Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles Muggles is offline

Default Hanging a shelf in drywall

On 8/8/2015 9:43 AM, Dan Espen wrote:
John G writes:

I'm trying to find where the studs are on a wall in my bathroom so I can
hand a shelf and at least have some screws go into a couple of studs,
but my stud finder is weird. I can go over the same spot multiple times
and sometimes the stud finder light goes on as if there's a stud there,
and then I'll go over the same spot again to confirm and it doesn't
light up.

Is there a way to confirm a stud is there before actually drilling a
hole since the stud finder is being weird? I don't know if I'm holding
it right or not, or does it matter?

Measure 4' from any corner and you should have a stud. From there
measure 16" in either direction to find a stud. The original builders
needed a stud every four feet to land the edge of their wallboard. I
also look where electrical outlets and switches are installed. They
are usually attached to the side of a stud. I also look for signs of
nail pops. I hold a flashlight close to the wall and can usually see
shadows of nail indentations or pops.

Wouldn't that be 4' from half the corners?
Unless the wall is a multiple of 4' one corner
is going to off?

There is a bath tub on 2 walls of this bathroom, and the stud finder was
showing to have studs in weird places around where the tub is at. I
ended up trying the test nail idea that Oren posted where the shelf
needed to be hung and there were 5 anchors I needed to space evenly
across the wall and none of them had a stud behind where the anchors
needed to go.

--
Maggie