Posted to alt.home.repair

Default sink faucet running slow

I can hear a 'click' and the water runs slow. It is a high tap for the kitchen. No idea what brand but thinking Delta. The other water faucets in the house are fine. I cleaned the screens but think there must be some kind of mixing valve. I took the cartridges out and rinsed them. They appear to be in good shape but are 15 years old. I really can't buy new ones because of being unsure of the brand and water off sill sends some water through the stems into the sink.

So the question: Is there a mixing valve that moves and may be clogged?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Is this a single handle faucet or 2 separate handles? You make it sound like just one, but not sure. Also all manufacturers put their names on their products, look for a name faintly etched into the faucet surface.
Posted to alt.home.repair

two handle. no name to be seen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If both hot and cold have low pressure, then there is a restriction between the line coming in from the water meter and where the hot water line to the heater branches off. Or, there is a restriction in the faucet itself. Don't you have a "handy" neighbor you can work with???
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 6:04:16 PM UTC-4, wrote:
If both hot and cold have low pressure, then there is a restriction between the line coming in from the water meter and where the hot water line to the heater branches off. Or, there is a restriction in the faucet itself.

I'm going with faucet because the rest of the house is OK. I heard a click from the faucet when it goes light. Everything including icemaker is fine. Same line.
Whole house is same line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thomas wrote:
On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 6:04:16 PM UTC-4, wrote:
If both hot and cold have low pressure, then there is a restriction
between the line coming in from the water meter and where the hot water
line to the heater branches off. Or, there is a restriction in the faucet itself.

I'm going with faucet because the rest of the house is OK. I heard a
click from the faucet when it goes light. Everything including icemaker is fine. Same line.
Whole house is same line.

I had something similar a few years ago. By the way, look for the name at
the base on the back. Sometimes it's back there.

Turn off the water to both valves and take them out. Put a cup over the
opening now to divert the water into the sink. Turn the water underneath
the sink on slowly with someone controlling the cup so it doesn't fly away.
You may have some crap stuck down in the water line. Do this to both sides.
If that doesn't fix it then one of the valves is bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 7:46:53 PM UTC-4, badgolferman wrote:

I took the faucet main neck off and cleaned it with an eyeglass scre4wdiver. back to normal for now. I'm suer in the future I wilol need more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thomas wrote:

I took the faucet main neck off and cleaned it with an eyeglass scre4wdiver. back to normal for now. I'm suer in the future I wilol need more.

Many Delta faucets, as well as others, have lifetime guarantees, no questions asked. I have a
Delta with a head that converts from stream to spray. At one point it stopped flowing completely.
I called, they sent me a new head. A few years later the spray stayed on a little even when it was
switched to stream. Once again, I called, they sent me a new head.

The flow seems to slowing down now, so I'm going to call before it stops and get another one.

If you go to their website, you should be able to find a picture of your model. If not, the CSR's
are pretty good at helping you figure out via your description or perhaps a photo sent by
email. Call them first and see what they suggest.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thomas,

If both hot and cold are running slow in that faucet but not the rest of
the house then it's likely that the water pressure is good to the faucet.
It's not likely that both cartridges have failed. After the cartidges, the
water is mixed together and sent out the spigot. There may be crud in this
section of pipe. Try this. Remove both cartridges. Takeoff the mesh screen
at the sigot, get compressed air ( a bike pump), and blow from the spigot
back to the cartidge bodies. Clean up the crud and put everything back
together.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 3:34:48 PM UTC-5, Thomas wrote:
I can hear a 'click' and the water runs slow. It is a high tap for the kitchen. No idea what brand but thinking Delta. The other water faucets in the house are fine. I cleaned the screens but think there must be some kind of mixing valve. I took the cartridges out and rinsed them. They appear to be in good shape but are 15 years old. I really can't buy new ones because of being unsure of the brand and water off sill sends some water through the stems into the sink.

So the question: Is there a mixing valve that moves and may be clogged?

Someone already mentioned the screen but have you removed the aerator on the end of the faucet. They do get clogged with crud and the screen needs to be cleaned every so often. ^_^

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faucet_aerator

[8~{} Uncle Bubble Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 21, 2015 at 10:13:18 PM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 3:34:48 PM UTC-5, Thomas wrote:
I can hear a 'click' and the water runs slow. It is a high tap for the kitchen. No idea what brand but thinking Delta. The other water faucets in the house are fine. I cleaned the screens but think there must be some kind of mixing valve. I took the cartridges out and rinsed them. They appear to be in good shape but are 15 years old. I really can't buy new ones because of being unsure of the brand and water off sill sends some water through the stems into the sink.

So the question: Is there a mixing valve that moves and may be clogged?

Someone already mentioned the screen but have you removed the aerator on the end of the faucet. They do get clogged with crud and the screen needs to be cleaned every so often. ^_^

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faucet_aerator

[8~{} Uncle Bubble Monster

Some faucet heads are not made to come apart as easily as the heads of old.

My Delta has a flow and spray head built into one. The 2" wide rubber
"plate" where the water comes out is recessed into the stainless body of
the head. It is not made to simply unscrew like the old style aerators.

I did manage to get mine apart but the only thing to grab onto is the
little nubs for the spray function, so there is going to be some
cosmetic damage. Actually, you couldn't *grab* anything. What I did was use
a pair of channel-locks and *pushed* on the side of 2 nubs until the plate
started to turn.

Once it was apart, there wasn't much to clean or back flush due to the
dual functionality design of the head. Trust me, I tried, but to no avail.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 8:54:59 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I've found government mandated flow restrictors in some aerators that were clogged with debris too. Of course I remove those damn things anyway so some useful amount of water will actually come out of the faucet. There are soft jaw pliers which are useful for disassembling smooth surfaced items that are screwed into something. Sometimes a strap wrench will work if you can get one on the item. Harbor Freight has a cheap set and of course you can also buy an expensive set if you wish. ^__^

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...q=strap+wrench

[8~{} Uncle Wrenching Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 11:10:53 AM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Soft jaw pliers or a strap wrench will not help with the disassembly of
this type of faucet head because there is nothing to grab onto:

http://www.us.kohler.com/us/catalog/...continued=true

Like I said, the only way to unscrew the portion of the faucet where the
water comes out is to use those little tiny nubs you see and hope you
can break the threads without damaging the nubs. You have to push on the
sides of the nubs while pushing down. They are not really made to be taken
apart.

That's why you can't buy internal parts for those heads. The vendor just
sends you a whole new head, typically under the lifetime warranty.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 11:10:44 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

That's why I often perform Educational Destructive Autopsies on items that have GRONKED. I'm gonna get it apart one way or another. ^__^

[8~{} Uncle GRONK Monster

Central AC Condenser Fan Running Slow trader_4 Home Repair 58 June 7th 16 04:43 PM
Slow running faucet Hank[_5_] Home Repair 17 September 30th 09 02:34 PM
DTV Pal running slow DaveC Electronics Repair 35 May 14th 09 05:33 AM
slow running hot tap Liz UK diy 2 January 16th 07 08:30 PM
slow running water dk Home Repair 12 January 9th 06 03:01 AM