Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

Default DTV Pal running slow

My DTV Pal set top box is starting its scheduled channel changes late.
Currently it's running 10 minutes late.

I've disabled "inactivity standby" (which turns it off after certain time
without detecting activity from the remote) because it would frequently turn
off prior to scheduled recordings. (No, it doesn't wake up to execute
schedules.) This also disables automatic download of stations' program
information including current time (which it does during its "off time").

Forcing a Reset (holding down the Power button) results in downloading of
program info as well as automatically setting the internal clock (based on
stations' time data). But this gets tedious.

The problem is that if I haven't recently forced a reset, the DTV Pal will
keep running later and later.

Do these things have simple crystal controlled clocks? Suggestions re. how to
stabilize it? Adjust it?

Thanks,
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

DaveC wrote:

My DTV Pal set top box

Model, make etc ?

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.engineering.electrical

Model, make etc ?

DTV Pal (also marketed under the model name TR-40) by Dish Network.
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

"DaveC" wrote in message
obal.net...
[...]

See this link, similar problem. Could be the station clock is off ...
http://qna.omgili.com/jmp/jHIAmI4hxg_hf1cmsoJd0xxDKgr.sJJDgY2wrRwyIqREhKXlHr o4KRiyb0EK9oXKJayrWTKlfM3o2Uh9Qe8WuGSvsO0..e5Anhhz uVjW2he4c0WZiuJ.SzAmHOgYoqU7ht9oBOjiwGqQNXz9kTXkH0 dEOm4_PKBZhAyHUXSTO6k-

Cheers

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

Martin Riddle wrote:
"DaveC" wrote in message
obal.net...
[...]

Wouldn't surprise me the least bit, considering that they often can't
even keep the guide list current. Or just won't. We regularly turn on
the TV because a movie was announced. Then some other movie plays while
(!) the original one is still listed. Seems nobody gives a hoot there.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

DaveC wrote:

Model, make etc ?

DTV Pal (also marketed under the model name TR-40) by Dish Network.

Means nothing to me. Why are you using PAL in the USA ?

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

Eeyore wrote:

DaveC wrote:

Model, make etc ?

DTV Pal (also marketed under the model name TR-40) by Dish Network.

Means nothing to me. Why are you using PAL in the USA ?

"pal" as in "buddy" I guess. Maybe "mate" or "bloke" in rightpondian ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

"Eeyore" wrote in message

DaveC wrote:

Model, make etc ?

DTV Pal (also marketed under the model name TR-40) by Dish Network.

Means nothing to me. Why are you using PAL in the USA ?

Graham

Not PAL as in the video standard but Pal as in that's what the set-top box
is called. Kind of like VCR meant any format (VHS or Beta) Video Casette
Recorder in the US and not a specific format of Video Casette Recorder or
Video.

Also see DivX and DRM.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

Andy from Dover wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
DaveC wrote:

Model, make etc ?

DTV Pal (also marketed under the model name TR-40) by Dish Network.

Means nothing to me. Why are you using PAL in the USA ?

Not PAL as in the video standard but Pal as in that's what the set-top box
is called. Kind of like VCR meant any format (VHS or Beta) Video Casette
Recorder in the US and not a specific format of Video Casette Recorder or
Video.

How deliberately confusing is that ?

PAL = Phase Alternate Line.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL

NTSC = never twice the same colour.
http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Contrib/WorldTV/why.html

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

Joerg wrote:

Martin Riddle wrote:
"DaveC" wrote in message

[...]

My cable provider updates the prgramme guide via cable broadband ( built into the STB ) It can 'go funny' sometimes presumably when traffic is high. It's NEVER 10 mins out though, maybe a minute at worst.

Indeed the STB seems to be a combined TV source and broadband router.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

See this link, similar problem. Could be the station clock is off ...

No such luck. Each station is spot on and agrees with my computer's clock
(I'm using a computer as a DVR).

As further evidence that it's internal, forcing a "reset" (holding down the
Power button) forces the stb to synchronize its clock with whatever source
(you say CBS affiliate?) it uses as its reference. That corrects the late
clock, but it continues to get slower as the days tick by.

Ideas?

Thanks,
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

Eeyore wrote:

Joerg wrote:

Martin Riddle wrote:
"DaveC" wrote in message

[...]

