Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.design

Default How Do Reindeer Fly?

The season is here to contemplate how reindeer fly. The article below
seems to make more sense than most I have read, but I actually thought
that since the middle of the 20th century, the reindeer flew based on
electronics, mechanics, hydraulics, computers, power cells, and other
modern marvels. What do you think?

This is a SERIOUS matter, for fun and the season....
Be creative!!!

----

From:
http://science-at-home.org/how-do-reindeer-fly/

How Do Reindeer Fly?

by Deb on December 13, 2010

There is a very good reason Santa lives at the North Pole – that is the
native habitat of the Flying Reindeer, Rangifer tarandus volaris.
Without these unique creatures Santa could not make it around the world
to deliver presents. While there are many flying animals who could help
Santa pull the sleigh, reindeer have the advantage that they are already
well adapted to extreme cold because they live in Arctic regions. This
allows them to fly very high and take advantage of the thinner
atmosphere to go quickly.
Lift

The Flying Reindeer have co-opted normal ruminant anatomy to achieve
lift. Ruminants like cows have four stomachs to help them break down
reindeergrass and especially cellulose. However, in areas where
reindeer live they have had to switch their diet because of the very
sparse vegetation. Much of Scandinavia was covered by glaciers in the
last ice age which scoured away the arable soil, leaving very old
crystalline rocks. These rocks support lichen, the main diet of the
reindeer. The lichen is also breaking down the rocks, which contain
many mineral deposits including iron, copper, nickel, zinc, silver and
gold, and the reindeer eat large amounts of metals along with their
normal food. Metals react with acid, including stomach acid, to produce
hydrogen gas, and when they want to fly the Flying Reindeer collect and
store this gas in another of their stomachs which is able to greatly
enlarge. Hydrogen is of course lighter than air, and allows the
reindeer to lift in the same way as Zeppelins did.
Movement

Once in the air, the reindeer need to move forward. They do this by
taking advantage of a cold weather adaptation, their thick fur coat.
The Flying Reindeer have developed the coat on their legs to be
extremely thick and long, with dense matted inner fur and long smooth
guard hairs as an outer layer. This configuration allows their legs to
act as oars or paddles and they can ‘row’ through the air.
lichenLight

The Flying Reindeer has another advantage for Santa, although
technically it is not the reindeer but their food. Many of the lichens
the reindeer eat are phosphorescent, which means they glow in the dark.
In winter reindeer find their food by using their noses to push aside
the snow covering the lichens. This means they are rubbing their noses
across the lichen and many small glowing particles get stuck to their
nose and muzzle. The effect looks as if their nose is glowing and
allows them to see at night.

So now at Christmas you will be able to keep a lookout for Santa and his
Flying Reindeer, carrying him quickly and safely around the world, and
know how they are doing it.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.design

From:
http://science-at-home.org/how-do-reindeer-fly/

How Do Reindeer Fly?

Reindeer fly because **I** will them to fly. 'nuff said.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 15:51:32 -0600, Paintedcow wrote:

This is a SERIOUS matter, for fun and the season....
Be creative!!!

(...) Metals react with acid, including stomach acid, to produce
hydrogen gas, and when they want to fly the Flying Reindeer collect and
store this gas in another of their stomachs which is able to greatly
enlarge.

At this moment in the article, I was *sure* there would be an explanation
about the evolutionarily advanced rocket propulsion system of the Flying
Reindeer. Turns out, they just float.
Posted to alt.home.repair

From:
[...]

I always assumed it was reindeer farts and LOX that powered them at high speed. ヽ(€’€Ώ€’)γƒŽ

[8~{} Uncle Fart Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 14:47:15 -0800, "taxed and spent"
Gave us:

.. .

From:
http://science-at-home.org/how-do-reindeer-fly/

How Do Reindeer Fly?

Reindeer fly because **I** will them to fly. 'nuff said.

So, by your nym, you are also now 'flaccid'.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 23:09:40 +0000 (UTC), Aleksandar Kuktin
wrote:

On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 15:51:32 -0600, Paintedcow wrote:

This is a SERIOUS matter, for fun and the season....
Be creative!!!

(...) Metals react with acid, including stomach acid, to produce
hydrogen gas, and when they want to fly the Flying Reindeer collect and
store this gas in another of their stomachs which is able to greatly
enlarge.

