Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles Muggles is offline

Default Hanging a shelf in drywall

On 8/7/2015 3:30 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 7 Aug 2015 15:23:59 -0500, Muggles wrote:

Is there a way to confirm a stud is there before actually drilling a
hole since the stud finder is being weird? I don't know if I'm holding
it right or not, or does it matter?

Yes. Drive a 4d finish nail in the suspect area. Either side of the
stud is the wrong place. Mark with a pencil.

I went searching for a finish nail and couldn't fine one so just ended
up with a regular flat head nail with a small diameter. Turns out there
weren't any studs where I wanted to put the shelf, and I used your
method to look. Thanks!

It came as a kit, though. It was a 4ft wide wire shelf like this one.

http://snipurl.com/2a4u9b2 (3ft wide here)

or (full link)

http://www.lowes.com/pd_246457-315-3...8&kpid=3162197

It came with drywall anchor/hooks and 2 shelf props that also had
drywall anchors. I just ended up using the drywall anchors even though
I had some wood screws in case I needed them.

--
Maggie