Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fan duration to determine when to change filter

I don't need a complex programmable thermostat. All I want is to know how
many hours that fan has run so I know when to change the air filter. The
fan runs frequently in the summer and winter, but very infrequently in
the spring and fall. How often the fan runs is determined by temperature.
You can go weeks - or months - without the fan running at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

All you need to do is keep track of the fan hours while checking the filter every
now and then. Once you notice that it needs to be changed, you'll know how

Good luck with that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chicago Bob wrote:
I don't need a complex programmable thermostat. All I want is to know how
many hours that fan has run so I know when to change the air filter. The
fan runs frequently in the summer and winter, but very infrequently in
the spring and fall. How often the fan runs is determined by temperature.
You can go weeks - or months - without the fan running at all.

You never turn the fan on for like circulating air or freshen up the
stale indoor air specially when cooking, etc.? Filter gets dirty not
only depending on how long fan ran, it also depend how much dust is
generated indoor if there is pets, plants... I'd think under replacing
it may be a bad idea. I'd rather over replace. My filter size is
16x25x5. I replace twice a year. They don't look too bad when pulled.
But It gives me peace of mind. Programmable saves energy depending on
how you use it. I use it in my house and out at cabin.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chicago Bob" wrote in
message oups.com...
I don't need a complex programmable thermostat. All I want is to know how
many hours that fan has run so I know when to change the air filter. The
fan runs frequently in the summer and winter, but very infrequently in
the spring and fall. How often the fan runs is determined by temperature.
You can go weeks - or months - without the fan running at all.

You need to put a run time meter on the fan motor.

Get one like this from China. I have ordered several items from China and
it usually takes 2 to 3 weeks. They all have worked fine.

Ebay number:
111229090029

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
You never turn the fan on for like circulating air or freshen up the stale
indoor air specially when cooking, etc.? Filter gets dirty not only
depending on how long fan ran, it also depend how much dust is
generated indoor if there is pets, plants... I'd think under replacing it
may be a bad idea. I'd rather over replace. My filter size is 16x25x5. I
replace twice a year. They don't look too bad when pulled.
But It gives me peace of mind. Programmable saves energy depending on
how you use it. I use it in my house and out at cabin.

With just me and the wife at home and no pets and we keep the windows closed
there is not much dust and dirt. I use the least expensive 20x20x1 filters
and change them every 2 months on my heat pump. Most of the time they seem
to be just about as clean as the new ones. At less than $ 10 per year it is
not worth me worring about. Just change them on the odd numbered months at
the first of the month. Some months it runs a lot and some not too much,
but I just keep on schedule. Not worth the trouble to keep up with how
dirty they get.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, November 15, 2015 at 6:55:03 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Chicago Bob" wrote in
message oups.com...
I don't need a complex programmable thermostat. All I want is to know how
many hours that fan has run so I know when to change the air filter. The
fan runs frequently in the summer and winter, but very infrequently in
the spring and fall. How often the fan runs is determined by temperature.
You can go weeks - or months - without the fan running at all.

You need to put a run time meter on the fan motor.

Get one like this from China. I have ordered several items from China and
it usually takes 2 to 3 weeks. They all have worked fine.

Ebay number:
111229090029

What purpose will a run time meter serve, other than recording the run time?

His goal is not attainable unless he can keep the amount of dust being trapped
by the filter constant over any given fan run time. That ain't going to happen.

Methinks he knows that. He's just being silly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know what his goal is, he said "All I want is to know how
many hours that fan has run so I know when to change the air filter".

So with that I gave him a place to get a 120 volt run time meter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2015 4:44 PM, Chicago Bob wrote:
I don't need a complex programmable thermostat. All I want is to know how
many hours that fan has run so I know when to change the air filter. The
fan runs frequently in the summer and winter, but very infrequently in
the spring and fall. How often the fan runs is determined by temperature.
You can go weeks - or months - without the fan running at all.

