Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT/ Garage Sale Score!

$10 in better than "good" condition...no charger or battery. I took it to a hardware store to try it with a battery...so I know it is worth investing about $85 for a battery and charger on eBay! Wahoo!

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-...rdless/2610-20
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/25/2015 9:09 AM, bob_villain wrote:
$10 in better than "good" condition...no charger or battery. I took it to a hardware store to try it with a battery...so I know it is worth investing about $85 for a battery and charger on eBay! Wahoo!

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-...rdless/2610-20

Yep, you done good. That qualifies as a "You Suck!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 9:10:02 AM UTC-6, bob_villain wrote:
$10 in better than "good" condition...no charger or battery. I took it to a hardware store to try it with a battery...so I know it is worth investing about $85 for a battery and charger on eBay! Wahoo!

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-...rdless/2610-20

So, it cost me $115 total...eBay was $175 (for a kit) in poor condition for the same, with 2 old batteries.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee...1850/205794132
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 10:10:02 AM UTC-5, bob_villain wrote:
$10 in better than "good" condition...no charger or battery. I took it to a hardware store to try it with a battery...so I know it is worth investing about $85 for a battery and charger on eBay! Wahoo!

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-...rdless/2610-20

Investing $85 or spending $85?

While I agree that it's a great find and probably worth buying a battery and charger, what makes
the $85 an "investment"?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, November 26, 2015 at 6:49:18 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 10:10:02 AM UTC-5, bob_villain wrote:
$10 in better than "good" condition...no charger or battery. I took it to a hardware store to try it with a battery...so I know it is worth investing about $85 for a battery and charger on eBay! Wahoo!

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-...rdless/2610-20

Investing $85 or spending $85?

While I agree that it's a great find and probably worth buying a battery and charger, what makes
the $85 an "investment"?

Funny thing to ask...1)a bare tool doesn't have much value; 2) a good tool *is* an investment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, November 26, 2015 at 8:00:38 PM UTC-5, bob_villain wrote:
On Thursday, November 26, 2015 at 6:49:18 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 10:10:02 AM UTC-5, bob_villain wrote:
$10 in better than "good" condition...no charger or battery. I took it to a hardware store to try it with a battery...so I know it is worth investing about $85 for a battery and charger on eBay! Wahoo!

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-...rdless/2610-20

Investing $85 or spending $85?

While I agree that it's a great find and probably worth buying a battery and charger, what makes
the $85 an "investment"?

Funny thing to ask...1)a bare tool doesn't have much value; 2) a good tool *is* an investment.

What do you expect to be the return on your investment?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, November 26, 2015 at 7:32:26 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, November 26, 2015 at 8:00:38 PM UTC-5, bob_villain wrote:
On Thursday, November 26, 2015 at 6:49:18 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 10:10:02 AM UTC-5, bob_villain wrote:
$10 in better than "good" condition...no charger or battery. I took it to a hardware store to try it with a battery...so I know it is worth investing about $85 for a battery and charger on eBay! Wahoo!

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-...rdless/2610-20

Investing $85 or spending $85?

While I agree that it's a great find and probably worth buying a battery and charger, what makes
the $85 an "investment"?

Funny thing to ask...1)a bare tool doesn't have much value; 2) a good tool *is* an investment.

What do you expect to be the return on your investment?

Already stated...are you a lawyer, or just being a dick? (pretty much the same)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 21:06:40 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Most definitions of an "investment" typically read something like this:

"An asset or item that is purchased with the hope that it will generate
income or appreciate in the future."

If I was being pedantic I would say the investment value was money you
did not have to spend to have a trade with that tool come in and use
it for you.
When I buy an expensive tool it is usually based on what it would cost
to have someone with it do something for me. In most cases, after one
or two uses, the tool pays for itself and covers a reasonable price
for my labor.

One example is the $100 (or less) computer disk and cable for a new
outboard. You will spend more than that for one trip to the dealer to
have your ECU logged out and you can do it wherever your boat is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Most definitions of an "investment" typically read something like this:

"An asset or item that is purchased with the hope that it will generate
income or appreciate in the future."

