Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default OT/ Garage Sale Score!

On Saturday, November 28, 2015 at 4:29:28 PM UTC-5, Tekkie® wrote:
DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

On Friday, November 27, 2015 at 4:23:37 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 13:16:26 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

A Beanie Baby purchased for a kid to play with is a toy. A Beanie Baby purchased to be
stored in its original package to be sold later at (hopefully) a higher price is an investment.

If you buy a $10 power tool, part it out and sell the parts for a
higher price, is that an investment?

Sure, but probably only if that was your original intent.

I sold a car to my mechanic for the price I could have gotten for scraping it. His intention
was to teach his son how to fix it up enough to be a winter beater. Once they got into it,
they found out it was too far gone - the frame was rusted out. He ended up parting it out
and made more than he paid for it. It turned out to be an "investment" but it didn't start
out that way, so I don't feel that it counts as one.

I would question this mechanics knowledge of buying a car that has a bad
frame for his son...

--
Tekkie

I told him I was going to scrap the car. He offered me the same as I would have gotten for
scrap. He knew the car was rusting in certain places, like the core support and the tops of the
strut towers, but he also knows lots of welders that he barters auto repairs with. This was
not the first junker he's fixed up. For the couple of hundred he paid for it, he took a shot.
Unfortunately, once he got deep into it, he found out that it was worse than he thought.

In the end, it worked out for everyone. I got what I would have gotten anyway, he got
more than he paid for it and he spent time with his son taking it apart and taught him a
few things - not the least of which is that sometimes things don't always go as planned.

He ended up making the proverbial lemonade out of a lemon.