, firmer, etc. And, I'm often *going* to bed
just about the time she is crawling *out* of bed! Keeping our
own rooms ("domains") makes things a lot easier and pleasant for both
of us! :

Don't disregard them and think you will
be far apart. You put them next to each other and it is just like a king bed
where you can cuddle together all night.

If you like to read or watch TV in bed consider one of the adjustable beds as
if is as comfortable as sitting in a recliner

*If* I make it *into* the bed before falling asleep, about the only thing
I've got energy left to do is fall asleep. : Hopefully, I've not left
a pot of water boiling on the stove, back door unlocked, lights on in
the house, etc. before doing so! :
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 11:44:58 AM UTC-6, SBH wrote:
On 12/31/2015 11:48 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 9:32:37 AM UTC-6, CRNG wrote:
On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 05:25:15 -0000 (UTC), "E. Robinson"
wrote in

Heavy blankets on top?

That's correct.
--

I read something about the heavy blankets giving you the feeling of being back in the womb which helps you relax. I like a blanket with a little weight unless it's too hot in the bedroom. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Blanket Monster

Boys spend 9 months in the womb and the rest of their lives trying to
get back in it.

They always get stopped at the door and can't even open it a crack without the proper key. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Outdoor Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2015 4:14 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

How long have you been married? 30 year maybe?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

If a man speaks in the woods and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

GF says he is still wrong, men can not be right........

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 19:28:10 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

If a man speaks in the woods and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

GF says he is still wrong, men can not be right........

Bet me. Let her out to pee on a red dirt road, wait for the squat
sounds and drive away suddenly.. They get their mind right, real fast.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2015 8:14 PM, Muggles wrote:

How long have you been married? 30 year maybe?

Who said I was married?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2016 1:20 AM, Don Y wrote:
On 12/31/2015 8:14 PM, Muggles wrote:

How long have you been married? 30 year maybe?

Who said I was married?

You've mentioned SWMBO many times. As far as I know that refers to a
wife, and it's logical to conclude that it couldn't be just a girl
friend because what man in his right mind would go to such great lengths
as to "obey" a girlfriend?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2016 8:11 AM, Muggles wrote:
On 1/1/2016 1:20 AM, Don Y wrote:
On 12/31/2015 8:14 PM, Muggles wrote:

How long have you been married? 30 year maybe?

Who said I was married?

You've mentioned SWMBO many times. As far as I know that refers to a
wife, and it's logical to conclude that it couldn't be just a girl
friend because what man in his right mind would go to such great lengths
as to "obey" a girlfriend?

The 'O' in SWMBO is a tongue-in-cheek reference.
You don't really think we feel like "she" MUST be "obeyed",
do you?

Silly girl... :

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2016 1:20 AM, Don Y wrote:
On 12/31/2015 8:14 PM, Muggles wrote:

How long have you been married? 30 year maybe?

Who said I was married?

You've mentioned SWMBO many times. As far as I know that refers to a
wife, and it's logical to conclude that it couldn't be just a girl
friend because what man in his right mind would go to such great lengths
as to "obey" a girlfriend?

The 'O' in SWMBO is a tongue-in-cheek reference.
You don't really think we feel like "she" MUST be "obeyed",
do you?

Silly girl... :

It may be tongue-in-cheek, but there's probably more elements of fact to
the statement than most men will EVER admit to.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2016 1:20 AM, Don Y wrote:
On 12/31/2015 8:14 PM, Muggles wrote:

How long have you been married? 30 year maybe?

Who said I was married?

You've mentioned SWMBO many times. As far as I know that refers to a
wife, and it's logical to conclude that it couldn't be just a girl
friend because what man in his right mind would go to such great lengths
as to "obey" a girlfriend?

The 'O' in SWMBO is a tongue-in-cheek reference.
You don't really think we feel like "she" MUST be "obeyed",
do you?

Silly girl... :

It may be tongue-in-cheek, but there's probably more elements of fact to
the statement than most men will EVER admit to.

And, the same DOESN'T apply to women??

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 1, 2016 at 10:11:42 AM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
On 1/1/2016 1:20 AM, Don Y wrote:
On 12/31/2015 8:14 PM, Muggles wrote:

How long have you been married? 30 year maybe?

Who said I was married?

You've mentioned SWMBO many times. As far as I know that refers to a
wife, and it's logical to conclude that it couldn't be just a girl
friend because what man in his right mind would go to such great lengths
as to "obey" a girlfriend?

--
Maggie

My wife is my girlfriend.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2016 1:20 AM, Don Y wrote:
On 12/31/2015 8:14 PM, Muggles wrote:

How long have you been married? 30 year maybe?

Who said I was married?

You've mentioned SWMBO many times. As far as I know that refers to a
wife, and it's logical to conclude that it couldn't be just a girl
friend because what man in his right mind would go to such great
lengths
as to "obey" a girlfriend?

The 'O' in SWMBO is a tongue-in-cheek reference.
You don't really think we feel like "she" MUST be "obeyed",
do you?

Silly girl... :

It may be tongue-in-cheek, but there's probably more elements of fact to
the statement than most men will EVER admit to.

And, the same DOESN'T apply to women??

I've never seen "HWMBO" (HE who must be obeyed).

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2016 1:20 AM, Don Y wrote:
On 12/31/2015 8:14 PM, Muggles wrote:

How long have you been married? 30 year maybe?

Who said I was married?

You've mentioned SWMBO many times. As far as I know that refers to a
wife, and it's logical to conclude that it couldn't be just a girl
friend because what man in his right mind would go to such great lengths
as to "obey" a girlfriend?

My wife is my girlfriend.

You must be a real romantic!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2016 1:20 AM, Don Y wrote:
On 12/31/2015 8:14 PM, Muggles wrote:

How long have you been married? 30 year maybe?

Who said I was married?

You've mentioned SWMBO many times. As far as I know that refers to a
wife, and it's logical to conclude that it couldn't be just a girl
friend because what man in his right mind would go to such great
lengths
as to "obey" a girlfriend?

The 'O' in SWMBO is a tongue-in-cheek reference.
You don't really think we feel like "she" MUST be "obeyed",
do you?

Silly girl... :

It may be tongue-in-cheek, but there's probably more elements of fact to
the statement than most men will EVER admit to.

And, the same DOESN'T apply to women??

I've never seen "HWMBO" (HE who must be obeyed).

Because every woman alrady *knows* that?? :