Gunner

Default Auto repair welders?

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 00:41:04 GMT, Ignoramus15786
wrote:

I am looking hard for a MIG welder that could weld up to 3/8" of
steel. I am a complete newbie to welding btw.

There will be a liquidation sale of a car repair outfit where they
advertise a welder for sale (as well as more stuff like a big 3 ph
compressor etc). I do not know the type of welder.

My question. Is it worth going there or will that welder likely to be
suitable only for thin metal welding?

Iggy..any quality 220vt 1ph MIG will do 3/8", but you might be better
off with a stick welder for that thickness metal. There is some
learning curve once you get over 1/4"

As to the welder in question..it really depends on the brand, and
condition of the welder as well as the model of course.

If you can find out the details, Im sure we can give you a thumbs up,
or down

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown
Gunner

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 11:40:49 GMT, Ignoramus3635
wrote:

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 06:12:49 GMT, Gunner wrote:
Iggy..any quality 220vt 1ph MIG will do 3/8", but you might be better
off with a stick welder for that thickness metal. There is some
learning curve once you get over 1/4"

Gunner, what would constitute a quality 1 phase MIG welder? Is that
about amps, or duty cycle, or something else?

Amps, followed by duty cycle, then brand name.

150 amps at 60% duty cycle would suit you pretty well.. Most brand
name 150-200 amp welders by

Lincoln www.lincolnelectric.com
Miller http://www.millerwelds.com/
Esab http://www.esabna.com/
Hobart http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/
HTP http://www.usaweld.com/
DanMig http://www.danmig.com/ (made in Denmark..good welder)
Airco (out of business but many around)

Hobart is owned by Miller IRRC.

I have used each of these manufacturers MIGs, all are good.

Even the older ones are decent. Miller is supposed to make the best,
between Lincoln and Miller, based on what I hear from the pros.

Shrug.

As to the welder in question..it really depends on the brand, and
condition of the welder as well as the model of course.

If you can find out the details, Im sure we can give you a thumbs up,
or down

Thanks... I will be on the road and will need to decide quickly...

Call me if need be

805-732-5308