Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Alan[_5_] Alan[_5_] is offline

Default DTV Pal running slow

In article "Martin Riddle" writes:

"DaveC" wrote in message
lobal.net...
My DTV Pal set top box is starting its scheduled channel changes late.
Currently it's running 10 minutes late.

I've disabled "inactivity standby" (which turns it off after certain
time
without detecting activity from the remote) because it would
frequently turn
off prior to scheduled recordings. (No, it doesn't wake up to execute
schedules.)

Mine records while "off".

I don't know when or how it gets the time on yours, but mine has to
get it from PSIP since the local TVGOS doesn't work. I asked the station
engineer about it, and he said they would get it going, but that was
months ago -- I doubt they are able to make it work.

I have noticed errors all over the place with the PSIP time, one station
was about 13 years slow (time from 1996 or so).

This also disables automatic download of stations' program
information including current time (which it does during its "off
time").

So, let it shut down. It will still record.

Of course, there is no reason it needs to be "off" to download the
time, and no reason it needs to reboot to load the TVGOS guide, but
it continues to try that too. At least it gathers PSIP while on
and active, but it stupidly forgets the PSIP information very rapidly
while looking at it.

Probably cheap offshore programmers doing a bad job of programming.

Other obvious programming problems are that it cannot realize when
it can use 1 tuner for two overlapping recordings from the same channel.

Do these things have simple crystal controlled clocks? Suggestions re.
how to
stabilize it? Adjust it?

Well, if it wants to be "off", let it turn "off".

Alan