Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New toy

Saw a new - to me - gadget in a newly arrived catalog. "Lazer Bond Rapid
Repair Welder". Supposed to work with most materials. Put a dab of resin on
the joint to be glued, then zap it for three seconds with the included UV
battery-operated laser. $10. Doesn't say how much resin is included or if
resin refills are available.

Better than the fast glues?

Anyone tried this new toy?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/05/2015 8:54 AM, KenK wrote:
Saw a new - to me - gadget in a newly arrived catalog. "Lazer Bond Rapid
Repair Welder". Supposed to work with most materials. Put a dab of resin on
the joint to be glued, then zap it for three seconds with the included UV
battery-operated laser. $10. Doesn't say how much resin is included or if
resin refills are available.

By coincidence was on one of the late local OTA TV channels last night
was first time I'd seen it, too...

Better than the fast glues?

No idea...

Anyone tried this new toy?

As of yet, anyway, no...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/5/2015 8:54 AM, KenK wrote:
Saw a new - to me - gadget in a newly arrived catalog. "Lazer Bond Rapid
Repair Welder". Supposed to work with most materials. Put a dab of resin on
the joint to be glued, then zap it for three seconds with the included UV
battery-operated laser. $10. Doesn't say how much resin is included or if
resin refills are available.

Better than the fast glues?

Anyone tried this new toy?

Sure sounds like a "toy" my dentist uses. Material is cured - near
instantly - with a concentrated UV light source. Perhaps he figures
that I'm old enough to know better, but when he's used it, I don't get
any of that "when you're eating go easy on that side of your mouth for
awhile."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 8:54:27 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
Saw a new - to me - gadget in a newly arrived catalog. "Lazer Bond Rapid
Repair Welder". Supposed to work with most materials. Put a dab of resin on
the joint to be glued, then zap it for three seconds with the included UV
battery-operated laser. $10. Doesn't say how much resin is included or if
resin refills are available.

Better than the fast glues?

Anyone tried this new toy?

TIA

They use the word "lazer" because it isn't a laser...just high-intensity UV like your dentist might use. I'm not saying it doesn't work...but pointing out the hype.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Oct 2015 13:54:22 GMT, KenK wrote:

Saw a new - to me - gadget in a newly arrived catalog. "Lazer Bond Rapid
Repair Welder". Supposed to work with most materials. Put a dab of resin on
the joint to be glued, then zap it for three seconds with the included UV
battery-operated laser. $10. Doesn't say how much resin is included or if
resin refills are available.

Better than the fast glues?

Anyone tried this new toy?

Sounds like 5 Second Fix as seen on TV

Says they bonded a cable and pulled a truck....

https://www.5secondfix.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Oct 2015 13:54:22 GMT, KenK wrote:

Saw a new - to me - gadget in a newly arrived catalog. "Lazer Bond Rapid
Repair Welder". Supposed to work with most materials. Put a dab of resin on
the joint to be glued, then zap it for three seconds with the included UV
battery-operated laser. $10. Doesn't say how much resin is included or if
resin refills are available.

Better than the fast glues?

Anyone tried this new toy?

TIA

My dentist uses the stuff all the time - no more amalgam fillings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on 5 Oct 2015 13:54:22 GMT, KenK
wrote:

Saw a new - to me - gadget in a newly arrived catalog. "Lazer Bond Rapid
Repair Welder". Supposed to work with most materials. Put a dab of resin on
the joint to be glued, then zap it for three seconds with the included UV
battery-operated laser. $10. Doesn't say how much resin is included or if
resin refills are available.

Better than the fast glues?

Anyone tried this new toy?

TIA

No, but I saw it for sale under t he name 60-second Fix, or something
with a number and seconds in the name.

My dentist shone something like that on something he did to my teeth 2
or 3 years ago. Maybe it was a phoney tooth that he painted to match my
real ones. I'd ask him but I had an emergency and he basically ignored
me -- which I find incredible -- and I'm not on good terms with him now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 05 Oct 2015 08:11:26 -0700, Oren
wrote:

On 5 Oct 2015 13:54:22 GMT, KenK wrote:

Saw a new - to me - gadget in a newly arrived catalog. "Lazer Bond Rapid
Repair Welder". Supposed to work with most materials. Put a dab of resin on
the joint to be glued, then zap it for three seconds with the included UV
battery-operated laser. $10. Doesn't say how much resin is included or if
resin refills are available.

