Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT...auto A/C repair

Apparently the bearing is going out on the pulley end of the A/C
compressor. Can bearings be easily replaced or should I just replace the
compressor?
Randy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Depends on which bearing it is. If it is the one in the clutch, that
assembly can be purchased and replaced fairly quickly and easily. It it
is in the compressor itself most likely all the gas has escaped and it
is better to replace the whole compressor due to metal contamination.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 4, 12:26 pm, Randy Replogle wrote:
Apparently the bearing is going out on the pulley end of the A/C
compressor. Can bearings be easily replaced or should I just replace the
compressor?
Randy

Depends on the type of system. I've replaced the bearing on my Ford,
but it has a Warn clutch, millions made. The bearing has a standard
number but nobody stocks it except auto A/C parts suppliers with a
really deep inventory. Found mine on the internet. I'm assuming you
mean the clutch pulley bearing and not something in the compressor.
You CAN pull the pulley and clutch off with the compressor in the car,
but it depends on what's in the way. I had to remove the fan and the
radiator to get enough space to use the hub puller on my van. Most
current after-market shop manuals refuse to give any details about how
to pull bits off the A/C components, referring you to an A/C shop. If
your unit has a Warn clutch, maintenance and setup details were on the
web at the time I did mine. The bearing ran about $20 + shipping and
quieted that pup right down. While I was at it, I resurfaced the
clutch plate and pulley and reset the running gap using the Warn
instructions. I also had a couple of extra compressors to snag parts
from, $7@ from the local U-Pullit. Nice having a vehicle they made
millions of.

You can get the special tools on loan from the likes of Autozone, some
of the other chains also have free loaner programs. To remove mine, I
had to use a clutch plate holder to remove the hub nut, a hub puller
to remove that, a set of long-nosed snap ring pliers with bent tips to
remove an internal snap ring, and a special pulley puller to remove
the clutch pulley. Runs to about $200 worth of tools, make sure you
have enough space on your plastic before getting them. Autozone
charges your card, then takes it off when you bring them back.

To order the bearing, you'll need make, year and model of the car and
the actual number cast or stamped into the compressor with its model
number. Lots of work with putty knife and pressure washer to get the
last with most old cars.

You CAN get just the clutch unit as a rebuilt, would be all set to
go. For mine, that ran between $80 and $200, depending on what parts
joint was doing the gouging. You'd still need the tools to install
it, though.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 18:26:35 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Randy
Replogle quickly quoth:

Apparently the bearing is going out on the pulley end of the A/C
compressor. Can bearings be easily replaced or should I just replace the
compressor?

Bearings are easily replaced, but only with the correct $$$ tools.
And don't forget to fill with oil and evacuate the system prior to
recharge.

--
"Excess regulation and government spending destroy jobs and increase
unemployment. Every regulator we fire results in the creation of over
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Randy Replogle writes:

Apparently the bearing is going out on the pulley end of the A/C
compressor. Can bearings be easily replaced or should I just replace
the compressor?

I'm not sure which bearing you mean: if it's actually in the clutch,
the clutch can be replaced. If it's in the compressor itself, some
sell parts and some don't. But frankly, in either case I'd probably
just replace the compressor -- in my experience, if a clutch goes, the
compressor isn't far behind anyway.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Randy Replogle wrote:
Apparently the bearing is going out on the pulley end of the A/C
compressor. Can bearings be easily replaced or should I just replace the
compressor?
Randy

\

There is a carbon mechanical seal inside the compressor to seal the
freon inside the unit. Any shock on the shaft ( dont pound on it) will
likely crack the seal and then the compressor will have to be rebuilt.
I would pressureize the compressor and do a leak check before I put
money in replacing the bearing on the clutch. A soap bubble test will
probably be good enough.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Randy Replogle wrote:
Apparently the bearing is going out on the pulley end of the A/C
compressor. Can bearings be easily replaced or should I just replace the
compressor?
Randy

Good info everybody, thanks. I also see that you can get a "dummy"
pulley that bolts on in place of the compressor as an idler, but it's
been hot here lately.
Randy