The technology is fine in our case as well. But someone at the station
would need to trudge over to the computer and enter the change. That's
not happening.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

DaveC wrote:
See this link, similar problem. Could be the station clock is off ...

No such luck. Each station is spot on and agrees with my computer's clock
(I'm using a computer as a DVR).

As further evidence that it's internal, forcing a "reset" (holding down the
Power button) forces the stb to synchronize its clock with whatever source
(you say CBS affiliate?) it uses as its reference. That corrects the late
clock, but it continues to get slower as the days tick by.

Ideas?

Is there possibly a setup menu that has an entry field for "update clock
every xx minutes"?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

Eeyore wrote:

Andy from Dover wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
DaveC wrote:

Model, make etc ?
DTV Pal (also marketed under the model name TR-40) by Dish Network.
Means nothing to me. Why are you using PAL in the USA ?

Not PAL as in the video standard but Pal as in that's what the set-top box
is called. Kind of like VCR meant any format (VHS or Beta) Video Casette
Recorder in the US and not a specific format of Video Casette Recorder or
Video.

How deliberately confusing is that ?

PAL = Phase Alternate Line.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL

NTSC = never twice the same colour.
http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Contrib/WorldTV/why.html

Graham

Eeyore=Idiot
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

"DaveC" wrote in message
obal.net...
My DTV Pal set top box is starting its scheduled channel changes late.
Currently it's running 10 minutes late.

-snipped for brevity-

Have you tried the newest [f207] firmware?

More Q&As , with clock info, he

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1099071

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi!

With clock symptoms showing up, the first thing I'd look for is a battery or
large capacitor on the board...either one could be responsible for keeping
the clock running. Personally, I'd bet the thing has a battery like a CR2032
in place to keep the clock running.

Many designs will only use the battery when it's needed, but some pull from
it all the time. If the unit were to be stored in the absence of wall power,
or if it uses the battery all/most of the time even when plugged in, the
battery should last 2-3 years.

William

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

In article "Martin Riddle" writes:

"DaveC" wrote in message
lobal.net...
My DTV Pal set top box is starting its scheduled channel changes late.
Currently it's running 10 minutes late.

I've disabled "inactivity standby" (which turns it off after certain
time
without detecting activity from the remote) because it would
frequently turn
off prior to scheduled recordings. (No, it doesn't wake up to execute
schedules.)

Mine records while "off".

I don't know when or how it gets the time on yours, but mine has to
get it from PSIP since the local TVGOS doesn't work. I asked the station
engineer about it, and he said they would get it going, but that was
months ago -- I doubt they are able to make it work.

I have noticed errors all over the place with the PSIP time, one station
was about 13 years slow (time from 1996 or so).

This also disables automatic download of stations' program
information including current time (which it does during its "off
time").

So, let it shut down. It will still record.

Of course, there is no reason it needs to be "off" to download the
time, and no reason it needs to reboot to load the TVGOS guide, but
it continues to try that too. At least it gathers PSIP while on
and active, but it stupidly forgets the PSIP information very rapidly
while looking at it.

Probably cheap offshore programmers doing a bad job of programming.

Other obvious programming problems are that it cannot realize when
it can use 1 tuner for two overlapping recordings from the same channel.

Do these things have simple crystal controlled clocks? Suggestions re.
how to
stabilize it? Adjust it?

Well, if it wants to be "off", let it turn "off".

Alan
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

In article Eeyore writes:

DaveC wrote:

Model, make etc ?

DTV Pal (also marketed under the model name TR-40) by Dish Network.

Means nothing to me. Why are you using PAL in the USA ?

Because the product called the DTV Pal works with ATSC. It's just
a name. (It originally was called the TR-50 (not TR-40, the -40 was
a CECB)).

http://dtvpal.com/

Alan
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

In article Eeyore writes:

How deliberately confusing is that ?

PAL = Phase Alternate Line.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL

NTSC = never twice the same colour.
http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Contrib/WorldTV/why.html

Apparently only to someone who has had their brain fried by the 50 Hz
flicker of slow television.

It has been accepted by many, that NTSC has given *better* color than
PAL ever since solid state electronics have made phase response stable
in the early 1970's.

But, we are talking about ATSC here.

Alan
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

In article ,
Kalarama wrote:
"DaveC" wrote in message
lobal.net...
My DTV Pal set top box is starting its scheduled channel changes late.
Currently it's running 10 minutes late.