Better than the fast glues?

Anyone tried this new toy?

Sounds like 5 Second Fix as seen on TV

Yeah, that's the one. I was groggy so 5 seconds seemed like 60.

Says they bonded a cable and pulled a truck....

https://www.5secondfix.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/5/2015 9:54 AM, KenK wrote:
Saw a new - to me - gadget in a newly arrived catalog. "Lazer Bond Rapid
Repair Welder". Supposed to work with most materials. Put a dab of resin on
the joint to be glued, then zap it for three seconds with the included UV
battery-operated laser. $10. Doesn't say how much resin is included or if
resin refills are available.

Better than the fast glues?

Anyone tried this new toy?

TIA

Don't know what the resin composition is. Could be anything.

Refill would have to be the same resin containing the UV activated catalyst.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/5/2015 9:54 AM, KenK wrote:
Saw a new - to me - gadget in a newly arrived catalog. "Lazer Bond Rapid
Repair Welder". Supposed to work with most materials. Put a dab of resin on
the joint to be glued, then zap it for three seconds with the included UV
battery-operated laser. $10. Doesn't say how much resin is included or if
resin refills are available.

Better than the fast glues?

Anyone tried this new toy?

TIA

Yep, saw it and want to try it.

It was invented by a dentist.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 17:11:18 -0400, Meanie
wrote:

On 10/5/2015 9:54 AM, KenK wrote:
Saw a new - to me - gadget in a newly arrived catalog. "Lazer Bond Rapid
Repair Welder". Supposed to work with most materials. Put a dab of resin on
the joint to be glued, then zap it for three seconds with the included UV
battery-operated laser. $10. Doesn't say how much resin is included or if
resin refills are available.

Better than the fast glues?

Anyone tried this new toy?

TIA

Yep, saw it and want to try it.

It was invented by a dentist.

What interest me is that you can move, adjust parts and adjust things
before you activate the resin. Not like a glue that has a set time
(super glue). Or hot glue.

Ken, have you tried the "toy" yet? Post results, please.

I have my doubts about it fixing a broken fishing line, though
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per KenK:
Saw a new - to me - gadget in a newly arrived catalog. "Lazer Bond Rapid
Repair Welder". Supposed to work with most materials. Put a dab of resin on
the joint to be glued, then zap it for three seconds with the included UV
battery-operated laser. $10. Doesn't say how much resin is included or if
resin refills are available.

Sounds like what my dentist uses when he puts in a filling.

Stuffs it with white epoxy goo, hits it with a UV light... and the stuff
goes off within seconds.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/05/2015 04:00 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Stuffs it with white epoxy goo, hits it with a UV light... and the stuff
goes off within seconds.

Smells like structural acrylic resin to me. We didn't use a UV cure but
once you've worked with it it's not a smell you forget. I don't find it
unpleasant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 05 Oct 2015 19:40:50 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 10/05/2015 04:00 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Stuffs it with white epoxy goo, hits it with a UV light... and the stuff
goes off within seconds.

Smells like structural acrylic resin to me. We didn't use a UV cure but
once you've worked with it it's not a smell you forget. I don't find it
unpleasant.

I don't remember there being any smell at the dentist's office.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in news:e8r51blg73sbn01opffh3ccggfrcsqrv2c@
4ax.com:

Ken, have you tried the "toy" yet? Post results, please.

Thinking, but probably not. They want $4 handling, plus $10 for laser &
resin. Nothing else in the catalog I particularly want. I'm not that
curious. However, if I saw it in a local store for $10 I'd be very tempted,
or if there was something else in the catalog I really wanted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK posted for all of us...

Oren wrote in news:e8r51blg73sbn01opffh3ccggfrcsqrv2c@
4ax.com:

Ken, have you tried the "toy" yet? Post results, please.

Thinking, but probably not. They want $4 handling, plus $10 for laser &
resin. Nothing else in the catalog I particularly want. I'm not that
curious. However, if I saw it in a local store for $10 I'd be very tempted,
or if there was something else in the catalog I really wanted.