At this moment in the article, I was *sure* there would be an explanation
about the evolutionarily advanced rocket propulsion system of the Flying
Reindeer. Turns out, they just float.

I wouldn't think they could move fast enough just paddling their legs...
After all, they have to stop at every house on Earth in 24 hours. That's
a lot of miles and stopping time too. I also think they have a powerful
rocket engine in use, and also have some sort of GPS locator as well as
an elevator powered with hydraulic cylinders which allows Santa to
quickly drop down a chimney, deposit the toys, grab some cookies and get
on to the next location.

On top of this, there has to be a computer which has an extensive
database listing the names for each home and all the children who live
there, which quickly identifies what presents go to which home, based on
some sort of alpha-numeric code. Then the computer highlights each and
every present with red and green LED lights, so Santa can quickly
grab-and-go.

Additionally, they have to conserve energy to keep going, so I'd suspect
that Rudloph's nose is LED powered, has a reflector, and uses a powerful
red laser light to see ahead of them, when they encounter areas of fog
and clouds. I'm still wondering what type of batteries are in use, and
whether they have some sort of online generator which is wind powered as
they propell thru the air. Obviously they cant use a solar charger,
although they may have developed some sort of lunar charging cells.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 12/12/2015 02:51 PM, wrote:
The season is here to contemplate how reindeer fly. The article below
seems to make more sense than most I have read, but I actually thought
that since the middle of the 20th century, the reindeer flew based on
electronics, mechanics, hydraulics, computers, power cells, and other
modern marvels. What do you think?

I have no experience with reindeer but I can attest when you nail a
whitetail center mass with a Kenworth doing 65 mph, it flies.

I read that and was thinking is it a Kenworth rifle? Bow? Special hunting
round? I never heard of any such products. Then when I saw 65mph and
remembered you drive some long haul routes I realized it was Kenworth, the
truck.

My MIL was driving in NJ when a deer leapt out from the side of the road,
tried to jump over her car and put an hoof through the sunroof about 6" from
her head. Low flying reindeer trying to evade radar I guess. (-: Scared
the bejesus out of her.

I hit one on the Pacific Coast Highway near Big Sur in a rented Jaguar.
When the tow truck operator arrived two hours later, he berated me for not
having hoisted the deer up and dressed it. I told him I left my buck knife
and deer hoist in my other suit. He told me a lot of people hit deer on
that highway and then take a rough ride down to the Pacific Ocean when they
lose control of the car. It was pretty odd because I was the only car
around when the deer burst out of the underbrush and right in front of the
car. Must have been a kamikaze. Never had time to even hit the brakes.
Learned that the chrome grille of the new Jags is just chromed plastic and
shatters like glass.

The Budget rent-a-Jaguar people were very nice about it because I had paid
the exhorbitant damage insurance fee ($12 a day). I had to settle for a
replacement Mustang convertible and learned what happens when you drive up
the California coast for three hours on a sunny day in a convertible with
your arm out the window. The worst sunburn I ever got on my left arm. Got a
pretty fair burn on my scalp, too. The real insult is that that it wasn't
really warm enough to drive with the top down but I had a new convertible,
damn it, and I was going to take advantage of it.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.design

From:
[...]

Dunno about the hydrogen - metals reacting with stomach acid will evolve
hydrogen but leave behind metallic chlorides, some of which are very toxic.

More likely they're using methane to power a lifting rocket.

Sylvia.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2015 09:17 PM, Robert Green wrote:
It was pretty odd because I was the only car
around when the deer burst out of the underbrush and right in front of the
car. Must have been a kamikaze.

They're suicidal. The one I hit was on I94 near Miles City, MT. Eastern
Montana can be summed up by 'ain't nothing there'. Except the deer. I
saw him crossing the eastbound lanes and when he got to the median strip
I thought it was just another deer crossing the road. His timing was
perfect; he turned around and threw himself in front of the truck. I
didn't even have time to react.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2015 12:23 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/12/2015 09:17 PM, Robert Green wrote:
It was pretty odd because I was the only car
around when the deer burst out of the underbrush and right in front of
the
car. Must have been a kamikaze.