-snipped for brevity-

Have you tried the newest [f207] firmware?

More Q&As , with clock info, he

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1099071

Upgradeable firmware for the STB? I think we're confusing two different
product here; the STB and the DVR.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

Because the product called the DTV Pal works with ATSC. It's just
a name. (It originally was called the TR-50 (not TR-40, the -40 was
a CECB)).

I think ya got it backward:

The DTVPal is equivalent to TR-40; just a ATSC converter.

the DTVPal DVR -- a.k.a. TR-50 -- is a ATSC converter and DVR rolled into
one.
--
John English

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

akaSoetoro wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Andy from Dover wrote:
"Eeyore" wrote
DaveC wrote:

Model, make etc ?
DTV Pal (also marketed under the model name TR-40) by Dish Network.
Means nothing to me. Why are you using PAL in the USA ?
Not PAL as in the video standard but Pal as in that's what the set-top box
is called. Kind of like VCR meant any format (VHS or Beta) Video Casette
Recorder in the US and not a specific format of Video Casette Recorder or
Video.

How deliberately confusing is that ?

PAL = Phase Alternate Line.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL

NTSC = never twice the same colour.
http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Contrib/WorldTV/why.html

Eeyore=Idiot

There is another acronym.

PAL = Pure Aesthetic Loveliness.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

Alan wrote:

Eeyore writes:

How deliberately confusing is that ?

PAL = Phase Alternate Line.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL

NTSC = never twice the same colour.
http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Contrib/WorldTV/why.html

Apparently only to someone who has had their brain fried by the 50 Hz
flicker of slow television.

It has been accepted by many, that NTSC has given *better* color than
PAL ever since solid state electronics have made phase response stable
in the early 1970's.

And how do you justify that statement ?

We were broadcasting TV in Britain quite some time before WW2 sonny.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

DaveC wrote:

See this link, similar problem. Could be the station clock is off ...

No such luck. Each station is spot on and agrees with my computer's clock
(I'm using a computer as a DVR).

I assume he meant your cable provider's clock is off, not the programme
providers themselves.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

It has been accepted by many, that NTSC has given *better* color
than PAL ever since solid state electronics have made phase
response stable in the early 1970's.

This is wrong for several reasons.

First, NTSC originally incorporated phase alternation, but it was dropped
because (in the early '50s) there was no easy way to take advantage of its
advantages. (I have the issue of Electronics magazine to prove this. The
earliest NTSC proposals also used equal-bandwidth R & B primaries. In short,
NTSC was basically PAL.)

Phase alternation was also dropped because the US microwave transmission had
excellent group-delay characteristics, which European transmission did not.
So phase-alternation's ability to automatically compensate for hue errors
(caused by non-linear group delay) -- at the cost of desaturation -- was not
much of an advantage.

Strictly speaking, NTSC is "better" than PAL because it provides wider color
bandwidth. The systems are pretty "Tweedle-Dum" and "Tweedle-Dee". They are
slightly different ways of doing exactly the same thing.

The reason NTSC too-often didn't look very good was simply lack of concern.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

William Sommerwerck wrote:

[...]

I thought the audio carrier frequency was lower with NTSC than PAL, giving PAL a
larger video bandwidth.

Yup NTSC's audio carrier is 1.5MHz lower acc to Wikipedia. Plus PAL had 100 more
lines. That's probably where the bandwidth went.

Then wasn't there a 'PAL + ' that recovered video above the audio signal. Never
knew how far that got.
Not sure what to make of this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pal%2B

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

On Tue, 12 May 2009 17:54:57 +0100, Eeyore wrote:

It has been accepted by many, that NTSC has given *better* color than
PAL ever since solid state electronics have made phase response stable
in the early 1970's.

And how do you justify that statement ?

We were broadcasting TV in Britain quite some time before WW2 sonny.

Not in colour

IIRC, QE2's coronation (1953) was the first colour TV broadcast.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

I assume he meant your cable provider's clock is off, not the programme
providers themselves.

Graham

I have no cable service. This is all over-the-air reception (DTV) in the USA.

The stb (set-top-box) converter (DTV-to-NTSC analog) apparently receives time
code from one or more of the local DTV broadcast stations and synchronizes
its clock to the station's. Something in this process is broken. Either the
broadcaster's time info is not being collected properly, or the stb's' clock
is not being synchronized.