How many "fan hours" do you consider significant? For an arbitrary
(and possibly seasonally variable) figure, you could buy an elapsed
time meter and wire it in parallel with your fan motor. Or,
you can buy a cheap clock (with date indication) and use that
(i.e., change it when N days have elapsed since the date displayed
on the previous change -- I suspect if you're off by a few fan-hours
it's not going to matter to you!)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 23:44:01 +0000, Chicago Bob
wrote:

I don't need a complex programmable thermostat. All I want is to know how
many hours that fan has run so I know when to change the air filter. The
fan runs frequently in the summer and winter, but very infrequently in
the spring and fall. How often the fan runs is determined by temperature.
You can go weeks - or months - without the fan running at all.

Start with an odd number. Add one and divide by two?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chicago Bob wrote:
I don't need a complex programmable thermostat. All I want is to know how
many hours that fan has run so I know when to change the air filter. The
fan runs frequently in the summer and winter, but very infrequently in
the spring and fall. How often the fan runs is determined by temperature.
You can go weeks - or months - without the fan running at all.

Fan run time is only one factor. There are other fctors like type of
floor in the house, pets, palnts, new or old house, etc. I just replace
twice a year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, November 15, 2015 at 7:17:12 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
[...]

Does that not tell you that his goal is to change the filter based on fan run time?

I'm sure you know that that is a not the best way to determine when to change the filter.

So with that I gave him a place to get a 120 volt run time meter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Really? Then how come most topics in this NG drag out SO LONG wasting
time and band width? There are many with simple mind and tunnel vision.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 18:28:50 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Then how come most topics in this NG drag out SO LONG wasting
time and band width?

Topics can be entertaining and bandwidth is cheap?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Then how come most topics in this NG drag out SO LONG wasting
time and band width?

Topics can be entertaining and bandwidth is cheap?

And no one forces you to READ (or respond!) to posts!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Then how come most topics in this NG drag out SO LONG wasting
time and band width?

Topics can be entertaining and bandwidth is cheap?

And no one forces you to READ (or respond!) to posts!

Just like television or radio. I can change the channel...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Then how come most topics in this NG drag out SO LONG wasting
time and band width?

Topics can be entertaining and bandwidth is cheap?

And no one forces you to READ (or respond!) to posts!

Just like television or radio. I can change the channel...

An interweb remote:

http://www.logitech.com/assets/31139/m310-grey.png
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, November 15, 2015 at 7:42:56 PM UTC-5, Tony Hwang wrote:
Chicago Bob wrote:
I don't need a complex programmable thermostat. All I want is to know how
many hours that fan has run so I know when to change the air filter. The
fan runs frequently in the summer and winter, but very infrequently in
the spring and fall. How often the fan runs is determined by temperature.
You can go weeks - or months - without the fan running at all.

Fan run time is only one factor.

In my opinion, fan run time isn't even a factor. Taken to the farthest extreme,
in a 100% dust free environment, the fan could run forever and the filter would
never need to be changed.

There are other fctors like type of
floor in the house, pets, palnts, new or old house, etc.

Those are the factors that matter.

I just replace twice a year.

Since that works for you, it's perfect. I use a reusable filter
and my fan runs 24 x 7, so it needs to be "changed" more
often. I also have a dog and cat. I take the filter out at
least once a month and use my electric leaf blower to
blow the dust out in a "reverse air flow" manner.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chicago Bob wrote:
[...]

If I want to use reusable I throw in electronic cleaner elements. I can
just wash them in the DW. Filter box is perfect for E. cleaner or
25x16x5 pleated cartridge. Just two of us and large dog. Last cat died
from natural cause. Decided not to have another cat who may outlive us.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chicago Bob wrote:
I don't need a complex programmable thermostat. All I want is to know how
many hours that fan has run so I know when to change the air filter. The
fan runs frequently in the summer and winter, but very infrequently in
the spring and fall. How often the fan runs is determined by temperature.
You can go weeks - or months - without the fan running at all.

