Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud Doobie Bud Doobie is offline

Default OT/ Garage Sale Score!

On 11/27/2015 07:29 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
That kind of reminds me of a discussion in this group many years ago. A few
people were insisting that every time they mowed their own lawn or painted
they own house, they*earned* the amount they would have paid someone else
to do it. (I know you didn't use the word "earn" so this discussion is different)
I eventually pointed out to them that if they had zero dollars in the bank
before they mowed the lawn, and zero dollars in the bank after they mowed the
lawn, they must not have earned anything. They quietly went away.:-)

In our locality, all lawns must be cut/maintained below a certain height.
If you fail to keep your lawn cut, the local municipality will cut it for you (at charge of course).
Obviously, for me, mowing the lawn is not optional.

The municipality's mowing fee is roughly 150% above market rate and is the most expensive option.

The second option is to hire it done but that is expensive as well.
Keep in mind that when hiring a service, most people have to pay for the service with after-tax dollars.
In my case, I have to earn $100 pre-tax dollars to pay for a $75 mow-job.

The third and most economical option is to buy a mower and DIY.
Aside from the one-time purchase of the mower, DIY mowing is the cheapest option and is also good for your health.

So, for us wage-slave taxpayers, buying a lawn mowing tool is an investment that pays huge dividends every time we use it.