Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Joerg Joerg is offline

Default DTV Pal running slow

Eeyore wrote:

Joerg wrote:

Martin Riddle wrote:
"DaveC" wrote in message

My DTV Pal set top box is starting its scheduled channel changes late.
Currently it's running 10 minutes late.

I've disabled "inactivity standby" (which turns it off after certain
time without detecting activity from the remote) because it would
frequently turn
off prior to scheduled recordings. (No, it doesn't wake up to execute
schedules.) This also disables automatic download of stations' program
information including current time (which it does during its "off
time").

Forcing a Reset (holding down the Power button) results in downloading
of program info as well as automatically setting the internal clock
(based on stations' time data). But this gets tedious.

The problem is that if I haven't recently forced a reset, the DTV Pal
will keep running later and later.

Do these things have simple crystal controlled clocks? Suggestions re.
how to stabilize it? Adjust it?
See this link, similar problem. Could be the station clock is off ...
http://qna.omgili.com/jmp/jHIAmI4hxg_hf1cmsoJd0xxDKgr.sJJDgY2wrRwyIqREhKXlHr o4KRiyb0EK9oXKJayrWTKlfM3o2Uh9Qe8WuGSvsO0..e5Anhhz uVjW2he4c0WZiuJ.SzAmHOgYoqU7ht9oBOjiwGqQNXz9kTXkH0 dEOm4_PKBZhAyHUXSTO6k-

Wouldn't surprise me the least bit, considering that they often can't
even keep the guide list current. Or just won't. We regularly turn on
the TV because a movie was announced. Then some other movie plays while
(!) the original one is still listed. Seems nobody gives a hoot there.

My cable provider updates the prgramme guide via cable broadband ( built into the STB ) It can 'go funny' sometimes presumably when traffic is high. It's NEVER 10 mins out though, maybe a minute at worst.

Indeed the STB seems to be a combined TV source and broadband router.

The technology is fine in our case as well. But someone at the station
would need to trudge over to the computer and enter the change. That's
not happening.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/