Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hanging a shelf in drywall

I'm trying to find where the studs are on a wall in my bathroom so I can
hand a shelf and at least have some screws go into a couple of studs,
but my stud finder is weird. I can go over the same spot multiple times
and sometimes the stud finder light goes on as if there's a stud there,
and then I'll go over the same spot again to confirm and it doesn't
light up.

Is there a way to confirm a stud is there before actually drilling a
hole since the stud finder is being weird? I don't know if I'm holding
it right or not, or does it matter?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Aug 2015 15:23:59 -0500, Muggles wrote:

Is there a way to confirm a stud is there before actually drilling a
hole since the stud finder is being weird? I don't know if I'm holding
it right or not, or does it matter?

Yes. Drive a 4d finish nail in the suspect area. Either side of the
stud is the wrong place. Mark with a pencil.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Aug 2015 15:23:59 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I'm trying to find where the studs are on a wall in my bathroom so I can
hand a shelf and at least have some screws go into a couple of studs,
but my stud finder is weird. I can go over the same spot multiple times
and sometimes the stud finder light goes on as if there's a stud there,
and then I'll go over the same spot again to confirm and it doesn't
light up.

Is there a way to confirm a stud is there before actually drilling a
hole since the stud finder is being weird? I don't know if I'm holding
it right or not, or does it matter?

You could try the knocking on the wall with your knuckle and hear the
difference in sound to locate the stud -- but that has never worked
for me. In a situation where I'm not sure, such as yours, because of
maybe electrical wires, plumbing or whatever, I have to resort to
drilling a series of 1/16" holes to accurately locate the stud, but
that means a little more work to fix the wall. :-(
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/15 4:23 PM, Muggles wrote:

I'm trying to find where the studs are on a wall in my bathroom so I can
hand a shelf and at least have some screws go into a couple of studs,
but my stud finder is weird. I can go over the same spot multiple times
and sometimes the stud finder light goes on as if there's a stud there,
and then I'll go over the same spot again to confirm and it doesn't
light up.

Is there a way to confirm a stud is there before actually drilling a
hole since the stud finder is being weird? I don't know if I'm holding
it right or not, or does it matter?

Try a magnetic stud finder, (or just a good strong magnet)
Find the drywall nails, and line up a stud from the nail locations.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1289967
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/07/2015 01:39 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

You could try the knocking on the wall with your knuckle and hear the
difference in sound to locate the stud -- but that has never worked
for me. In a situation where I'm not sure, such as yours, because of
maybe electrical wires, plumbing or whatever, I have to resort to
drilling a series of 1/16" holes to accurately locate the stud, but
that means a little more work to fix the wall. :-(

I also do the "series of little holes" if I am putting in something like
a lag screw which needs to support some weight; one swipe of some
spackle fixes the holes until I get around to painting the spackle.
Otherwise, if it's not something carrying a load, I'll just get it close
enough with the stud finder.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 7, 2015 at 3:23:58 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
I'm trying to find where the studs are on a wall in my bathroom so I can
hand a shelf and at least have some screws go into a couple of studs,
but my stud finder is weird. I can go over the same spot multiple times
and sometimes the stud finder light goes on as if there's a stud there,
and then I'll go over the same spot again to confirm and it doesn't
light up.

Is there a way to confirm a stud is there before actually drilling a
hole since the stud finder is being weird? I don't know if I'm holding
it right or not, or does it matter?

--
Maggie

How much weight are you planning to put on the shelf? (€¢à¸´_€¢à¸´)?

[8~{} Uncle Heavy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/15 4:23 PM, Muggles wrote:

I'm trying to find where the studs are on a wall in my bathroom so I can
hand a shelf and at least have some screws go into a couple of studs,
but my stud finder is weird. I can go over the same spot multiple times
and sometimes the stud finder light goes on as if there's a stud there,
and then I'll go over the same spot again to confirm and it doesn't
light up.

Is there a way to confirm a stud is there before actually drilling a
hole since the stud finder is being weird? I don't know if I'm holding
it right or not, or does it matter?

