Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring&breaker for lighting circuit

On Monday, September 28, 2015 at 7:59:20 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 16:10:27 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Monday, September 28, 2015 at 11:40:54 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 07:14:38 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

If you're worried about safety, put up an LED emergency light in your basement hallway or stairwell. ^_^

Excellent idea for anyone.

I have a bunch of small UPS units which need new 12 volt batteries that I can get for $10 each. I plan to replace the batteries and connect one small ups to each LED table lamp in the house. I already have 3kw capacity with all the ups units around the house on all the computers and network gear. I'd be sitting at the computer working and the only way I knew there was a power failure was because of the clicking and beeping from the ups units. I've never bought a new ups for myself, everything I have is rescued and repaired. ^_^

I still have one of the old school battery lights with the big
incandescent floods
When the battery dies I may look at a LED replacement although if I
just put LED bulbs in there, it would last forever on the battery.

I do have a switch in it that puts the lights in series if I want and
makes the battery last a real long time.
That is still plenty of walking around light.

Do you know which bulb fits or is it the type emergency light with sealed beam lamps? I want to put one of the little backup units on each table and desk lamp because that's what's usually on at night. I've tripped and fallen several times when I was at home because I couldn't see my housemate's black dog during low light situations. I could modify the power feed for light over the sink in the bathroom but I have LED flashlights I've used to visit the bathroom when the power is out. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Tripping Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No I haven't actually looked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

I've tripped and fallen several times when I was at home because I couldn't
see my housemate's black dog during low light situations.

I once had a big black dog and he often slept in the hall.

Here, I had a can named Lilly, and she spent a lot of time sleeping in
the hall. I don't usually need much light there but I wanted just enough
to see her. For that purpose, I put up a string of red LED holiday lights.

I also have an old UPS that shuts down if much power is drawn from it,
but it lit those LEDs for several hours this May.

--
87 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The following talk show contains no dysfunctional families, no
humiliating stereotypes, no lewd behavior, and absolutely no
confrontational violence... we apologize for any inconvenience."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 12:53:10 PM UTC-5, Mark Lloyd wrote:
[snip]

I've tripped and fallen several times when I was at home because I couldn't
see my housemate's black dog during low light situations.

I once had a big black dog and he often slept in the hall.

Here, I had a can named Lilly, and she spent a lot of time sleeping in
the hall. I don't usually need much light there but I wanted just enough
to see her. For that purpose, I put up a string of red LED holiday lights..

I also have an old UPS that shuts down if much power is drawn from it,
but it lit those LEDs for several hours this May.

--
Mark Lloyd

I enjoy repurposing technology which is why I rescued the discarded UPS units. Most of them need only a new SLA battery and the smaller ones are perfect for running switches and wireless routers along with LED table lamps. I have two big workstations hooked to a 1.5kw rack mount UPS standing on edge behind one of my 23" LCD monitors on my computer table and a pair of 500w UPS units running the monitors, desk lamps and networking gear in that one room. There are a few more ups units in my housemate's office hooked to a pair of desktops and network gear in that room. It's been some years ago but I came across a 6 foot tall 30kw UPS unit that had run a computer system for a large hotel. It was a beautiful piece of equipment that a surplus equipment dealer had obtained. It was working when replaced with a new smaller ups for a more modern less power hungry computer system that had been installed at the hotel. The beast put out true sine wave three phase 208 vac which would run a fraking house during a power outage. I wish I could have gotten my hands on that thing before the employees of the surplus dealer destroyed it by scattering the big batteries and other parts around the yard. Something like that coupled with a natural gas genset for a home could supply seamless unblinking power for the house making all the neighbors jealous. ~_^

[8~{} Uncle UPS Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 12:53:04 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

[snip]

I've tripped and fallen several times when I was at home because I couldn't
see my housemate's black dog during low light situations.

I once had a big black dog and he often slept in the hall.

Here, I had a can named Lilly, and she spent a lot of time sleeping in
the hall. I don't usually need much light there but I wanted just enough
to see her. For that purpose, I put up a string of red LED holiday lights.

I also have an old UPS that shuts down if much power is drawn from it,
but it lit those LEDs for several hours this May.

That's one of the things I have the motion detectors for.
In the hall, the MD turns on a string of incandescent rope light, cut
in half and wired in series.
I put up crown molding in the hall, about 2: below the ceiling and
dropped the rope in there so it gives me nice indirect lighting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 3:06:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 12:53:04 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

[snip]

I've tripped and fallen several times when I was at home because I couldn't
see my housemate's black dog during low light situations.

