Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Store Christmas windows

When I was a little kid, back in the late 30s and early 40s in Chicago, my
parents would take me downtown to the Loop shopping district and we'd look
at all the extra-carefully elaborately decorated fascinating store windows.
A high point in my Christmas season!

Now, in these days of shopping malls and the like, I wonder if any stores
in any cities still do this? And if they do, if families still go to see
them? There is nothing like this in my small city.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/14/2015 11:20 AM, KenK wrote:
When I was a little kid, back in the late 30s and early 40s in Chicago, my
parents would take me downtown to the Loop shopping district and we'd look
at all the extra-carefully elaborately decorated fascinating store windows.
A high point in my Christmas season!

Now, in these days of shopping malls and the like, I wonder if any stores
in any cities still do this? And if they do, if families still go to see
them? There is nothing like this in my small city.

We used to do the same thing in the 50's Always looked forward to it.
Sure was cold and windy in Chicago though. Memories!!!!!

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 11:20:07 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
When I was a little kid, back in the late 30s and early 40s in Chicago, my
parents would take me downtown to the Loop shopping district and we'd look
at all the extra-carefully elaborately decorated fascinating store windows.
A high point in my Christmas season!

Now, in these days of shopping malls and the like, I wonder if any stores
in any cities still do this? And if they do, if families still go to see
them? There is nothing like this in my small city.

Just do a Google Image search for 2015 Holiday Windows and browse to your
heart's content.

For me, it was the annual trip to Radio City Music Hall for the Christmas
Spectacular featuring The Rockettes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glwWEdxGgjs

Man, there were a lot of legs!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 14 Dec 2015 16:20:00 GMT, KenK wrote:

Now, in these days of shopping malls and the like, I wonder if any stores
in any cities still do this? And if they do, if families still go to see
them? There is nothing like this in my small city.

They sure do in Manhattan. Especially the department stores.

Here's an article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/29/fa...y-windows.html

This lists the major ones:
http://www.nyctrip.com/Pages/index.aspx?PageID=1380

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/14/2015 11:20 AM, KenK wrote:
When I was a little kid, back in the late 30s and early 40s in Chicago, my
parents would take me downtown to the Loop shopping district and we'd look
at all the extra-carefully elaborately decorated fascinating store windows.
A high point in my Christmas season!

Now, in these days of shopping malls and the like, I wonder if any stores
in any cities still do this? And if they do, if families still go to see
them? There is nothing like this in my small city.

Nothing in our town, but few retailers left.

When I lived in a middle class section of Philadelphia, there were a
couple of main streets were lined with retailers. They would decorate
for Halloween, Christmas and major holidays. That stopped in the late
60's or so when the malls became popular..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/14/2015 02:09 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
For me, it was the annual trip to Radio City Music Hall for the Christmas
Spectacular featuring The Rockettes.

Yup, though I remember almost succumbing to exposure waiting in line to
get in one year.

"Wintertime in New York town
The wind blowing snow around
Walk around with nowhere to go
Somebody could freeze right to the bone
I froze right to the bone
New York Times said it was the coldest winter in seventeen years
I didn’t feel so cold then"

'Talkin' New York' Bob Dylan

The best part was the street vendors with the roasted chestnuts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/14/2015 05:41 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
They sure do in Manhattan. Especially the department stores.

They ain't no department stores in Manhattan (Montana)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 19:32:25 -0700, rbowman wrote:

The best part was the street vendors with the roasted chestnuts.

Has anyone on here actually ever eaten roasted chestnuts? I never have!
Never seen them in the stores.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/14/2015 7:32 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/14/2015 02:09 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
For me, it was the annual trip to Radio City Music Hall for the Christmas
Spectacular featuring The Rockettes.

Yup, though I remember almost succumbing to exposure waiting in line to get in
one year.

"Wintertime in New York town
The wind blowing snow around
Walk around with nowhere to go
Somebody could freeze right to the bone
I froze right to the bone
New York Times said it was the coldest winter in seventeen years
I didn’t feel so cold then"

'Talkin' New York' Bob Dylan

The best part was the street vendors with the roasted chestnuts.

And the hands that didn't look like they'd seen water -- OR SOAP -- in
millennia!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 9:50:26 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 19:32:25 -0700, rbowman wrote:

The best part was the street vendors with the roasted chestnuts.

Has anyone on here actually ever eaten roasted chestnuts? I never have!
Never seen them in the stores.

On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 9:50:26 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 19:32:25 -0700, rbowman wrote:

The best part was the street vendors with the roasted chestnuts.