I have a cheap little stud finder that's a metal detector. It lights up
and beeps when it gets near metal. It works great when it works, but
it's temperamental to adjust.

In the 1980s, I got an Archer stud finder that apparently works on
inaudible sound. Like you, I found it frustrating.

Today I got it from the shelf and put in a new battery. It was erratic.
I could scan 5 feet without finding a stud. There's a molded arrow on
the top. The tip of the arrow is at the end, so I was holding the end
against the wall.

Noticing felt on the bottom, I decided to hold the flat bottom against
the wall. Bingo! About 75 years ago, drywall was put over the original
wall. This would be a challenge for a stud finder, but it clearly
identified them all.

On the back, the instructions say to hold it flat against the wall. I've
always ignored instructions. I assume they're written for smart people
and would only confuse me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/2015 3:30 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 7 Aug 2015 15:23:59 -0500, Muggles wrote:

Is there a way to confirm a stud is there before actually drilling a
hole since the stud finder is being weird? I don't know if I'm holding
it right or not, or does it matter?

Yes. Drive a 4d finish nail in the suspect area. Either side of the
stud is the wrong place. Mark with a pencil.

I went searching for a finish nail and couldn't fine one so just ended
up with a regular flat head nail with a small diameter. Turns out there
weren't any studs where I wanted to put the shelf, and I used your
method to look. Thanks!

It came as a kit, though. It was a 4ft wide wire shelf like this one.

http://snipurl.com/2a4u9b2 (3ft wide here)

or (full link)

http://www.lowes.com/pd_246457-315-3...8&kpid=3162197

It came with drywall anchor/hooks and 2 shelf props that also had
drywall anchors. I just ended up using the drywall anchors even though
I had some wood screws in case I needed them.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/2015 3:39 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
[...]

I tried knocking on the wallboard to see if I could tell the difference
in the sound and sometimes I thought I could and other times not, so I
gave up on that idea. Glad I'm not the only one.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/2015 3:45 PM, Retired wrote:
On 8/7/15 4:23 PM, Muggles wrote:

I'm trying to find where the studs are on a wall in my bathroom so I can
hand a shelf and at least have some screws go into a couple of studs,
but my stud finder is weird. I can go over the same spot multiple times
and sometimes the stud finder light goes on as if there's a stud there,
and then I'll go over the same spot again to confirm and it doesn't
light up.

Is there a way to confirm a stud is there before actually drilling a
hole since the stud finder is being weird? I don't know if I'm holding
it right or not, or does it matter?

Try a magnetic stud finder, (or just a good strong magnet)
Find the drywall nails, and line up a stud from the nail locations.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1289967

hmmm I don't have one of those, but I did have a level and got the
shelf on the bubble! Kind of proud of myself. Took me 3 times as long
as someone who does this sort of thing, though.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/2015 4:40 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, August 7, 2015 at 3:23:58 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
I'm trying to find where the studs are on a wall in my bathroom so I can
hand a shelf and at least have some screws go into a couple of studs,
but my stud finder is weird. I can go over the same spot multiple times
and sometimes the stud finder light goes on as if there's a stud there,
and then I'll go over the same spot again to confirm and it doesn't
light up.

Is there a way to confirm a stud is there before actually drilling a
hole since the stud finder is being weird? I don't know if I'm holding
it right or not, or does it matter?

--
Maggie

How much weight are you planning to put on the shelf? (€¢à¸´_€¢à¸´)?

[8~{} Uncle Heavy Monster

Just towels and maybe a couple of small plants. There's a skylight
nearby so they'd get plenty of light there.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/2015 5:27 PM, J Burns wrote:
On 8/7/15 4:23 PM, Muggles wrote:

[...]

LOL! I kind of enjoy doing little projects around the house. Years ago
I followed my husband around as his assistant on working on houses. I
did mud work on sheet rock, patched damaged walls, sanded them, painted
(I did more trim work with oil base paint, though), and did wallpaper,
too. Now, I go pffffffft! Not going to do that stuff if I can get away
with it! I just can't balance on ladders like I used to, and don't have
the strength in my arms and hands to sand like I used to, either.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Aug 2015 18:27:47 -0400, J Burns wrote:

I have a cheap little stud finder that's a metal detector. It lights up
and beeps when it gets near metal. It works great when it works, but
it's temperamental to adjust.