Come on! Buy it! Then you can repair teeth and fix stuff like a Xspert.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= wrote in news:B7fRx.51175
:

you can repair teeth

Don't need to. Don't have any.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 10/05/2015 04:00 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Stuffs it with white epoxy goo, hits it with a UV light... and the stuff
goes off within seconds.

Smells like structural acrylic resin to me. We didn't use a UV cure but
once you've worked with it it's not a smell you forget. I don't find it
unpleasant.

I don't remember there being any smell at the dentist's office.

Methacrylate resins are generally used in dental work. Methyl
methacrylate can be smelled at levels below 1 ppm.

Acrylic resins are those usually cured with UV light. The UV activates
the catalyst.
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK posted for all of us...

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= wrote in news:B7fRx.51175
:

you can repair teeth

Don't need to. Don't have any.

What about mine?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8 Oct 2015 17:33:04 GMT, KenK wrote:

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= wrote in news:B7fRx.51175
:

you can repair teeth

Don't need to. Don't have any.

Was it painful to eliminate all the teeth at once and have a long
recovery?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

On 8 Oct 2015 17:33:04 GMT, KenK wrote:

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= wrote in
news:B7fRx.51175 :

you can repair teeth

Don't need to. Don't have any.

Was it painful to eliminate all the teeth at once and have a long
recovery?

Didn't get them pulled all at once. Had no uppers for years - they went a
few at a time till remaining molars on one side and fronts went in two
sessions.

Lowers went a bit slower - three sessions I think it was..

Yes, it hurt! He used the modern version of novocaine. Shots hurt more
than extraction. But recovery only took a few days as I remember.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9 Oct 2015 17:10:44 GMT, KenK wrote:

you can repair teeth

Don't need to. Don't have any.

Was it painful to eliminate all the teeth at once and have a long
recovery?

Didn't get them pulled all at once. Had no uppers for years - they went a
few at a time till remaining molars on one side and fronts went in two
sessions.

Lowers went a bit slower - three sessions I think it was..

Yes, it hurt! He used the modern version of novocaine. Shots hurt more
than extraction. But recovery only took a few days as I remember.

I was just curious. I see newspaper ads for a complete set of implants
or a set of implant dentures "done in one day". I would need some
serious drugs for a guy plowing around in my mouth.

Not sure my heart could stand it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 09:30:55 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

On 10/5/2015 8:54 AM, KenK wrote:
Saw a new - to me - gadget in a newly arrived catalog. "Lazer Bond Rapid
Repair Welder". Supposed to work with most materials. Put a dab of resin on
the joint to be glued, then zap it for three seconds with the included UV
battery-operated laser. $10. Doesn't say how much resin is included or if
resin refills are available.

Better than the fast glues?

Anyone tried this new toy?

Sure sounds like a "toy" my dentist uses. Material is cured - near
instantly - with a concentrated UV light source. Perhaps he figures
that I'm old enough to know better, but when he's used it, I don't get
any of that "when you're eating go easy on that side of your mouth for
awhile."

I'm suspicious. The light source the dentist uses gets hot enough it
has a built in cooling fan and they shield their eyes from the light.
That little UV LED one or two AAA battery light in the "toy"
commercial hardly seems like it would be enough to make any
difference. The stuff they use to attach rear view mirror mounts to
your car windshield relies on the UV light from the sun to cure, this
may be the same stuff marked up 100% and packaged with a $2 UV LED
flashlight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

On 9 Oct 2015 17:10:44 GMT, KenK wrote:

you can repair teeth

Don't need to. Don't have any.

Was it painful to eliminate all the teeth at once and have a long
recovery?

Didn't get them pulled all at once. Had no uppers for years - they
went a few at a time till remaining molars on one side and fronts went
in two sessions.

Lowers went a bit slower - three sessions I think it was..

Yes, it hurt! He used the modern version of novocaine. Shots hurt more
than extraction. But recovery only took a few days as I remember.

I was just curious. I see newspaper ads for a complete set of implants
or a set of implant dentures "done in one day". I would need some
serious drugs for a guy plowing around in my mouth.

These weren't implants. Just ald-fashioned glue-in-every-day dentures.
Can't afford new-fangled implants.

Not sure my heart could stand it.

Not that bad. Don't worry about it.