Has anyone on here actually ever eaten roasted chestnuts? I never have!
Never seen them in the stores.

Yes. Hundreds of times.

AFAIK they don't sell *roasted* chestnuts in the stores. You buy raw chestnuts and roast them yourself.

http://startcooking.com/how-to-roast-chestnuts

We'll be doing that at Grandma's house next week.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 15, 2015 at 5:21:24 AM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 9:50:26 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 19:32:25 -0700, rbowman wrote:

The best part was the street vendors with the roasted chestnuts.

Has anyone on here actually ever eaten roasted chestnuts? I never have!
Never seen them in the stores.

On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 9:50:26 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 19:32:25 -0700, rbowman wrote:

The best part was the street vendors with the roasted chestnuts.

Has anyone on here actually ever eaten roasted chestnuts? I never have!
Never seen them in the stores.

Yes. Hundreds of times.

AFAIK they don't sell *roasted* chestnuts in the stores. You buy raw chestnuts and roast them yourself.

http://startcooking.com/how-to-roast-chestnuts

We'll be doing that at Grandma's house next week.

Just about every guy has fallen the wrong way and wound up with chest nuts. \(^o^)/

[8~{} Uncle Nutty Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/14/2015 09:13 PM, Don Y wrote:
And the hands that didn't look like they'd seen water -- OR SOAP -- in
millennia!

In that era if somebody put on little plastic gloves to handle your food
you'd think they were some sort of nut. Maybe I've been lucky but I've
eaten street food in Mexico, including raw clam cocktails, without bad
effects.

A couple of times I've eaten meals at restaurants that have had
purgative effects within the hour. That really made me wonder about what
they fed me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2015 04:21 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
AFAIK they don't sell*roasted* chestnuts in the stores. You buy raw chestnuts and roast them yourself.

http://startcooking.com/how-to-roast-chestnuts

I've always used the boiling method at home and skipped the roasting part.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2015 9:21 AM, rbowman wrote:
A couple of times I've eaten meals at restaurants that have had
purgative effects within the hour. That really made me wonder about what
they fed me.

I thought Mexico was pretty near purgatory?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 15, 2015 at 9:19:45 AM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 12/14/2015 09:13 PM, Don Y wrote:
And the hands that didn't look like they'd seen water -- OR SOAP -- in
millennia!

In that era if somebody put on little plastic gloves to handle your food
you'd think they were some sort of nut. Maybe I've been lucky but I've
eaten street food in Mexico, including raw clam cocktails, without bad
effects.

I couldn't possibly come close to estimating the hundreds upon
hundreds of dirty water dogs I ate while growing up in NYC.

With mustard and that fabulous red onion sauce, of course.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2015 7:21 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/14/2015 09:13 PM, Don Y wrote:
And the hands that didn't look like they'd seen water -- OR SOAP -- in
millennia!

In that era if somebody put on little plastic gloves to handle your food you'd
think they were some sort of nut. Maybe I've been lucky but I've eaten street
food in Mexico, including raw clam cocktails, without bad effects.

What do you mean, "in THAT era" (emphasis mine)? Their hands *still*
haven't seen any water!! :

[their (same guys! : ) pretzels and mustard are pretty good, too!]

A couple of times I've eaten meals at restaurants that have had purgative
effects within the hour. That really made me wonder about what they fed me.

Thankfully, only once had (suspected) food poisoning -- from a "frozen
food" bought in bulk (I suspect somewhere along the line they let it
thaw and refreeze).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 17:49:57 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Tuesday, December 15, 2015 at 9:19:45 AM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 12/14/2015 09:13 PM, Don Y wrote:
And the hands that didn't look like they'd seen water -- OR SOAP -- in
millennia!

In that era if somebody put on little plastic gloves to handle your food
you'd think they were some sort of nut. Maybe I've been lucky but I've
eaten street food in Mexico, including raw clam cocktails, without bad
effects.

I couldn't possibly come close to estimating the hundreds upon
hundreds of dirty water dogs I ate while growing up in NYC.

With mustard and that fabulous red onion sauce, of course.

Usually they are good about keeping the water hot enough to kill the
germs. Anyone who lived there a while understand a street hot dog is
good food but New York is a great place for all sorts of "fast" food
that is not anything like that crap we call "fast food".
You can grab a slice of real pizza on the go and there is a deli on
every block with all sorts of sandwiches they bang out in a minute.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2015 10:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/15/2015 9:21 AM, rbowman wrote:
A couple of times I've eaten meals at restaurants that have had
purgative effects within the hour. That really made me wonder about what
they fed me.