They're suicidal. The one I hit was on I94 near Miles City, MT. Eastern
Montana can be summed up by 'ain't nothing there'. Except the deer. I
saw him crossing the eastbound lanes and when he got to the median strip
I thought it was just another deer crossing the road. His timing was
perfect; he turned around and threw himself in front of the truck. I
didn't even have time to react.

I bet a few choice words flew out of your mouth, tho!

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 12/12/2015 09:17 PM, Robert Green wrote:
It was pretty odd because I was the only car
around when the deer burst out of the underbrush and right in front of

the
car. Must have been a kamikaze.

They're suicidal. The one I hit was on I94 near Miles City, MT. Eastern
Montana can be summed up by 'ain't nothing there'. Except the deer. I
saw him crossing the eastbound lanes and when he got to the median strip
I thought it was just another deer crossing the road. His timing was
perfect; he turned around and threw himself in front of the truck. I
didn't even have time to react.

Stories like yours and mine make me wonder whether the deer are rutting and
think they're going to butt heads with this strange shiny creature invading
their territory. There are just too many tales of "it came out of nowhere
and smashed right into me!"

Of course, sheer stupidity could be the answer but they do seem to pick
their targets. Mine was on me so fast I didn't even have time to utter "Oh
shi+!" to myself.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Baked beans.

LOTS of BAKED BEANS.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.design

From:
http://science-at-home.org/how-do-reindeer-fly/

How Do Reindeer Fly?

And along with that "Yes, Virginia, there is
a Santa Claus".

From: Newseum

http://tinyurl.com/pr66qxc

HERE IS A SANTA CLAUS€
JOIN US DEC. 12, 2015, AT OUR 17TH ANNUAL €œYES, VIRGINIA€ FAMILY DAY
Eight-year-old Virginia OHanlon wrote a letter to the editor of New
Yorks Sun, and the quick response was printed as an unsigned editorial
Sept. 21, 1897. The work of veteran newsman Francis Pharcellus Church has
since become historys most reprinted newspaper editorial, appearing in
part or whole in dozens of languages in books, movies, and other
editorials, and on posters and stamps

PHOTO GALLERY

Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa Claus
Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa Claus
Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa Claus

THE EDITORIAL

DEAR EDITOR: I am 8 years old.
Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus.
Papa says, €˜If you see it in THE SUN its so.
Please tell me the truth; is there a Santa Claus?

VIRGINIA OHANLON.
115 WEST NINETY-FIFTH STREET.

VIRGINIA, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the
skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except they see. They
think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little
minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be mens or childrens, are
little. In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in
his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured
by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge..

Yes, VIRGINIA, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and
generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to
your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world
if there were no Santa Claus. It would be as dreary as if there were no
VIRGINIAS. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance
to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in
sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world
would be extinguished.

Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies! You
might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas
Eve to catch Santa Claus, but even if they did not see Santa Claus coming
down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign
that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those
that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on
the lawn? Of course not, but thats no proof that they are not there.
Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and
unseeable in the world.

You may tear apart the babys rattle and see what makes the noise inside,
but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man,
nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived,
could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance, can push aside
that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is
it all real? Ah, VIRGINIA, in all this world there is nothing else real
and abiding.

No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives, and he lives forever. A thousand
years from now, Virginia, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, he
will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.
SHARE

- See more at:
http://www.newseum.org/exhibits/onli....TTiqmeEF.dpuf

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2015 11:41 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 12/13/2015 12:23 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/12/2015 09:17 PM, Robert Green wrote:
It was pretty odd because I was the only car
around when the deer burst out of the underbrush and right in front of
the
car. Must have been a kamikaze.

They're suicidal. The one I hit was on I94 near Miles City, MT. Eastern
Montana can be summed up by 'ain't nothing there'. Except the deer. I
saw him crossing the eastbound lanes and when he got to the median strip
I thought it was just another deer crossing the road. His timing was
perfect; he turned around and threw himself in front of the truck. I
didn't even have time to react.

I bet a few choice words flew out of your mouth, tho!

"Sorry, Bambi." The Kenworth was old enough it had a real steel bumper.
The bumper got bent a bit but a come along and a light pole at the Miles
City truck stop got it pulled back from the tire.