I once had a big black dog and he often slept in the hall.

Here, I had a can named Lilly, and she spent a lot of time sleeping in
the hall. I don't usually need much light there but I wanted just enough
to see her. For that purpose, I put up a string of red LED holiday lights.

I also have an old UPS that shuts down if much power is drawn from it,
but it lit those LEDs for several hours this May.

That's one of the things I have the motion detectors for.
In the hall, the MD turns on a string of incandescent rope light, cut
in half and wired in series.
I put up crown molding in the hall, about 2: below the ceiling and
dropped the rope in there so it gives me nice indirect lighting.

There's a fellow in another thread writing about the need to light a hallway that has a low ceiling. I suggested something very similar to what you have except using LED light strips. I personally think it would look great. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Light Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 13:24:39 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 3:06:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 12:53:04 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

I think LED light is a little harsh. If you use the incandescent rope,
the light is a soft yellow and current draw in nil.
We have the same thing under the bathroom kicks, on a motion detector.
Great for that late night pee. You have enough light to see what you
are doing without really shocking yourself awake.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 3:06:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 12:53:04 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

From what I've read, I believe you can get the LED strings that put out light in different color temperatures even looking like incandescent lamps. You should check out EL strips and consider some for your next lighting project. ^_^

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,43349&p=70322

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=EL%20light%20strips

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...rips-and-bars/

http://www.ledsupply.com/led-strips

http://www.californeon.com/

[8~{} Uncle Strip Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 3:06:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 12:53:04 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

From what I've read, I believe you can get the LED strings that put out light in different color temperatures even looking like incandescent lamps. You should check out EL strips and consider some for your next lighting project. ^_^

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,43349&p=70322

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=EL%20light%20strips

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...rips-and-bars/

http://www.ledsupply.com/led-strips

http://www.californeon.com/

[8~{} Uncle Strip Monster

For the small amount of current they draw, it is probably not worth
doing.
Wired in series the ones I have will last longer than me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 3:06:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 12:53:04 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

From what I've read, I believe you can get the LED strings that put out light in different color temperatures even looking like incandescent lamps. You should check out EL strips and consider some for your next lighting project. ^_^

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,43349&p=70322

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=EL%20light%20strips

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...rips-and-bars/

http://www.ledsupply.com/led-strips

http://www.californeon.com/

[8~{} Uncle Strip Monster

For the small amount of current they draw, it is probably not worth
doing.
Wired in series the ones I have will last longer than me.

It's a heck of a consideration when starting a project or building something. "Is this going to last longer than me?" I wonder if the pyramid builders were thinking the same thing when they took on their little DIY project? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Egyptian Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 3:06:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 12:53:04 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

From what I've read, I believe you can get the LED strings that put out light in different color temperatures even looking like incandescent lamps. You should check out EL strips and consider some for your next lighting project. ^_^

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,43349&p=70322

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=EL%20light%20strips

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...rips-and-bars/

http://www.ledsupply.com/led-strips

http://www.californeon.com/

[8~{} Uncle Strip Monster

For the small amount of current they draw, it is probably not worth
doing.
Wired in series the ones I have will last longer than me.

It's a heck of a consideration when starting a project or building something. "Is this going to last longer than me?" I wonder if the pyramid builders were thinking the same thing when they took on their little DIY project? ^_^

Pyramid builders had a different objective. The pharaoh was going to
live there forever.
In the case of these lights, who knows what technology might come
along that is better than LED?

Posted to alt.home.repair

HOW MUCH OF AC YOU HAVE TO COMPENSATE THE HEAT ???

wrote in message

Hi. I'm laying out my basement lighting. I expect to have 25 recessed
lights, each is 75watt max rating (even though I will use LED, I know I must
still assume max rating of fixture). 25x75=1875watts/120V = 15.6amps.
So, I cannot use one 15amp breaker and 14awg wire.
Can I wire all the lights with 12awg and a 20amp breaker?
All comments appreciated.

Thanks
Theodore

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 Oct 2015 10:01:01 -0700, "tony944" wrote:

HOW MUCH OF AC YOU HAVE TO COMPENSATE THE HEAT ???

A little over a half a ton (6.4 kbtu sensible heat)