Heck. I walk down Aisle six at HD the and alarms go off.

Even smart phones detect me, using the proper App.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 7 Aug 2015 15:23:59 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

I'm trying to find where the studs are on a wall in my bathroom so I can
hand a shelf and at least have some screws go into a couple of studs,
but my stud finder is weird. I can go over the same spot multiple times
and sometimes the stud finder light goes on as if there's a stud there,
and then I'll go over the same spot again to confirm and it doesn't
light up.

Do you have tile on the wall? Does it go to the ceiling? Get a little
step ladder and look for the studs above the tile. In fact, even if
you don't have tile on the wall, go up higher or lower to look for the
studs.

Is there a way to confirm a stud is there before actually drilling a
hole since the stud finder is being weird? I don't know if I'm holding
it right or not, or does it matter?

Yes. If it's an electronic stud finder, not just a little magnet on a
pivot inside a plastic box, you need the back of it against the wall and
the writing on the front right-side up so it can be read.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The wall only had tile about 12 inches above the tub. This bathroom
only has a tub and no shower, which, I like.

It was weird trying to find the studs, tho. Where the stud finder said
a stud was, it was just wall board. I ended up having to use all wall
board inserts that came with the shelf.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Aug 2015 15:23:59 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I'm trying to find where the studs are on a wall in my bathroom so I can
hand a shelf and at least have some screws go into a couple of studs,
but my stud finder is weird. I can go over the same spot multiple times
and sometimes the stud finder light goes on as if there's a stud there,
and then I'll go over the same spot again to confirm and it doesn't
light up.

Is there a way to confirm a stud is there before actually drilling a
hole since the stud finder is being weird? I don't know if I'm holding
it right or not, or does it matter?

get a better stud finder
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 Aug 2015 15:39:04 -0500, Gordon Shumway
wrote:

[...]

in drywall the old magnet on a string, ot a "comps" stud finder
works good to find the screws or nails holding the drywall to the
studs. The studs run vertically up and down from the screw/nail. When
you find one, check for another above or below wihin 2 feet to confirm
- then measure 16 inches across in either direction to find the next
row of screws/nails.

That is one "better stud finder"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
On 8/7/2015 3:30 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 7 Aug 2015 15:23:59 -0500, Muggles wrote:

Is there a way to confirm a stud is there before actually drilling a
hole since the stud finder is being weird? I don't know if I'm
holding
it right or not, or does it matter?

Yes. Drive a 4d finish nail in the suspect area. Either side of the
stud is the wrong place. Mark with a pencil.

I went searching for a finish nail and couldn't fine one so just ended
up with a regular flat head nail with a small diameter. Turns out
there
weren't any studs where I wanted to put the shelf, and I used your
method to look. Thanks!

It came as a kit, though. It was a 4ft wide wire shelf like this one.

Yes, it matters how you hold it.

If there were no studs over a four foot area your house is built wrong

Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
On 8/7/2015 4:40 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

How much weight are you planning to put on the shelf? (.?_.?)?

[8~{} Uncle Heavy Monster

Just towels and maybe a couple of small plants.

Drywall anchors would suffice for that. I used to use molly bolts, now I
use these...
http://www.homedepot.com/p/E-Z-Ancor...5200/100133106

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm trying to find where the studs are on a wall in my bathroom so I can
hand a shelf and at least have some screws go into a couple of studs,
but my stud finder is weird. I can go over the same spot multiple times
and sometimes the stud finder light goes on as if there's a stud there,
and then I'll go over the same spot again to confirm and it doesn't
light up.

Is there a way to confirm a stud is there before actually drilling a
hole since the stud finder is being weird? I don't know if I'm holding
it right or not, or does it matter?

Measure 4' from any corner and you should have a stud. From there measure 16" in either direction to find a stud. The original builders needed a stud every four feet to land the edge of their wallboard. I also look where electrical outlets and switches are installed. They are usually attached to the side of a stud. I also look for signs of nail pops. I hold a flashlight close to the wall and can usually see shadows of nail indentations or pops.