If I was being pedantic I would say the investment value was money you
did not have to spend to have a trade with that tool come in and use
it for you.
When I buy an expensive tool it is usually based on what it would cost
to have someone with it do something for me. In most cases, after one
or two uses, the tool pays for itself and covers a reasonable price
for my labor.

One example is the $100 (or less) computer disk and cable for a new
outboard. You will spend more than that for one trip to the dealer to
have your ECU logged out and you can do it wherever your boat is.

I hear what you are saying, but saving money is not really the same thing
as investing. There is no increase in monetary value of the object
purchased. It is not worth $100 before you use it then $200 afterwards.
Now, if someone pays you to have their ECU logged out, then it's an income
producing investment.

That kind of reminds me of a discussion in this group many years ago. A few
people were insisting that every time they mowed their own lawn or painted
they own house, they *earned* the amount they would have paid someone else
to do it. (I know you didn't use the word "earn" so this discussion is different)
I eventually pointed out to them that if they had zero dollars in the bank
before they mowed the lawn, and zero dollars in the bank after they mowed the
lawn, they must not have earned anything. They quietly went away. :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/27/2015 07:29 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
That kind of reminds me of a discussion in this group many years ago. A few
people were insisting that every time they mowed their own lawn or painted
they own house, they*earned* the amount they would have paid someone else
to do it. (I know you didn't use the word "earn" so this discussion is different)
I eventually pointed out to them that if they had zero dollars in the bank
before they mowed the lawn, and zero dollars in the bank after they mowed the
lawn, they must not have earned anything. They quietly went away.:-)

In our locality, all lawns must be cut/maintained below a certain height.
If you fail to keep your lawn cut, the local municipality will cut it for you (at charge of course).
Obviously, for me, mowing the lawn is not optional.

The municipality's mowing fee is roughly 150% above market rate and is the most expensive option.

The second option is to hire it done but that is expensive as well.
Keep in mind that when hiring a service, most people have to pay for the service with after-tax dollars.
In my case, I have to earn $100 pre-tax dollars to pay for a $75 mow-job.

The third and most economical option is to buy a mower and DIY.
Aside from the one-time purchase of the mower, DIY mowing is the cheapest option and is also good for your health.

So, for us wage-slave taxpayers, buying a lawn mowing tool is an investment that pays huge dividends every time we use it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 11:10:09 -0500
Bud Doobie wrote:

[...]

So the government runs all aspects of your life and
you happily spend money to keep the government happy.
That is the most pathetic thing I have read in weeks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

A penny saved is a penny earned
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Benny met a Genie who would grant him 3 wishes with the stipulation that
Benny could never shave his beard again. If he did, the Genie would stuff
him into a clay pot for the rest of eternity.

Benny agreed and became a very rich and happy man. However, after a few
years, he grew tired of the long beard. Since he hadn't heard from the
Genie in all that time, he figured he could get away with shaving it off.
As soon as he finished shaving - POOF - he found himself crammed inside
a clay pot.

The moral of the story:

A Benny shaved is a Benny urned.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 7:10:02 AM UTC-8, bob_villain wrote:
$10 in better than "good" condition...no charger or battery. I took it to a hardware store to try it with a battery...so I know it is worth investing about $85 for a battery and charger on eBay! Wahoo!

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-...rdless/2610-20

A widow down the street was cleaning out a shed with loads of "useless" tools n other junk.
Mostly drills, sanders, saws, w/o working batteries. Included in the trash was a Hitachi corded 1/2 drive I recovered.
Haven't needed it yet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/27/2015 05:13 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Your purchase certainly qualifies as a great deal, but since your intent is to keep it for
your own use, the $85 spent on the battery and charger is not really an investment.

If the $85 was spent to avoid future outlays of $170 to third party
services to charge batteries, is it an investment?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/27/2015 05:29 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I hear what you are saying, but saving money is not really the same thing
as investing. There is no increase in monetary value of the object
purchased. It is not worth $100 before you use it then $200 afterwards.
Now, if someone pays you to have their ECU logged out, then it's an income
producing investment.

So if a company, say Pfizer, pays a consultant millions to set up a tax
avoidance scheme that will maximize profit going forward, then it isn't
an investment?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, November 27, 2015 at 2:24:55 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 11/27/2015 05:13 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Your purchase certainly qualifies as a great deal, but since your intent is to keep it for
your own use, the $85 spent on the battery and charger is not really an investment.