I know a heating cycle run time can be recorded on some thermostats. Run
time meter sounds like a winner. I have a vacuum gauge on my system, but I
sully go by head calculation, or just look at filter. I used to ave one of
those whistlers long ago, when too much vacuum occurred.

What troubles me, I heard this whistling the other morning. Me and cats
were disturbed. Never heard that. Sounded like coming from attic. I better
check radon fan in attic.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, November 15, 2015 at 5:44:05 PM UTC-6, Chicago Bob wrote:
I don't need a complex programmable thermostat. All I want is to know how
many hours that fan has run so I know when to change the air filter. The
fan runs frequently in the summer and winter, but very infrequently in
the spring and fall. How often the fan runs is determined by temperature.
You can go weeks - or months - without the fan running at all.
--

Many electronic thermostats have a filter change reminder indicator and there is also a device available called a filter alarm that attaches to the filter and whistles when the airflow through the air filter decreases too much. ^_^

http://www.nrgideas.com/air-furnace-...ing-efficency/

http://tinyurl.com/qbpcrd7

http://www.climatestore.com/furnace-filter-whistle

http://www.amazon.com/Simply-Conserv.../dp/B009T7TJWA

You can always install a filter monitor. ^_^

http://www.amazon.com/Dwyer%C2%AE-Fu.../dp/B00IGG7LUW

[8~{} Uncle Filter Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chicago Bob wrote:
I don't need a complex programmable thermostat. All I want is to know how
many hours that fan has run so I know when to change the air filter. The
fan runs frequently in the summer and winter, but very infrequently in
the spring and fall. How often the fan runs is determined by temperature.
You can go weeks - or months - without the fan running at all.

Fan run time is only one factor.

In my opinion, fan run time isn't even a factor. Taken to the farthest extreme,
in a 100% dust free environment, the fan could run forever and the filter would
never need to be changed.

There are other fctors like type of
floor in the house, pets, palnts, new or old house, etc.

I see your point, but the OP isn't the only one that thinks
fan run time is relevant. I've seen thermostats from major
manufacturers that have a filter indicator that goes on
based on hours of fan run time. I've never bothered with it
though. Like you, I just check and/or change based on length
of use and past experience.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 15:54:46 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Sunday, November 15, 2015 at 6:44:05 PM UTC-5, Chicago Bob wrote:
I don't need a complex programmable thermostat. All I want is to know how

The programmable thermostat is meant for someone who leaves the house
empty when he goes to work, and/or who wants to save on heat or AC
when he's sleeping. In order to save money and conserve fuel.

many hours that fan has run so I know when to change the air filter. The
fan runs frequently in the summer and winter, but very infrequently in
the spring and fall. How often the fan runs is determined by temperature.
You can go weeks - or months - without the fan running at all.

All you need to do is keep track of the fan hours while checking the filter every
now and then.

I like your idea but I'd make it even simpler than this. Just keep
track of the weeks or months while checking the filter every now and
then.

Once you notice that it needs to be changed, you'll know how
many hours of fan operation it takes.

Once you notice it needs to be changed, you'll know how many months of
operation it takes.

From then on, all you need to do is keep
the amount of dust in your house exactly the same over those hours of operation

I think you were sarcastic here, but I still like your idea.

and you can change the filter based on run time.

Good luck with that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 16, 2015 at 7:45:13 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
I see your point, but the OP isn't the only one that thinks
fan run time is relevant. I've seen thermostats from major
manufacturers that have a filter indicator that goes on
based on hours of fan run time. I've never bothered with it
though. Like you, I just check and/or change based on length
of use and past experience.

I'm one who thinks run time is a useful measurement. It gives you the best indication whether your equipment is sized properly, and that will let you be sure of the right size when it comes time to replace.

I'm not sure how useful it is for filter replacement. I do that by listening to the air flow across the filter - when it starts to get a bit louder I replace. When my hearing fades (I'm getting up there in age) I'll just start changing every two months again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

From then on, all you need to do is keep
the amount of dust in your house exactly the same over those hours of operation

I think you were sarcastic here, but I still like your idea.

and you can change the filter based on run time.