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV

Posted to alt.home.repair

John G writes:

[...]

Wouldn't that be 4' from half the corners?
Unless the wall is a multiple of 4' one corner
is going to off?

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/8/2015 5:49 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Muggles wrote:
On 8/7/2015 4:40 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

How much weight are you planning to put on the shelf? (.?_.?)?

[8~{} Uncle Heavy Monster

Just towels and maybe a couple of small plants.

Drywall anchors would suffice for that. I used to use molly bolts, now I
use these...
http://www.homedepot.com/p/E-Z-Ancor...5200/100133106

ahh I actually almost bought some of those to hang another shelf with,
but was advised to use metal anchors instead.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/8/2015 9:43 AM, Dan Espen wrote:
John G writes:

[...]

There is a bath tub on 2 walls of this bathroom, and the stud finder was
showing to have studs in weird places around where the tub is at. I
ended up trying the test nail idea that Oren posted where the shelf
needed to be hung and there were 5 anchors I needed to space evenly
across the wall and none of them had a stud behind where the anchors
needed to go.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

John G writes:

[...]

Once I found out how to hold my stud finder, it alerted on some spots
where there probably was no stud. No problem. If it has found a stud,
it should alert above and below that spot and 16" on either side. To be
methodical, one could put a bit of masking tape on each alert spot, then
look at the pattern.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John G writes:

[...]

I suppose I should have tried harder, but I was getting frustrated and
went with the nail in the wall looking for a stud thing that Oren
mentioned. It turned out there wasn't a stud. I have to hand 2 more
shelves, so maybe I'll actually get lucky and find one this time.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Aug 2015 18:19:33 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I suppose I should have tried harder, but I was getting frustrated and
went with the nail in the wall looking for a stud thing that Oren
mentioned. It turned out there wasn't a stud. I have to hand 2 more
shelves, so maybe I'll actually get lucky and find one this time.

There is a smart phone App. Not having one I just use a nail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZmd5vkag7o
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/8/2015 7:48 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 8 Aug 2015 18:19:33 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I suppose I should have tried harder, but I was getting frustrated and
went with the nail in the wall looking for a stud thing that Oren
mentioned. It turned out there wasn't a stud. I have to hand 2 more
shelves, so maybe I'll actually get lucky and find one this time.

There is a smart phone App. Not having one I just use a nail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZmd5vkag7o

I'll be darn. How bout that! That's cool. Thanks.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang writes:

Dan Espen wrote:
John G writes:

[...]

Me use'm stud finder just fine.
Just trying to clarify this 4' from the corner rule.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Aug 2015 20:32:04 -0500, Muggles wrote:

On 8/8/2015 7:48 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 8 Aug 2015 18:19:33 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I suppose I should have tried harder, but I was getting frustrated and
went with the nail in the wall looking for a stud thing that Oren
mentioned. It turned out there wasn't a stud. I have to hand 2 more
shelves, so maybe I'll actually get lucky and find one this time.

There is a smart phone App. Not having one I just use a nail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZmd5vkag7o

I'll be darn. How bout that! That's cool. Thanks.

Another method, quite good. He uses a screw in lieu of a nail.

_How To Find a Stud Without a Stud Finder _

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XALXlx5cc1s

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

My father taught me how to find studs back in the 1960's when I worked with him during my summers off. No electronic stud finders back then. A magnet worked too if you found a nail head. I bought an electronic stud finder many years ago. I have no idea where it is. When I go in someone's house to work, I first look at the wall switches and outlets to get an idea where studs are. I know that studs are usually 16" apart so it is easy to measure. If you have ever installed drywall or paneling, you know that you need a stud on the edge otherwise you can't nail the end down.

Anyway stud finders are so 90's. You now need to have a scanner to find a stud in the wall: http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Wall-Scanner

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 10:50:09 -0700 (PDT), John G
wrote:

You now need to have a scanner to find a stud in the wall: http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Wall-Scanner

At the cost of $399.99 -- sorry I'll pass on that idea. I'd expect
you need to find a lot of stubs for that cost.