If the $85 was spent to avoid future outlays of $170 to third party
services to charge batteries, is it an investment?

Not as I see it. A cost saving measure, yes, but an investment? I think not. The object
purchased (in this example) is not going to produce income or increase in value. Well,
I guess eventually it might become a collector's item or a museum piece, but that is not
why the battery and charger were purchased.

A Beanie Baby purchased for a kid to play with is a toy. A Beanie Baby purchased to be
stored in its original package to be sold later at (hopefully) a higher price is an investment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, November 27, 2015 at 2:28:10 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 11/27/2015 05:29 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I hear what you are saying, but saving money is not really the same thing
as investing. There is no increase in monetary value of the object
purchased. It is not worth $100 before you use it then $200 afterwards.
Now, if someone pays you to have their ECU logged out, then it's an income
producing investment.

So if a company, say Pfizer, pays a consultant millions to set up a tax
avoidance scheme that will maximize profit going forward, then it isn't
an investment?

As before, I'd call that a cost saving measure, not an investment. Now, if they
*bought* the consulting firm and the firm itself produced income, I'd call it an
investment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 13:16:26 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

A Beanie Baby purchased for a kid to play with is a toy. A Beanie Baby purchased to be
stored in its original package to be sold later at (hopefully) a higher price is an investment.

If you buy a $10 power tool, part it out and sell the parts for a
higher price, is that an investment?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, November 27, 2015 at 1:14:42 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 7:10:02 AM UTC-8, bob_villain wrote:
$10 in better than "good" condition...no charger or battery. I took it to a hardware store to try it with a battery...so I know it is worth investing about $85 for a battery and charger on eBay! Wahoo!

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-...rdless/2610-20

A widow down the street was cleaning out a shed with loads of "useless" tools n other junk.
Mostly drills, sanders, saws, w/o working batteries. Included in the trash was a Hitachi corded 1/2 drive I recovered.
Haven't needed it yet.

....and your point would be...leave it in the trash? Half inch drive or half inch chuck capacity?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A Beanie Baby purchased for a kid to play with is a toy. A Beanie Baby purchased to be
stored in its original package to be sold later at (hopefully) a higher price is an investment.

If you buy a $10 power tool, part it out and sell the parts for a
higher price, is that an investment?

Sure, but probably only if that was your original intent.

I sold a car to my mechanic for the price I could have gotten for scraping it. His intention
was to teach his son how to fix it up enough to be a winter beater. Once they got into it,
they found out it was too far gone - the frame was rusted out. He ended up parting it out
and made more than he paid for it. It turned out to be an "investment" but it didn't start
out that way, so I don't feel that it counts as one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bud Doobie wrote:

In our locality, all lawns must be cut/maintained below a certain
height. If you fail to keep your lawn cut, the local municipality
will cut it for you (at charge of course). Obviously, for me, mowing
the lawn is not optional.

The municipality's mowing fee is roughly 150% above market rate and
is the most expensive option.

So the government runs all aspects of your life and
you happily spend money to keep the government happy.
That is the most pathetic thing I have read in weeks.

Yeah, but in the USA we have freedom to do what
the government says. Unlike other countries where
they HAVE TO.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/27/2015 2:00 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Benny met a Genie who would grant him 3 wishes with the stipulation that
Benny could never shave his beard again. If he did, the Genie would stuff
him into a clay pot for the rest of eternity.

Benny agreed and became a very rich and happy man. However, after a few
years, he grew tired of the long beard. Since he hadn't heard from the
Genie in all that time, he figured he could get away with shaving it off.
As soon as he finished shaving - POOF - he found himself crammed inside
a clay pot.

The moral of the story:

A Benny shaved is a Benny urned.

I did forward that to some people who would
appreciate it. Thank you for brighten the days
of a couple of my friend. As with mine.

There was a young man who read usenet
Whose lights went off due to a fusenet
He said call the maker
And switch to a breaker
Sadly, I just ran out of rhymes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/27/2015 4:16 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

A Beanie Baby purchased for a kid to play with is a toy. A Beanie Baby purchased to be
stored in its original package to be sold later at (hopefully) a higher price is an investment.