Hence my questions.
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

Nobody wrote:

On Tue, 12 May 2009 17:54:57 +0100, Eeyore wrote:

It has been accepted by many, that NTSC has given *better* color than
PAL ever since solid state electronics have made phase response stable
in the early 1970's.

And how do you justify that statement ?

We were broadcasting TV in Britain quite some time before WW2 sonny.

Not in colour

No, but we were well ahead.

IIRC, QE2's coronation (1953) was the first colour TV broadcast.

I doubt that myself. I recall my Dad buying one of the new dual standard UHF
625 line sets plus the original VHF 405 line in the mid 60s just in time to
see the Apollo landings on BBC2 on 625 line. That was in B&W. There was a
selector switch for 405 / 625 ( VHF / UHF ) on the front and each had 4
channel presets available. I 'adopted' that ( tubed ) set once we got a
transistorised colour one and kept it for years.

I think Colour came to the UK on the UHF 625 line standard in the late 60s. I
recall seeing 'Cream' playing their last concert at the Albert Hall in colour
on BBC2 as a 15 year old IIRC and that would be 1969.

It took a long time for the commercial stations to catch up.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

"DaveC" wrote in message
obal.net...
[...]

Well someone goofed. I'd say look for a RTC crystal (32.7khz thingy). If
not there then they are using the main processor clock. It could be just
that the parallel crystal caps are the wrong value, or the crystal is a
cheap cut.
Experiment, make a oven and keep a constant temp, does it loose time?

The programmer forgot to resync the clock from time to time.

Cheers

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

In article Eeyore writes:

Alan wrote:

Eeyore writes:

How deliberately confusing is that ?

PAL = Phase Alternate Line.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL

NTSC = never twice the same colour.
http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Contrib/WorldTV/why.html

Apparently only to someone who has had their brain fried by the 50 Hz
flicker of slow television.

It has been accepted by many, that NTSC has given *better* color than
PAL ever since solid state electronics have made phase response stable
in the early 1970's.

And how do you justify that statement ?

The color gamut of NTSC is wider than PAL. The frame rate of system M
provides visibly better motion rendition (at least to someone who has been
watching system M for years, 50 Hz systems are much poorer at rendering
motion). The phase errors that motivated the creation of PAL basically
ceased to exist in the early '70s when solid state electronics became stable
enough to hold phase without visible errors.

We were broadcasting TV in Britain quite some time before WW2 sonny.

In black and white. In fact, black and white broadcasts were occuring
in the U.S. before WW2 as well.

Alan
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

Eeyore wrote:

akaSoetoro wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Andy from Dover wrote:
"Eeyore" wrote
DaveC wrote:

Model, make etc ?
DTV Pal (also marketed under the model name TR-40) by Dish Network.
Means nothing to me. Why are you using PAL in the USA ?
Not PAL as in the video standard but Pal as in that's what the set-top box
is called. Kind of like VCR meant any format (VHS or Beta) Video Casette
Recorder in the US and not a specific format of Video Casette Recorder or
Video.
How deliberately confusing is that ?

PAL = Phase Alternate Line.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL

NTSC = never twice the same colour.
http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Contrib/WorldTV/why.html

Eeyore=Idiot

There is another acronym.

PAL = Pure Aesthetic Loveliness.

Or PAL = Peace At Last.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

Upgradeable firmware for the STB?

A reply from the manufacturer's support department confirms that no f/w
upgrades are available for the STB. Only the DVR model is supported for f/w
upgrades.
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv

Except the original poster referred to using it for recording, so
it was obvious that he was just shortening the name of the DTVPal DVR.
It was another poster who didn't understand that and mentioned the
TR-40.

Alan

It's a TR-40, just a converter.

I'm using a computer to do the DV recording.

Dave (the OP).

--
John English

Tecumseh Snowblower running to slow?? John Flemming Home Repair 1 February 2nd 08 11:05 AM
slow running hot tap Liz UK diy 2 January 16th 07 08:30 PM
Problem with Intermatic T107-30 Timer - Running Slow Spam Catcher Home Repair 7 December 17th 06 11:04 PM
Computer running slow and locking up [email protected] Electronics Repair 12 November 21st 06 11:06 PM
slow running water dk Home Repair 12 January 9th 06 03:01 AM