I thought Mexico was pretty near purgatory?

http://www.pri.org/stories/2012-10-2...-growing-group

http://www.chron.com/life/houston-be...cs-1694354.php

I keep telling you. stop picking on the the fastest growing LDS segment.
I particularly like the second link. Four men in white shirts and ties
quadruple teaming a ten year old Meskin.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2015 06:50 PM, Don Y wrote:
Thankfully, only once had (suspected) food poisoning -- from a "frozen
food" bought in bulk (I suspect somewhere along the line they let it
thaw and refreeze).

During my very educational career in trucking I delivered a load of dry
beans to a well known manufacturer of canned chili in Oregon. As they
were unloading the truck I got the sad story from the driver of the
truck in the bay next to mine. It was a reefer and he'd been hauling a
load of frozen chicken. The reefer had broken down and by the time it
was fixed the chickens well well on the way to being defrosted and the
original consignee refused the load. Making the best of a bad deal he
sold the load to the chili plant for pennies on the dollar.

Never did buy that brand again...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2015 06:49 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I couldn't possibly come close to estimating the hundreds upon
hundreds of dirty water dogs I ate while growing up in NYC.

With mustard and that fabulous red onion sauce, of course.

I grew up in upstate and one of the treats was Hot Dog Charlie's dogs.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationP..._New_York.html

http://tinyurl.com/zq5y6zr

Part of the atmosphere was Charlie lining up a dozen dogs on his sweaty,
hairy arm to ladle on the mustard, onions, and sauce. They were 10 cents
apiece and you got bragging rights if you could eat 5 bucks worth
without staggering out to the alley to barf.

They were good! The meat sauce was some sort of Greek/Armenian recipe
that may have involved stray cats. I've never tasted anything quite like
it anywhere else. It was nothing like the standard chili dog sauce.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Gloria's Pizza, Flushing, NY: Slice and a coke - 40 cents

During the 70's there was chain of Blarney Stone Pubs across Manhattan. People from
all walks of life went there for great Irish lunches and maybe a beer or two. Police,
firemen, construction workers, stock brokers, small business owners, lawyers, etc.

There used to be at least 30 of them, now I believe there is only 1 left. I'll bet it's not
as laid back a place as the rest of them were back then.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 15, 2015 at 9:30:27 PM UTC-6, rbowman wrote:
On 12/15/2015 06:50 PM, Don Y wrote:
Thankfully, only once had (suspected) food poisoning -- from a "frozen
food" bought in bulk (I suspect somewhere along the line they let it
thaw and refreeze).

During my very educational career in trucking I delivered a load of dry
beans to a well known manufacturer of canned chili in Oregon. As they
were unloading the truck I got the sad story from the driver of the
truck in the bay next to mine. It was a reefer and he'd been hauling a
load of frozen chicken. The reefer had broken down and by the time it
was fixed the chickens well well on the way to being defrosted and the
original consignee refused the load. Making the best of a bad deal he
sold the load to the chili plant for pennies on the dollar.

Never did buy that brand again...

I became very ill last Friday from what I consider to be food poisoning. I quit drinking the milk I was being given at mealtime because my stomach was still a little unsettled. My roommate asked for the milk on my tray so I'd been giving it to him for a day. Last night he had projectile vomiting just like I did. He's a complete invalid and his bed had been adjusted so he was flat on his back when he started barfing. I happened to be in my wheelchair so I quickly rolled out into the hallway to catch a pair of CNA's to come help him. Dang! He could have drowned in his own puke. He had more than one episode later in the day so I called for help again. I suspect the milk and will pay a visit to the administrator tomorrow to let her know what I suspect. The milk didn't smell spoiled but it could still be bad. I'm strong enough to get over food poisoning but there are some folks here at the center who are a lot weaker than I am and I fear food poisoning could kill them. Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle Barf Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2015 10:27 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/15/2015 10:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I thought Mexico was pretty near purgatory?

http://www.pri.org/stories/2012-10-2...-growing-group

http://www.chron.com/life/houston-be...cs-1694354.php

I keep telling you. stop picking on the the fastest growing LDS segment.
I particularly like the second link. Four men in white shirts and ties
quadruple teaming a ten year old Meskin.

Neat links, thanks. As to the second article, I was
expecting a basketball and a couple hoops. Ah,
well. Chatting with people is good, too.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

in downtown pittsburgh kaufmanns sold out to macys, this fall the macys store closed forever. the owner of the building is decorating the windows, possibly for the last time.

it was a big thing when i was a child. near 60 now not so important
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/17/2015 12:48 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Neat links, thanks. As to the second article, I was
expecting a basketball and a couple hoops. Ah,
well. Chatting with people is good, too.

