Posted to alt.home.repair
John G[_8_] John G[_8_] is offline

Default Hanging a shelf in drywall

I'm trying to find where the studs are on a wall in my bathroom so I can
hand a shelf and at least have some screws go into a couple of studs,
but my stud finder is weird. I can go over the same spot multiple times
and sometimes the stud finder light goes on as if there's a stud there,
and then I'll go over the same spot again to confirm and it doesn't
light up.

Is there a way to confirm a stud is there before actually drilling a
hole since the stud finder is being weird? I don't know if I'm holding
it right or not, or does it matter?

Measure 4' from any corner and you should have a stud. From there measure 16" in either direction to find a stud. The original builders needed a stud every four feet to land the edge of their wallboard. I also look where electrical outlets and switches are installed. They are usually attached to the side of a stud. I also look for signs of nail pops. I hold a flashlight close to the wall and can usually see shadows of nail indentations or pops.

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV