Robert11

Default Circuit Breaker Wiring Question ?

Hello:

I am thinking about installing an Intermatic Surge Protector, Model IG1240RC
(which replaces their EG240RC) in my 25 year old circuit breaker box.
The box is a Federal Pacific Electric Model No. is LX112-24.

The Intermatic unit's wiring instructions, and probably the only practical
way, have it connected to each side of the line via a dedicated circuit
breaker for each leg.

The problem I have is that although I have been beating the bushes trying to
find someone who has breakers that will fit this box (tried North American
Switchgear and also Voyten Electric) with no luck. Will keep looking, and
might luck out, but it looks like they are probably really unavailable.
Really don't want to replace the box with a new one.

So, my question is this:

I remember from reading the NEC codes a while back that it is a real sin to
have 2 (black) wires going to a single breaker. This was written for two
branch circuits, of course, and that each branch must have its own breaker.

I am wondering if this would also be a no-no if I connected the surge
protector wire to a circuit breaker that is also feeding a branch circuit ?
This seems a bit different than what the code was implying shouldn't be
done, and was wondering if this might be allowable.

It would sure solve my problem easily.

What do you think ?

Thanks,
Bob

Chris Lewis

According to Robert11 :
The problem I have is that although I have been beating the bushes trying to
find someone who has breakers that will fit this box (tried North American
Switchgear and also Voyten Electric) with no luck. Will keep looking, and
might luck out, but it looks like they are probably really unavailable.
Really don't want to replace the box with a new one.

Federal Pioneer (the Canadian arm of Federal Pacific) still exists, and
the breakers are still being made.

You can mailorder new ones from Canada. Most electrical suppliers,
hardware stores and big box stores in Canada stock 'em.

Google for "Federal Pioneer" - you'll find lots.

I remember from reading the NEC codes a while back that it is a real sin to
have 2 (black) wires going to a single breaker. This was written for two
branch circuits, of course, and that each branch must have its own breaker.

I am wondering if this would also be a no-no if I connected the surge
protector wire to a circuit breaker that is also feeding a branch circuit ?
This seems a bit different than what the code was implying shouldn't be
done, and was wondering if this might be allowable.

This is one of those times where you need to ask the inspector inspecting
your work.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

You can get them used on eBay. If you need a two pole breaker, get a
new one from Canada. The two pole US ones are famous for leaving the
current on one side on if tripped (bad).

"I am wondering if this would also be a no-no if I connected the surge
protector wire to a circuit breaker that is also feeding a branch
circuit ?
This seems a bit different than what the code was implying shouldn't be

done, and was wondering if this might be allowable. "

I think the reason the code doesn't allow this is the breaker
connection points are not rated and safe for having two wires in the
same connection. The issue being, that they could come loose. Don;t
think it matters whether they go to branch circuits or only one circuit
and the surge protector.