Wrong demographic. You need football for that target population and not
the kind with pointy ends.

Other than Gladys Knight the LDS church never did too well with US
blacks. It works better in Africa when the you don't tell the potential
converts that polygamy is out these days.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/17/2015 06:23 AM, bob haller wrote:
in downtown pittsburgh kaufmanns sold out to macys, this fall the macys store closed forever. the owner of the building is decorating the windows, possibly for the last time.

Macy's bought the failing Bon Marche here but didn't last too long.
Despite several schemes the building has stood vacant for the last 5
years. It's too bad since the building is on the downtown main drag and
not off in the mall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Mormon message sending

On 12/17/2015 9:53 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/17/2015 12:48 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Neat links, thanks. As to the second article, I was
expecting a basketball and a couple hoops. Ah,
well. Chatting with people is good, too.

Wrong demographic. You need football for that target population and not
the kind with pointy ends.

Other than Gladys Knight the LDS church never did too well with US
blacks. It works better in Africa when the you don't tell the potential
converts that polygamy is out these days.

Non pointy ended football? That seems
kind of black and white, to me. But,
that's your kick, enroute to your goal.

I'm not sure about the demographics. After
working in the clerk office for ten years,
I've never seen any racial record keeping
at least in the ward or branch office. Maybe
someone does some kind of demographic, to
try and figure out percent Black, Asian, etc.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/17/2015 08:42 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'm not sure about the demographics. After
working in the clerk office for ten years,
I've never seen any racial record keeping
at least in the ward or branch office. Maybe
someone does some kind of demographic, to
try and figure out percent Black, Asian, etc.

--
.

http://eom.byu.edu/index.php/Vital_Statistics

RACE-ETHNICITY. Ethnic minorities are underrepresented in many LDS
congregations. In the United States, where about 77 percent of the
population were non-Hispanic whites in 1980, 95 percent of the LDS
population were non-Hispanic whites. About 12 percent of the U.S.
population and only 0.4 percent of the LDS population were black (see
Blacks). Hispanics and Asians constituted about 8 percent of the U.S.
population and less than 3 percent of the LDS population. American
Indians (see Native Americans) had a higher percentage in the LDS Church
(1.1 percent) than in the U.S. population (0.6 percent).

The spread of the Church in Asia, the South Pacific, and Africa signals
an increasingly diverse ethnic membership. Straight-line growth
projections discussed above suggest the possibility of a Hispanic
majority by 2010. In any event, international expansion implies a
decline in the dominance of white North Americans.

http://commons.trincoll.edu/aris/fil...ormons2008.pdf

The Trinity statistics do not substantially disagree with BYU's but I'd
take Trinity's as a bit more accurate when it comes to growth rates and
percent of the US population. Any organization tends to err on the high
side when it comes to membership and growth figures.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/17/2015 11:08 PM, rbowman wrote:
[...]

I figure the people who want to be LDS can and will.
Can't get at all concerned about ethnicity, and so on.
I'm not affirmative action.

But, anyhow. Thanks for looking up those stats and all.
I guess it is of concern to you?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2015 08:14 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
But, anyhow. Thanks for looking up those stats and all.
I guess it is of concern to you?

Only in general. Religions have always fascinated me. How are they
started? How do they grow? Why do people convert, particularly from one
flavor of X to another.

The LDS church is an interesting example. It's new (relatively speaking)
and introduced many theological novelties into a Christian framework.
Other experiments from that era didn't last but Mormonism prospered. The
growth patterns and demographics are well documented compared to the
early history of the Christian church.

For example, an early target group were the Scandinavians.

http://eom.byu.edu/index.php/Scandinavia,_the_Church_in

Why?

"Since 1852, many Scandinavian members have emigrated to the United
States. Particularly in the nineteenth century, poverty, starvation,
persecution, and hopelessness motivated people to seek a better life
and, for Latter-day Saints, the spirit of gathering to the "Promised
Land" in Utah was strong. There they could enjoy religious freedom and
practice their religion without ridicule or harassment."

It must have been pretty bleak that being dropped in Iowa City, building
a handcart, and hitting the road after being told 'Utah is that-a-way'
looked good.

Forward to today, perhaps the Hispanics are motivated by the same
problems. But why LDS? What's wrong with Catholicism, a more traditional
religion? Africa? Same conditions, but where are the Methodists etc?

US African-Americans? They don't seem interested and are more likely
to look toward Islam. Is that because of historical reasons?