Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring&breaker for lighting circuit

On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 13:24:39 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 3:06:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 12:53:04 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

[snip]

I've tripped and fallen several times when I was at home because I couldn't
see my housemate's black dog during low light situations.

I once had a big black dog and he often slept in the hall.

Here, I had a can named Lilly, and she spent a lot of time sleeping in
the hall. I don't usually need much light there but I wanted just enough
to see her. For that purpose, I put up a string of red LED holiday lights.

I also have an old UPS that shuts down if much power is drawn from it,
but it lit those LEDs for several hours this May.

That's one of the things I have the motion detectors for.
In the hall, the MD turns on a string of incandescent rope light, cut
in half and wired in series.
I put up crown molding in the hall, about 2: below the ceiling and
dropped the rope in there so it gives me nice indirect lighting.

There's a fellow in another thread writing about the need to light a hallway that has a low ceiling. I suggested something very similar to what you have except using LED light strips. I personally think it would look great. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Light Monster

I think LED light is a little harsh. If you use the incandescent rope,
the light is a soft yellow and current draw in nil.
We have the same thing under the bathroom kicks, on a motion detector.
Great for that late night pee. You have enough light to see what you
are doing without really shocking yourself awake.