The challenge is to figure out which will be
in demand, later. Makes me wonder which of all
the consumer goods I had, wore out, trashed.
Which of them would be worth millions, now to
a collector?

I attend very few garage sales. I could had a
big box of triple pole circuit breakers. Sold
em on Ebay. I passed up the purchase. Maybe to
my downfall.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A Beanie Baby purchased for a kid to play with is a toy. A Beanie Baby purchased to be
stored in its original package to be sold later at (hopefully) a higher price is an investment.

If you buy a $10 power tool, part it out and sell the parts for a
higher price, is that an investment?

Sure, but probably only if that was your original intent.

I sold a car to my mechanic for the price I could have gotten for scraping it. His intention
was to teach his son how to fix it up enough to be a winter beater. Once they got into it,
they found out it was too far gone - the frame was rusted out. He ended up parting it out
and made more than he paid for it. It turned out to be an "investment" but it didn't start
out that way, so I don't feel that it counts as one.

Had he not bought a piece of junk he would have had a better
investment? G
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/27/2015 03:17 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The challenge is to figure out which will be
in demand, later. Makes me wonder which of all
the consumer goods I had, wore out, trashed.
Which of them would be worth millions, now to
a collector?

That is a problem. I remember one classic car auction where one of the
items was a beautifully restored Corvair. At least that year you could
hardly give the thing away.

A contrary example is the current bubble in the Colt 'snake' revolvers.
Even then, it's only certain configurations of a Python, Diamondback, or
the others that brings the top buck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, November 27, 2015 at 1:45:57 PM UTC-8, bob_villain wrote:
On Friday, November 27, 2015 at 1:14:42 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 7:10:02 AM UTC-8, bob_villain wrote:
$10 in better than "good" condition...no charger or battery. I took it to a hardware store to try it with a battery...so I know it is worth investing about $85 for a battery and charger on eBay! Wahoo!

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-...rdless/2610-20

A widow down the street was cleaning out a shed with loads of "useless" tools n other junk.
Mostly drills, sanders, saws, w/o working batteries. Included in the trash was a Hitachi corded 1/2 drive I recovered.
Haven't needed it yet.

...and your point would be...leave it in the trash? Half inch drive or half inch chuck capacity?

1/2" (forgot the "):-(
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 28, 2015 at 9:28:04 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Friday, November 27, 2015 at 1:45:57 PM UTC-8, bob_villain wrote:
On Friday, November 27, 2015 at 1:14:42 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 7:10:02 AM UTC-8, bob_villain wrote:
$10 in better than "good" condition...no charger or battery. I took it to a hardware store to try it with a battery...so I know it is worth investing about $85 for a battery and charger on eBay! Wahoo!

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-...rdless/2610-20

A widow down the street was cleaning out a shed with loads of "useless" tools n other junk.
Mostly drills, sanders, saws, w/o working batteries. Included in the trash was a Hitachi corded 1/2 drive I recovered.
Haven't needed it yet.

...and your point would be...leave it in the trash? Half inch drive or half inch chuck capacity?

1/2" (forgot the "):-(

You missed the point...it's not clear if you had a drill or a socket driver?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 28, 2015 at 8:00:56 AM UTC-8, bob_villain wrote:
[...]

The OP was talking about his cordless drill "score"
I followed up concerning my own corded 1/2" drill find.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

wrote:

A Beanie Baby purchased for a kid to play with is a toy. A Beanie Baby purchased to be
stored in its original package to be sold later at (hopefully) a higher price is an investment.

If you buy a $10 power tool, part it out and sell the parts for a
higher price, is that an investment?

Sure, but probably only if that was your original intent.

I sold a car to my mechanic for the price I could have gotten for scraping it. His intention
was to teach his son how to fix it up enough to be a winter beater. Once they got into it,
they found out it was too far gone - the frame was rusted out. He ended up parting it out
and made more than he paid for it. It turned out to be an "investment" but it didn't start
out that way, so I don't feel that it counts as one.

I would question this mechanics knowledge of buying a car that has a bad
frame for his son...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 28, 2015 at 3:29:28 PM UTC-6, Tekkie® wrote:

I would question this mechanics knowledge of buying a car that has a bad
frame for his son...

