Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default How Do Reindeer Fly?

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 12/13/2015 06:04 AM, Robert Green wrote:
stuff snipped

It hasn't been a problem here yet but over in Helena (MT) the
urban deer started to get aggressive enough the cops started trapping
and eliminating them. Over here they're just picturesque. Last weekend I
took a walk around town for a change of pace. As I passed one house that
was half a block off one of the main drags I caught something from the
corner of my eye and thought it was a Christmas creche decoration. When
I looked, it was four deer laying there in the front yard chewing their
cuds and watching cars go by. This was just a regular house on a city
lot with a small yard, not a McMansion on five acres and was about -three
eights of a mile from the open hillsides around town. There was enough
snow on the sidewalk that after I saw them I could see where the deer
were roaming around the whole neighborhood. A friend swears he was
driving up a busy four lane road and saw a deer stop on the sidewalk,
look both ways, and cross when it was safe. Maybe it's jsut their
country cousins that are stupid.

I guess they smarten up *some* living near urban environments, the operative
word being "some." Here near DC there are many, many animal rights
activists who fight any sensible attempts at deer control "hoof and claw."
My in-laws in NJ report much the same problem (that's where the sun-roof
deer attacked). I think the last do-gooder plan was to sterilize the
females with darts. Not sure where that one's sitting. I am hoping when
the populations reach scourge levels they'll finally get around to offing
them After all, we have some honor to preserve - it's taken us eons to
become the apex predators of the world. At least racoons respect that and
try to keep everything on the down-low. The local band comes by at 3AM
every trash day and if you've got something they want, they're getting it.

--
Bobby G.