Good luck with that.

The entire post was sarcastic. The idea behind "keeping the
dust constant" has to start with knowing how many hours of
time it takes before the filter needs changing - at that
dust level. That is why my process was posted as a single
paragraph. You can't do one without the other.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chicago Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...

I don't need a complex programmable thermostat. All I want is to know how
many hours that fan has run so I know when to change the air filter. The
fan runs frequently in the summer and winter, but very infrequently in
the spring and fall. How often the fan runs is determined by temperature.
You can go weeks - or months - without the fan running at all.

I do not want hard on for 4 hours I will be happy for half hour!?!?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Nov 2015 04:45:02 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

I see your point, but the OP isn't the only one that thinks
fan run time is relevant. I've seen thermostats from major
manufacturers that have a filter indicator that goes on
based on hours of fan run time. I've never bothered with it
though. Like you, I just check and/or change based on length
of use and past experience.

Why does evenything have to be high-tech?

Most people just change their filters when they look dirty, or change
them 2 or more times a year, based on the calendar or when the heating &
cooling seasons begin.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 16, 2015 at 2:47:20 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Most people just change their filters when they look dirty, or change
them 2 or more times a year, based on the calendar or when the heating &
cooling seasons begin.

There's a reason it isn't common to have run time easily available.

It would show how badly sized some systems are.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 16, 2015 at 8:18:21 AM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
On Monday, November 16, 2015 at 7:45:13 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
I see your point, but the OP isn't the only one that thinks
fan run time is relevant. I've seen thermostats from major
manufacturers that have a filter indicator that goes on
based on hours of fan run time. I've never bothered with it
though. Like you, I just check and/or change based on length
of use and past experience.

I'm one who thinks run time is a useful measurement. It gives you the best indication whether your equipment is sized properly, and that will let you be sure of the right size when it comes time to replace.

What does a thermostat's run time tracker actually measure? If all it measures is *fan* run
time, it will tell me nothing about whether my furnace is sized correctly or not.

I often run my fan 24 x 7 to keep the air circulating.

I'm not sure how useful it is for filter replacement. I do that by listening to the air flow across the filter - when it starts to get a bit louder I replace. When my hearing fades (I'm getting up there in age) I'll just start changing every two months again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Nov 2015 03:28:03 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Sunday, November 15, 2015 at 5:44:05 PM UTC-6, Chicago Bob wrote:
I don't need a complex programmable thermostat. All I want is to know how
many hours that fan has run so I know when to change the air filter. The
fan runs frequently in the summer and winter, but very infrequently in
the spring and fall. How often the fan runs is determined by temperature.
You can go weeks - or months - without the fan running at all.
--

Many electronic thermostats have a filter change reminder indicator and there is also a device available called a filter alarm that attaches to the filter and whistles when the airflow through the air filter decreases too much. ^_^

I bought one of those, but then when I tried to slide the filter into
the filter holder, the whistle made it an inch too thick. If I cut
the whistle shorter, I think it would have fallen out of place. How
do people get the whistle into the air stream?

See below.

http://www.nrgideas.com/air-furnace-...ing-efficency/

http://tinyurl.com/qbpcrd7

http://www.climatestore.com/furnace-filter-whistle

I guess these answer that question.
http://www.amazon.com/Simply-Conserv.../dp/B009T7TJWA

You can always install a filter monitor. ^_^

http://www.amazon.com/Dwyer%C2%AE-Fu.../dp/B00IGG7LUW

[8~{} Uncle Filter Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 16, 2015 at 5:56:20 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm one who thinks run time is a useful measurement. It gives you the best indication whether your equipment is sized properly, and that will let you be sure of the right size when it comes time to replace.

What does a thermostat's run time tracker actually measure? If all it measures is *fan* run
time, it will tell me nothing about whether my furnace is sized correctly or not.

And if all it measures is compressor time, it will tell you very little about your filter.

But I don't really care about the filter. I change it by the time, or when I hear the air flow sound change, whichever comes first.

