Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default OT Store Christmas windows

On 12/14/2015 07:46 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 19:32:25 -0700, rbowman wrote:

The best part was the street vendors with the roasted chestnuts.

Has anyone on here actually ever eaten roasted chestnuts? I never have!
Never seen them in the stores.

Certainly. The street vendors used 55 gallon drums, would build a fire
in it, and roast them. I forget how much they were but it wasn't too
much and you'd get a brown paper bag fun of chestnuts.

all I've ever seen in the stores are raw chestnuts. I often get them but
I boil them rather than roast them. I think even if you roast them you
parboil them first. Cut an X in them before boiling so you can peel them.

The quality in the stores has been variable. Sometimes they will have
green mold when you peel them but you can't tell looking at them in the
shell.