Tekkie

There are a few yrs where Saturn's frames rusted badly...but looked perfectly fine until you got under the plastic!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I told him I was going to scrap the car. He offered me the same as I would have gotten for
scrap. He knew the car was rusting in certain places, like the core support and the tops of the
strut towers, but he also knows lots of welders that he barters auto repairs with. This was
not the first junker he's fixed up. For the couple of hundred he paid for it, he took a shot.
Unfortunately, once he got deep into it, he found out that it was worse than he thought.

In the end, it worked out for everyone. I got what I would have gotten anyway, he got
more than he paid for it and he spent time with his son taking it apart and taught him a
few things - not the least of which is that sometimes things don't always go as planned.

He ended up making the proverbial lemonade out of a lemon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 9:10:02 AM UTC-6, bob_villain wrote:
$10 in better than "good" condition...no charger or battery. I took it to a hardware store to try it with a battery...so I know it is worth investing about $85 for a battery and charger on eBay! Wahoo!

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-...rdless/2610-20

Had a slight accident with it today...looks like I'll have to give it to someone that can handle it properly!

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5hr3lppq.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 5:05:27 PM UTC-5, bob_villain wrote:
On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 9:10:02 AM UTC-6, bob_villain wrote:
$10 in better than "good" condition...no charger or battery. I took it to a hardware store to try it with a battery...so I know it is worth investing about $85 for a battery and charger on eBay! Wahoo!

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-...rdless/2610-20

Had a slight accident with it today...looks like I'll have to give it to someone that can handle it properly!

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5hr3lppq.jpg

You should invest in some band-aids.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 5:07:40 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 5:05:27 PM UTC-5, bob_villain wrote:
On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 9:10:02 AM UTC-6, bob_villain wrote:
$10 in better than "good" condition...no charger or battery. I took it to a hardware store to try it with a battery...so I know it is worth investing about $85 for a battery and charger on eBay! Wahoo!

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-...rdless/2610-20

Had a slight accident with it today...looks like I'll have to give it to someone that can handle it properly!

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5hr3lppq.jpg

You should invest in some band-aids.

Will they turn me a profit? —–|—”—ˇ—‰|——
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 7:15:46 PM UTC-5, bob_villain wrote:
On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 5:07:40 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 5:05:27 PM UTC-5, bob_villain wrote:
On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 9:10:02 AM UTC-6, bob_villain wrote:
$10 in better than "good" condition...no charger or battery. I took it to a hardware store to try it with a battery...so I know it is worth investing about $85 for a battery and charger on eBay! Wahoo!

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-...rdless/2610-20

Had a slight accident with it today...looks like I'll have to give it to someone that can handle it properly!

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5hr3lppq.jpg

You should invest in some band-aids.

Will they turn me a profit? —–|—”—ˇ—‰|——

Millions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_Aid_(band)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 9:10:02 AM UTC-6, bob_villain wrote:
$10 in better than "good" condition...no charger or battery. I took it to a hardware store to try it with a battery...so I know it is worth investing about $85 for a battery and charger on eBay! Wahoo!

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-...rdless/2610-20

http://vid1181.photobucket.com/album...psqyqyjzkn.mp4
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 9, 2015 at 12:12:34 PM UTC-5, bob_villain wrote:
On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 9:10:02 AM UTC-6, bob_villain wrote:
$10 in better than "good" condition...no charger or battery. I took it to a hardware store to try it with a battery...so I know it is worth investing about $85 for a battery and charger on eBay! Wahoo!

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-...rdless/2610-20

http://vid1181.photobucket.com/album...psqyqyjzkn.mp4

You should have used a backer board on that 4x4 to prevent the blowout.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 9, 2015 at 1:32:51 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, December 9, 2015 at 12:12:34 PM UTC-5, bob_villain wrote:
On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 9:10:02 AM UTC-6, bob_villain wrote:
$10 in better than "good" condition...no charger or battery. I took it to a hardware store to try it with a battery...so I know it is worth investing about $85 for a battery and charger on eBay! Wahoo!

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-...rdless/2610-20

http://vid1181.photobucket.com/album...psqyqyjzkn.mp4

You should have used a backer board on that 4x4 to prevent the blowout.

It was scrap that had a hole in it...I'd sent the video to someone in Germany and thought I would post it.