Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Fan duration to determine when to change filter

On Sunday, November 15, 2015 at 7:17:12 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Sunday, November 15, 2015 at 6:55:03 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Chicago Bob" wrote
in
message oups.com...
I don't need a complex programmable thermostat. All I want is to know
how
many hours that fan has run so I know when to change the air filter.
The
fan runs frequently in the summer and winter, but very infrequently in
the spring and fall. How often the fan runs is determined by
temperature.
You can go weeks - or months - without the fan running at all.

You need to put a run time meter on the fan motor.

Get one like this from China. I have ordered several items from China
and
it usually takes 2 to 3 weeks. They all have worked fine.

Ebay number:
111229090029

What purpose will a run time meter serve, other than recording the run
time?

His goal is not attainable unless he can keep the amount of dust being
trapped
by the filter constant over any given fan run time. That ain't going to
happen.

Methinks he knows that. He's just being silly.

I don't know what his goal is, he said "All I want is to know how
many hours that fan has run so I know when to change the air filter".

Does that not tell you that his goal is to change the filter based on fan run time?

I'm sure you know that that is a not the best way to determine when to change the filter.

So with that I gave him a place to get a 120 volt run time meter.