Pencil, measuring tape and a nail work very well for a DIY shelf
install. Just sayin'.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/8/2015 7:48 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 8 Aug 2015 18:19:33 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I suppose I should have tried harder, but I was getting frustrated and
went with the nail in the wall looking for a stud thing that Oren
mentioned. It turned out there wasn't a stud. I have to hand 2 more
shelves, so maybe I'll actually get lucky and find one this time.

There is a smart phone App. Not having one I just use a nail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZmd5vkag7o

I'll be darn. How bout that! That's cool. Thanks.

Another method, quite good. He uses a screw in lieu of a nail.

_How To Find a Stud Without a Stud Finder _

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XALXlx5cc1s

I tried that tapping on the wall thing and I couldn't hear the
difference in the sound of hollow vs stud.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 15:17:37 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I tried that tapping on the wall thing and I couldn't hear the
difference in the sound of hollow vs stud.

Did you try knocking; instead of tapping, like a man might do?

Please don't break your French manicured nails.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/9/2015 3:42 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 15:17:37 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I tried that tapping on the wall thing and I couldn't hear the
difference in the sound of hollow vs stud.

Did you try knocking; instead of tapping, like a man might do?

I used my knuckles to tap/knock on the wall the same as knocking on a
door, and I knocked on the wall firmly. I just couldn't hear the difference.

Please don't break your French manicured nails.

No French manicured nails for me. I tried that once and it didn't last
very long. I like pinks, and reds, and purples (color) on my nails. If
I break one I've learned how to repair them with super blue, some thin
tissue on top of it to harden, and I buff the break smooth and let it
grow out.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 16:17:04 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I used my knuckles to tap/knock on the wall the same as knocking on a
door, and I knocked on the wall firmly. I just couldn't hear the difference.

As shown. The difference is distinguished by a hollow or solid sound.
--
"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up."
-- Lily Tomlin
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/9/2015 4:41 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 16:17:04 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I used my knuckles to tap/knock on the wall the same as knocking on a
door, and I knocked on the wall firmly. I just couldn't hear the difference.

As shown. The difference is distinguished by a hollow or solid sound.

My hearing isn't all that great. Sometimes, I thought I heard a higher
pitch, but I just wasn't sure.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 16:42:38 -0500, Muggles wrote:

On 8/9/2015 4:41 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 16:17:04 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I used my knuckles to tap/knock on the wall the same as knocking on a
door, and I knocked on the wall firmly. I just couldn't hear the difference.

As shown. The difference is distinguished by a hollow or solid sound.

My hearing isn't all that great. Sometimes, I thought I heard a higher
pitch, but I just wasn't sure.

Try a mechanic's or doctor's stethoscope. Or have a hearing test?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/9/2015 4:41 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 16:17:04 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I used my knuckles to tap/knock on the wall the same as knocking on a
door, and I knocked on the wall firmly. I just couldn't hear the difference.

As shown. The difference is distinguished by a hollow or solid sound.

My hearing isn't all that great. Sometimes, I thought I heard a higher
pitch, but I just wasn't sure.

Try a mechanic's or doctor's stethoscope. Or have a hearing test?

{{scribbles notes for shopping and to do list}}

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 16:57:38 -0500, Muggles wrote:

My hearing isn't all that great. Sometimes, I thought I heard a higher
pitch, but I just wasn't sure.

Try a mechanic's or doctor's stethoscope. Or have a hearing test?

{{scribbles notes for shopping and to do list}}

Speak up. I can't hear you!

Hanging drywall - alone Eigenvector Home Repair 20 August 18th 17 10:11 PM
Long hanging rail and shelf Andrew May UK diy 6 March 17th 12 06:48 PM
Hanging drywall stryped[_3_] Metalworking 5 October 27th 09 08:26 PM
Hanging in Drywall Senin Home Repair 7 June 17th 08 04:43 PM
Hanging a Shelf Mantel Zimmer Woodworking 4 March 26th 08 12:53 AM