The newer trucks, like the newer cars, are all plastic until you get to
the cab. They don't hold up too well in deer or elk encounters.

fwiw, the company put those deer whistles on all the trucks. In my
experience they are 100% ineffective.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2015 06:04 AM, Robert Green wrote:
Stories like yours and mine make me wonder whether the deer are rutting and
think they're going to butt heads with this strange shiny creature invading
their territory. There are just too many tales of "it came out of nowhere
and smashed right into me!"

Could be. It hasn't been a problem here yet but over in Helena (MT) the
urban deer started to get aggressive enough the cops started trapping
and eliminating them. Over here they're just picturesque. Last weekend I
took a walk around town for a change of pace. As I passed one house that
was half a block off one of the main drags I caught something from the
corner of my eye and thought it was a Christmas creche decoration. When
I looked, it was four deer laying there in the front yard chewing their
cuds and watching cars go by. This was just a regular house on a city
lot with a small yard, not a McMansion on five acres and was about three
eights of a mile from the open hillsides around town. There was enough
snow on the sidewalk that after I saw them I could see where the deer
were roaming around the whole neighborhood. A friend swears he was
driving up a busy four lane road and saw a deer stop on the sidewalk,
look both ways, and cross when it was safe. Maybe it's jsut their
country cousins that are stupid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2015 2:16 PM, rbowman wrote:
[...]

I often wonder if animals like that actually have a death wish.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 15:31:34 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

I often wonder if animals like that actually have a death wish.

--
Maggie

Some of them seem really stupid, but others seem quite smart. During our
recent hunting season, I never saw so many deer in town. It's just a
small local town, but people cant hunt in town and it seemed that the
smart deer took refuge there.

The High School football field was covered with deer one night when I
drove past it. There were so many deer, I parked the car to watch them.
Of course, I was waiting for one of them to make a touchdown

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, December 13, 2015 at 8:06:07 AM UTC-5, Robert Green wrote:
"rbowman" wrote in message
[...]

Two lane country road, just after sundown. I was doing about 50, towing a trailer. I saw the
buck come out of the woods on the left, maybe a quarter mile ahead and hit the brakes
as safely as I could, looking out for the doe. Yep, here she comes, I'm still OK. Anymore?
Yes! There's a young one. Braking harder now, keeping it straight, still OK...keep going kid,
keep going. Oh Crap!

Just as the babe was clear of my van and on the right hand shoulder, she decided to turn
around and go back. Anti-locks chattering, trailer pushing me forward. Caught her with the
driver's headlight. She had cleared the van once going left to right and almost cleared it
again going right to left. Almost.

I pulled over, went back, dragged her off of the road and collected some of the parts from
my van. My van was drivable, so I got back in, called 911 just to let them know what happened
and where. They took my info and I continued on my way. $2,500 worth of damage.

I wonder what mom and dad thought when they heard the noise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 12/13/2015 06:04 AM, Robert Green wrote:
stuff snipped

[...]

I guess they smarten up *some* living near urban environments, the operative
word being "some." Here near DC there are many, many animal rights
activists who fight any sensible attempts at deer control "hoof and claw."
My in-laws in NJ report much the same problem (that's where the sun-roof
deer attacked). I think the last do-gooder plan was to sterilize the
females with darts. Not sure where that one's sitting. I am hoping when
the populations reach scourge levels they'll finally get around to offing
them After all, we have some honor to preserve - it's taken us eons to
become the apex predators of the world. At least racoons respect that and
try to keep everything on the down-low. The local band comes by at 3AM
every trash day and if you've got something they want, they're getting it.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

stuff snipped

Two lane country road, just after sundown. I was doing about 50, towing a

trailer. I saw the
buck come out of the woods on the left, maybe a quarter mile ahead and hit

the brakes
as safely as I could, looking out for the doe. Yep, here she comes, I'm

still OK. Anymore?
Yes! There's a young one. Braking harder now, keeping it straight, still

OK...keep going kid,
keep going. Oh Crap!

Just as the babe was clear of my van and on the right hand shoulder, she

decided to turn
around and go back. Anti-locks chattering, trailer pushing me forward.

Caught her with the
driver's headlight. She had cleared the van once going left to right and

almost cleared it
again going right to left. Almost.

The suicide gene at work! I seriously wonder what she was thinking with the
danger already behind her to turn back? Fear of the open highway?