I don't have a thermostat with a run time tracker and in fact have never seen one. So we need someone to tell us how they are programmed. In theory I don't see any reason why they couldn't track either fan or compressor, or both.

If your AC equipment is running 10% of the time on a hot day, it's too big. If it's running 100% on a mild day, it's too small. Ideally it would run 100% on your peak days and not quite keep up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Well, seems he's talking about people who don't run it 24/7, which
would be most of us. Or people who at least don't run the fan
separately while doing the test. You don't need to do this for
months. You just need to do it one day when it's one of the coldest
or hottest days. But I can get a general feel for it without
the thermostat having an hour timer, just from observing how long
the furnace is running for an hour, without even using a watch.
Beyond some general observation,
probably not much value in more refined data because IDK from
that how you're going to pin down that it's oversized by XX BTU anyway.
But it could be useful so that if you have say a 100BTU, you know that
you can go down one size. It also assumes that the existing furnace
is working at it's rated efficiency, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, November 17, 2015 at 8:24:20 AM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
[...]

I've had a programmable where it tracked fan time. It was specifically
there for what the OP is talking about, it's the filter change reminder.
You could set the number of hours, it counts down, when it expires it
puts up a flashing filter change indicator.

Never saw one that tracked furnace or compressor run time. The filter
change angle is the only real use I see, based on fan time.

If your AC equipment is running 10% of the time on a hot day, it's too big. If it's running 100% on a mild day, it's too small. Ideally it would run 100% on your peak days and not quite keep up.

Say what? Run 100% on peak days and not keep up? Who would want that?
Also, with undersizing it's not just the keeping up, it's the recovery time.
I want a system that doesn't take all day to heat or cool the house and
get it back to desired temp when it's been setback.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 16, 2015 at 4:20:59 PM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
On Monday, November 16, 2015 at 2:47:20 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Most people just change their filters when they look dirty, or change
them 2 or more times a year, based on the calendar or when the heating &
cooling seasons begin.

There's a reason it isn't common to have run time easily available.

It would show how badly sized some systems are.

Yeah, I'm sure the thermostat manufacturers all have that in mind....
Or it could be that they figure that consumers wouldn't use it, don't
need it, how would they explain what it's for, etc..... A filter
change indicator based on fan time, that I can see some consumers
thinking they could use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Wait...I'm confused. You were the one that said "I'm one who thinks run
time is a useful measurement. It gives you the best indication whether
your equipment is sized properly..."

Yet it appears that you don't know what "run time" is actually measured,
so you don't really know that "It gives you the best indication whether
your equipment is sized properly".

Do I have that right?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, November 15, 2015 at 6:44:05 PM UTC-5, Chicago Bob wrote:
I don't need a complex programmable thermostat. All I want is to know how
many hours that fan has run so I know when to change the air filter. The
fan runs frequently in the summer and winter, but very infrequently in
the spring and fall. How often the fan runs is determined by temperature.
You can go weeks - or months - without the fan running at all.

--

they sell a whistle that goes into the filter, when the filter gets clogged the whistle blows
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/2015 11:13 AM, bob haller wrote:

they sell a whistle that goes into the filter, when the filter gets clogged the whistle blows

If you ever find a URL, I'd love to see that. Sounds like a good idea.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, November 17, 2015 at 1:03:10 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/17/2015 11:13 AM, bob haller wrote:

they sell a whistle that goes into the filter, when the filter gets clogged the whistle blows

If you ever find a URL, I'd love to see that. Sounds like a good idea.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Micky already posted a few links for items as cheap as $3.99 for
a simple whistle to over $80 for a fancy-a$$ electronic sensor.

Look up thread a few posts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/2015 8:24 AM, TimR wrote:
I don't have a thermostat with a run time tracker and in fact have never seen one. So we need someone to tell us how they are programmed. In theory I don't see any reason why they couldn't track either fan or compressor, or both.

Mine just tracks "on" time. Hours for the day, hours total. There may
be more sophisticated models though.