Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT auto repair OT

On 11/3/2015 1:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Rather than be cold five minutes I use the remote start when it is that
cold. I just wish the heated seats would stay on. The steering wheel
heater does so that is warm when I get in.

There may be a reason why the seat heaters do not come up with the remote
start.

The manual for my Odyssey states:

"Use the HI setting only to heat the seats quickly because it draws
large amounts of current from the battery. If the engine is left idling
for an extended period, do not use the seat heaters, even on the LO
setting. It can weaken the battery, causing hard starting."

Granted, the manual does not define what they mean by "an extended period"
but perhaps even the 20 minutes that many remote starts shut down after is
"extended" enough to weaken the battery.

That said, my seat heaters are controlled by a rocker switch which means
that I can set them to HI or LO and have them come on with the remote start.

Makes sense. I've had five cars with heated seats. Three stayed on,
two did not. At idle the alternator may not be putting out enough to
safely keep up with the draw. The seats in this car do heat up faster
and the back is warmer than others so I suspect it has a high draw.
Nice to have a warm wheel to hold onto as I rarely wear gloves.

Once warm, I always turn the seat off, but my wife keeps hers on much
longer. That's OK though, her butt is cuter than mine

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/3/2015 3:28 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Still, a warm cabin, even if the leather is cold, is better than
nothing.

I'll remember this and chuckle when I climb on the Harley for a ride this
winter ... My one concession is electric gloves , because my pinkies chill
quickly .

If we pass each other, please don't be offended by the comment I make
seeing you (or anyone else) on a bike at less than 32 degrees.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/03/2015 01:28 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I'll remember this and chuckle when I climb on the Harley for a ride this
winter ... My one concession is electric gloves , because my pinkies chill
quickly .

My sentiments exactly although I put the Harley to sleep last weekend.
In the winter I switch to the DR650. It starts easier, the knobbies work
better in snow -- and it has heated hand grips. They don't work that
well but it's better than nothing. My co-workers get upset by the
screams and cursing when my hands start to thaw out on chilly morning.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/03/2015 07:30 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If we pass each other, please don't be offended by the comment I make
seeing you (or anyone else) on a bike at less than 32 degrees.

Ain't nothing compared to what we say about cagers on a beautiful spring
evening. I guess you won't be participating in the New Years Day ride then?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/3/2015 9:57 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 11/03/2015 07:30 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If we pass each other, please don't be offended by the comment I make
seeing you (or anyone else) on a bike at less than 32 degrees.

Ain't nothing compared to what we say about cagers on a beautiful spring
evening.

Yeah, about 5 days a year I'm jealous.

I guess you won't be participating in the New Years Day ride then?

Sure, if it is in southern Florida.