My van was drivable, so I got back in, called 911 just to let them know

what happened
and where. They took my info and I continued on my way. $2,500 worth of

damage.

Ouch! They can really rack up the bonus bucks on their way to Planet Deer
Heaven. Sunroof Deer cost almost as much. Your incident reminds me very
much of the time when I saw a recap break off a truck rim several hundred
yards ahead. I tracked it, watched it bounce - was sure to avoid it when
another car hit the tread shred two lanes away and rammed it right into me.

I guess the lesson is to just pull over and stop but all the racing driver
interviews I hear say it's better to steer out of trouble than brake out of
it. I think it really depends on the trouble. That deer family was out to
get you, I have no doubt!

I wonder if eventually deer will no longer be famous as being frozen in
headlights because all the deer that *did* freeze in headlights got hit and
failed to procreate? Surely you've enter a vote in the "don't turn around
suddenly" gene pool.

But the deer have earned that reputation. Unlike lemmings and the shock of
Disney's film makers faking the suicide deaths of all those little critters.
Methinks they got a bad rap. Not so with the deer. My FIL had a prized
garden ravished by deer who managed to get through the fencing and meshwork
to do their evil deeds. He hated them until the day he died for taking a
single bite out of every vegetable, ruining the entire crop.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Dec 2015 22:22:25 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

I wonder if eventually deer will no longer be famous as being frozen in
headlights because all the deer that *did* freeze in headlights got hit and
failed to procreate? Surely you've enter a vote in the "don't turn around
suddenly" gene pool.

The solution is to put night vision sunglasses on all deer, with a strap
behind their ears to make sure the sunglasses dont come off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I wonder if eventually deer will no longer be famous as being frozen in
headlights because all the deer that *did* freeze in headlights got hit and
failed to procreate? Surely you've enter a vote in the "don't turn around
suddenly" gene pool.

The solution is to put night vision sunglasses on all deer, with a strap
behind their ears to make sure the sunglasses dont come off.

Sunglasses?! Deer wear goggles you silly thing! ヽ(γƒ…)γƒŽ

[8~{} Uncle Dear Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.design

On a sunny day (Thu, 17 Dec 2015 05:50:55 -0600) it happened "Dean Hoffman"
wrote in :

On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 21:35:46 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 12/12/2015 02:51 PM, wrote:
The season is here to contemplate how reindeer fly. The article below
seems to make more sense than most I have read, but I actually thought
that since the middle of the 20th century, the reindeer flew based on
electronics, mechanics, hydraulics, computers, power cells, and other
modern marvels. What do you think?

Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcKBV-ZWbAY

Makes a nice Christmas present.

You could make a reindeer too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 17, 2015 at 11:43:14 AM UTC-6, krw wrote:

On 12/12/2015 02:51 PM, wrote:
The season is here to contemplate how reindeer fly. The article below
seems to make more sense than most I have read, but I actually thought
that since the middle of the 20th century, the reindeer flew based on
electronics, mechanics, hydraulics, computers, power cells, and other
modern marvels. What do you think?

I have no experience with reindeer but I can attest when you nail a
whitetail center mass with a Kenworth doing 65 mph, it flies.

I think the worst mess I've seen was a horse that got hit.
Parts and pieces were scattered for maybe a quarter mile if
I remember correctly. Deer seem to stay in one piece at least.
Hitting a bull would be quite a deal.

Moose are genetically perfected car killers. They have long spindly
legs that put their 1/2-3/4ton center of mass is right at windshield
height.

There are no free roaming moose here in Alabamastan but we're buried in deer. I must wonder if a moose is going to jump in front of a vehicle the same way a deer would? I imagine a moose would have to be galloping quite fast to cross a road and wind up in front of a car..... I just did a bit of research and discovered that moose are actually quite fast and unpredictable. A bull moose can weigh up to 1,600 lbs and stand 9 feet tall. Alaska and Maine have the largest moose populations and the animals are attracted to roadsides because of the salt used to deice roads and the tendency of new plant growth to pop up along roadsides in the Spring. Because of the dark color of their fur, moose can be very hard to see at night. There are pictures all over the Internet of moose/car collisions and both participants are totaled. I glad we don't have any of those huge critters around here! ヽ(€’€Ώ€’)γƒŽ

[8~{} Uncle Moose Monster