Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Anyone familiar with First Alert OneLink detectors?

Recently installed 3 combo and 4 smoke only OneLink wireless devices.
All were set and programmed per the instruction sheet. All
individually test OK when using the test button. However, how can one
determine if all are communicating when an actual alarm occurs?
Testing seems to test only the individual unit. Any ideas? I can
find no such info on the Mfgs web site or in the supplied manual.

Thx

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-10-06 9:59 PM, bobmct wrote:
Recently installed 3 combo and 4 smoke only OneLink wireless devices.
All were set and programmed per the instruction sheet. All
individually test OK when using the test button. However, how can one
determine if all are communicating when an actual alarm occurs?
Testing seems to test only the individual unit. Any ideas? I can
find no such info on the Mfgs web site or in the supplied manual.

Have you got a fireplace, or prepared to badly burn dinner. :-)

--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/6/2015 9:59 PM, bobmct wrote:
Recently installed 3 combo and 4 smoke only OneLink wireless devices.
All were set and programmed per the instruction sheet. All
individually test OK when using the test button. However, how can one
determine if all are communicating when an actual alarm occurs?
Testing seems to test only the individual unit. Any ideas? I can
find no such info on the Mfgs web site or in the supplied manual.

Thx

Fry a pound of bacon
Sear a steak
Light a candle and blow it out under the detector
Set the cat's tail on fire
Burn toast
Burn a crumpled newspaper in a tray and blow it out so the smoke reaches
the detector
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/6/2015 9:59 PM, bobmct wrote:
Recently installed 3 combo and 4 smoke only OneLink wireless devices.
All were set and programmed per the instruction sheet. All
individually test OK when using the test button. However, how can one
determine if all are communicating when an actual alarm occurs?
Testing seems to test only the individual unit. Any ideas? I can
find no such info on the Mfgs web site or in the supplied manual.

Thx

Fry a pound of bacon
Sear a steak
Light a candle and blow it out under the detector
Set the cat's tail on fire
Burn toast
Burn a crumpled newspaper in a tray and blow it out so the smoke reaches
the detector

There is a test spray in a can.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 1:11:44 AM UTC-5, Tony Hwang wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/6/2015 9:59 PM, bobmct wrote:
Recently installed 3 combo and 4 smoke only OneLink wireless devices.
All were set and programmed per the instruction sheet. All
individually test OK when using the test button. However, how can one
determine if all are communicating when an actual alarm occurs?
Testing seems to test only the individual unit. Any ideas? I can
find no such info on the Mfgs web site or in the supplied manual.

Thx

Fry a pound of bacon
Sear a steak
Light a candle and blow it out under the detector
Set the cat's tail on fire
Burn toast
Burn a crumpled newspaper in a tray and blow it out so the smoke reaches
the detector

There is a test spray in a can.

You can get a pot smoker to blow smoke in the detector but it could cause bizarre behavior by the smoke detector. Of course you can always light a Q-Tip and use the smoke from it to test the detector. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Smoky Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/6/2015 11:09 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/6/2015 9:59 PM, bobmct wrote:
Recently installed 3 combo and 4 smoke only OneLink wireless devices.
All were set and programmed per the instruction sheet. All
individually test OK when using the test button. However, how can one
determine if all are communicating when an actual alarm occurs?
Testing seems to test only the individual unit. Any ideas? I can
find no such info on the Mfgs web site or in the supplied manual.

Thx

Fry a pound of bacon
Sear a steak
Light a candle and blow it out under the detector
Set the cat's tail on fire
Burn toast
Burn a crumpled newspaper in a tray and blow it out so the smoke reaches
the detector

Nevermind all the work arounds. he wants a real
test: Burn the house down.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Oct 2015 08:23:54 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Nevermind all the work arounds. he wants a real
test: Burn the house down.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Nevermind all the work arounds. he wants a real
test: Burn the house down.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

OK, OK. I get it.

All great suggestions and I will try some (short of burning the house
down. Of course as the housing market continues to tumble that
suggestion might be the most economical).

If you hear sirens its only because of me and your suggestions!

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 9:59:34 PM UTC-4, bobmct wrote:
Recently installed 3 combo and 4 smoke only OneLink wireless devices.
All were set and programmed per the instruction sheet. All
individually test OK when using the test button. However, how can one
determine if all are communicating when an actual alarm occurs?
Testing seems to test only the individual unit. Any ideas? I can
find no such info on the Mfgs web site or in the supplied manual.

Thx

---

You might want to call First Alert at 1-800-323-9005.

Unless the nice lady I talked to is wrong, she said that pressing the
test button on the main unit should cause all the other units to sound.

Now if that is true, I have an issue with that being the only way to test
all of the features. According to this PDF, the OneLink units operate
on a "mesh network" meaning that devices talk to all devices.

http://www.brkelectronics.com/BRK%20images/OneLink%20FAQ's.pdf

If the only way to test all devices is from the main unit, then how do you
really know that all units are talking to all units? It seems to me that
*any* test button should trigger all units. That is the only way I would
feel comfortable that no matter where the problems occur, all units will
sound.

Well, other than a smoke test, of course.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 21:59:36 -0400, bobmct
wrote:

Recently installed 3 combo and 4 smoke only OneLink wireless devices.
All were set and programmed per the instruction sheet. All
individually test OK when using the test button. However, how can one
determine if all are communicating when an actual alarm occurs?
Testing seems to test only the individual unit. Any ideas? I can
find no such info on the Mfgs web site or in the supplied manual.

Thx

---

I just installed 6 of these in our house -- when I test one, all of
them sound (siren and saying the room name where the test button was
pressed). If they're not all sounding while testing, I'm guessing
they are not set up to link properly. There's a specific sequence you
do on one of the already-linked and the new one on battery install to
add each detector to the network.

Josh

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's how I would hope they would work but that's not what the nice lady
at First Alert Customer Service said.

According to her, you have to test the main one for all to respond. I'm glad
to hear she may be wrong because I would want them all to sound from any
test button. That would be the only way I would know that the mesh networking
feature was working.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

There's no "main one" -- she must just be confused. Obviously, one of
them is the first one you set up, but once you link the first two,
either of those can be used to link the third, any of those to link
the fourth, etc. They're all the same at that point.

And I personally verified multiple times that pressing the test button
on any one sounds the alarm at all of them (and announces the room
that started it, which is nice info to have when they go off). If
that's not happening, they aren't set up/linked correctly, period.

Josh
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 7:24:00 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

.

Here at the center the individual rooms have a through the wall AC and electric heater. When the heater is first turned on after a season of air conditioning, the dust collected on the electric heating elements burns off and the smoke alarm in the room goes off. Dang they're loud. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Smoke Monster